Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: So, what's next after v18.3?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Time to start a new topic. :)

As usual, work on the new version starts slowly after the pre-release rush.

I have to admit one thing: playlist handling in v18.3 and previous versions is a MESS (not that anyone complained, but I can recognize a doodoo when I see it). My fault for not paying much attention to it.

So, I already changed quite a few things - for the next version, of course - related to making playlists: to start with gone are the Save and Save As buttons. Playlists are now automatically saved as you change them.

Second, added full drag & drop support, which is now the preferred and easiest way to add audio files and create playlists.

You can now drop folders and .m3u files directly to the Playlists listbox. This will automatically retrieve the contents of those folders or .m3u playlists into the Audio listbox and create a new playlist based on the folder or .m3u file name.

You can drop multiple folders and .m3u files at once, added support for that too.

Likewise, you can drop folders and .m3u files into the Audio list box. This will retrieve the audio files from those folders/playlist files and add them to the currently selected playlist. Again, you can drop multiple folders and .m3u files.

I also moved the buttons to the bottom of the listboxes so I could increase their width (more room to display the playlist and audio file names).

Also, after pausing the Media Player, clicking the icon again automatically resumes playing, instead of opening the media control bar.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.3?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's one thing I've been meaning to do for a long time: unify the Effects panel so the Mouseover, Launch and Attention effects can all be specified without exiting the panel.

So, it would work something like this: you open the panel and at the top you would select which type of event you want to configure an effect for (Mouseover, Launch or Attention) and the icons for each of these effect types would 'slide in'. Once you've finished configuring the effects you want for each of the events, you press Ok (or Cancel) to close the panel.

This would allow me to remove all those buttons and combo boxes from the Effects tab of the Dock and Shelf Properties dialogs and replace them with a single 'Effects Panel' or 'Effect...<something? suggestions welcome!>' button. At the same time it would give me enough space to actually display a visual animated representation of the currently selected effects for Mouseover, Launch and Attention.

What do you guys think?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:31 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Couldn't really comment in re: media player and effects, sorry Jorge - got perfectly good media players already set up (since before the dinosaurs), and, being productivity oriented, effects are of no interest whatsoever, in fact, in Win itself also they're all turned off apart from dragging windows with content.

But, so, what is next after 18.3? Any progress on that tantalising theme builder? Been having a look at all that stuff and it really looked good. And sorely needed.

Best,

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Couldn't really comment in re: media player and effects, sorry Jorge - got perfectly good media players already set up (since before the dinosaurs), and, being productivity oriented, effects are of no interest whatsoever, in fact, in Win itself also they're all turned off apart from dragging windows with content.

I added the Media Player literally as a 'last minute thought', mostly because all the functionality to implement it (playlists, audio playing, etc...) was already there for the alarms.

Personally the reason I think it's useful - given how many other full blown media players there are out there - is precisely because of it's simplicity. It does one thing and one thing only: play a list of audio files you previously selected.

So, whenever you want to listen to some music - as I like to when working - that same music is only a button click away. Since it's separate from your media player of choice, you also don't have to go back and forth when switching between media files.

This makes the little built-in media player a VERY convenient way to quickly listen to your favorite music - and I think that is its main (and only? eheh) advantage. I thought it might be useful to add something like that when I caught myself using the built-in alarms just to listen to music.

As for the effects, some people live by them, others, like you, couldn't care less. Some people focus on eye candy, some on functionality, and others like me enjoy both - we are all different (thank God! :) ). Whichever type of person you are, the effects are nice, they're there if you want to use them, and there's a lot of them.

Since I'm the type of person who likes both aesthetics and functionality, I try to keep a nice balance between the two. I don't think Winstep software lacks in any of those two departments. :)

nexter wrote:
But, so, what is next after 18.3? Any progress on that tantalising theme builder? Been having a look at all that stuff and it really looked good. And sorely needed.

Yes, I agree. I have been trying for quite some time to psyche myself to work on the Theme Builder again.

Just as it happened with what was once the 'mythical' Nexus, all I can say for sure is that it will happen - just don't ask me when. One day I will look at it, pick it up, start working on it and then I won't stop until it's done.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:41 pm 

Hi Jorge. I finally got a chance to try out some of the new stuff. There are a few things that I need clarification on.

What file formats does the player in the alarm clock accept? So far I've tried mp3, mpa and wma that work, but ogg and m4a (which is a format automatically DL from YT) does not.

When I drag a file into the Audio Files box I have to click more than once to make it play.

Is there a way to pause, skip and search through the song?

I don't quite understand the Playlist option. I guess it's because it doesn't work the same way as others I've used because it doesn't show the song via drag and drop. I experimented with using New, but all it does is show New Playlist so I didn't go any further.

What player is being used? Is it accessing one that the host PC has, or is it a separate one that's part of Winstep? I ask because it bumps the bass, (I LOVE BASS!) hits the hi-hats and treble much better than I expected! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:31 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

winstep wrote:
...So, whenever you want to listen to some music - as I like to when working - that same music is only a button click away. Since it's separate from your media player of choice, you also don't have to go back and forth when switching between media files.

This makes the little built-in media player a VERY convenient way to quickly listen to your favorite music - and I think that is its main (and only? eheh) advantage. I thought it might be useful to add something like that when I caught myself using the built-in alarms just to listen to music.

Sure,I can see