Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.3?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, while adding the drag & drop audio file support for the Media Player, I noticed that one thing was pissing me off: the dock would open an insertion point as soon as the mouse pointer entered it.

Now, this is fine when you actually want to add items to the dock, but when you want to drop something *into* an icon (whether to change its image or to open a document with a particular application) it is... a bit cumbersome because the new insertion point causes the target icon to move, so you then have to adjust to that as well. It was actually getting on my nerves, lol

Am I alone in feeling like this?

So, I changed things a bit: the insertion point is now only added to the dock when the mouse pointer moves away from the 6/8 center portion of the icon, i.e.; for an horizontal dock, if you target an icon and manage to stay inside the center vertical column that is 6/8 of the width of the icon, the dock does not create an insertion point at all. It is only when you move the mouse pointer into the horizontal margins of the icon (i.e.; each margin is 1/8 the width of the icon) or into the space between icons that the insertion point is first created.

What do you guys think?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yep, sounds good here. It's been irritating the hell out of me every time I drop something in the recycler not only in the dock but also the shelf. In the latter, you're left with an empty space and have to drag the icon back next to the recycler.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Yep, sounds good here. It's been irritating the hell out of me every time I drop something in the recycler not only in the dock but also the shelf. In the latter, you're left with an empty space and have to drag the icon back next to the recycler.

Ok, one thing though: once the insertion point is added to the dock or Shelf, it is only removed when you mouse away from it. What does this mean? If you are dragging an object that is itself in the Shelf or dock to (e.g.) the recycler in the same Shelf or dock, you will get an insertion point anyway because to get to the recycler icon you have to move it across other icons, and once you move past the boundary between icons you always get an insertion point.

Anyway, nearly there for a public beta. Want to add a volume indicator to the Media Player Control Bar first though.

There is something else I'm thinking about adding before the beta too (maybe I'm bored? lol), but this one is strictly eye candy related. Just not sure if anyone would actually use them, eheh.

So, basically, it's different overlays/effects for windowed alarms. Currently you have the glass reflection, but I've been playing around and came up with alternative overlays that I think would look nice too: thick water droplets, rain dripping down wet glass, cracked glass, splattered ice, and a rainbow overlay. These are all static overlays, and would be used *instead* of the glass reflection; so, basically you would be able to choose which of the available overlays to display on the alarm window: the standard glass reflection, the other overlays I mentioned just now, and even No Overlay at all.

In addition I could also add animated water effects (like the ones that already exist for the dock) so the LCD display (just the display, not the bezel!) would act like a liquid surface: animated rain ripples, ondulation, and a combination of both. If you guys already tried the alpha of the Winstep Theme Builder, you will know what that would look like.

So, any thoughts, even if negative?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And since it's hard to visualize things like this, here are a few *mockups*:

Attachment:
AlarmWaterDroplets.png
AlarmWaterDroplets.png [ 148.6 KiB | Viewed 15348 times ]

Attachment:
AlarmRain.png
AlarmRain.png [ 372.81 KiB | Viewed 15348 times ]

Attachment:
AlarmBrokenGlass.png
AlarmBrokenGlass.png [ 128.83 KiB | Viewed 15348 times ]
Attachment:
AlarmIce.png
AlarmIce.png [ 303.48 KiB | Viewed 15348 times ]

What do you guys think?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 pm 

me likey, except for first and last one maybe adjust the transparency?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:46 am 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Ok, while adding the drag & drop audio file support for the Media Player, I noticed that one thing was pissing me off: the dock would open an insertion point as soon as the mouse pointer entered it.

Now, this is fine when you actually want to add items to the dock, but when you want to drop something *into* an icon (whether to change its image or to open a document with a particular application) it is... a bit cumbersome because the new insertion point causes the target icon to move, so you then have to adjust to that as well. It was actually getting on my nerves, lol

Am I alone in feeling like this?

Yes, that is most definetly anoying. I am curious how your solution will work. One idea: why not add an modifier key, that needs to be kept pressed in order for the insertion point to be created? You can make an togle button in the interface. In fact, you could make an entire section of settings that are geared towards those that already have a setup established. That way you could make happy the new users or those that constantly change their layout and those that have a more static approach and favour a more speedy workflow.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:47 am 

All the changes to the IC Media Player makes that a great tool to use. Thumbs up for your efforts Jorge!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
All the changes to the IC Media Player makes that a great tool to use. Thumbs up for your efforts Jorge!

Hey! And where's your opinion about the alarm overlays? :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:08 pm 

Alarm overlays look awesome :D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Ok, one thing though: once the insertion point is added to the dock or Shelf, it is only removed when you mouse away from it. What does this mean? If you are dragging an object that is itself in the Shelf or dock to (e.g.) the recycler in the same Shelf or dock, you will get an insertion point anyway because to get to the recycler icon you have to move it across other icons, and once you move past the boundary between icons you always get an insertion point.

Sounds fine to me, perfectly simple and sensible.
winstep wrote:
....So, basically, it's different overlays/effects for windowed alarms. Currently you have the glass reflection, but I've been playing around and came up with alternative overlays that I think would look nice too: thick water droplets, rain dripping down wet glass, cracked glass, splattered ice, and a rainbow overlay. These are all static overlays, and would be used *instead* of the glass reflection; so, basically you would be able to choose which of the available overlays to display on the alarm window: the standard glass reflection, the other overlays I mentioned just now, and even No Overlay at all.

In addition I could also add animated water effects (like the ones that already exist for the dock) so the LCD display (just the display, not the bezel!) would act like a liquid surface:

Looking good, if that's the sort of thing you like. Harmless bit of fun, if that amuses you. :)
winstep wrote:
....animated rain ripples, ondulation, and a combination of both. If you guys already tried the alpha of the Winstep Theme Builder, you will know what that would look like....

Alpha!? Theme Builder!? Gimme! LOL!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:

I thought you knew about that already. All you can do with it is make dock themes though - but it gives you an idea where and how I am going with it.

You can download it from HERE.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyway, beta of v18.5 released.

There are a lot of things in it I need you guys to test and also your honest opinion.

So, starting with the latest alarm additions, I would really like it if you guys could sort/rate the new alarm overlays from which you like the most to which you like the least. Also, if there are any you feel that they don't really work, please let me know.

Check out the UI too, it has been HEAVILY reorganized. Please let me know what you think.

Try out the new additions to the Media Player IC too and let me know if you think there is something missing or not working right. Remember what I wrote above about what has been done to it.

Finally, let me know what you think about the new Effects tabs and also the new Delete Effects. Let me know what your favorite delete effect is. Also check out the changes made to the Effects Panel.

Needless to say, if you run into any problems or find something that isn't working right, please let me know ASAP.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 am 

Finaly trying out nextstart, have fev questions
1) is it possible to pin progtrams to taskbar area (default it seems to 'pin' them to quick launch)
2) is there a way to get standard windows right click menu for taskbar items:
http://prntscr.com/ji24id (cant for remember whats it called now, its on the tip of my tongue)
3) make this a show desktop button instead of hiding nrext start:
http://prntscr.com/ji28cz
4) change start button and quick start icon spacing/size without going into building a theme
5) how to change size of quickstart/tasklist/systray area (paralel to what happens when you unlock taskbar in windows)
http://prntscr.com/ji2a84

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

I thought you knew about that already. All you can do with it is make dock themes though - but it gives you an idea where and how I am going with it.

You can download it from HERE.

Got it now, thanks Jorge. :)

Though I've seen your screen grabs etc., had no idea an alpha was available. Great! Dock themes is a good example to get an idea of the thing, as it's so simple to work out dock themes for yourself if you know what bitmaps are needed, which is all in the old WS9.5 User Guide.

So, not a lot left to do for the rest of the shelf and mods then. :P Nextstart only needs it for absolute beginners I suppose (so nonetheless important too) - I can still do menus in my sleep. :)

And I've got myself a perfect battery mod first attempt, thanks to some hints and tips from picco. It's a doddle really! :) Thanks to picco's help should be able to do calender and Moon Phase as well, and I'm onto the startbar etc thing as I've realised I did that in a few themes eons ago.

Still having problems with the double NET mod but I'm sure trial and error will sort that eventually. (Haven't come across any mods similar to mine yet that I could glean a hint from, but I'll keep looking for older themes perhaps.) But what's a real pain is the anim. for both in-shelf/dock and desktop recycler - the default works again, but that's it, no luck with the custom ones. (I've also at last done all the original 'Black Hole' files btw! Sadly, as with the standard recycler, conversion to Win PC formats doesn't preserve the alpha transparencies.)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
Finaly trying out nextstart, have fev questions
1) is it possible to pin progtrams to taskbar area (default it seems to 'pin' them to quick launch)
2) is there a way to get standard windows right click menu for taskbar items:
http://prntscr.com/ji24id (cant for remember whats it called now, its on the tip of my tongue)
3) make this a show desktop button instead of hiding nrext start:
http://prntscr.com/ji28cz
4) change start button and quick start icon spacing/size without going into building a theme
5) how to change size of quickstart/tasklist/systray area (paralel to what happens when you unlock taskbar in windows)
http://prntscr.com/ji2a84

2) Nextstart Preferences -> Taskbar Tab -> Tasklist Setting -> Tasklist Actions - here you can select what actions left, middle and right mouse click perform on tasklist icons. As far as I'm aware this only applies to the tasklist, not sure about other taskbar items such as quick launch etc.

4) Nextstart Preferences -> Taskbar Tab -> Quick Launch Settings - lets you set the icon size for Quick Launch items. I think the Start button size is determined by the size of the taskbar IIRC, or possibly the size of its bitmap (Start.bmp/.png etc.)

Never use the taskbar myself (just tasklist and sys tray) so not sure about the rest. Hope this helps some.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next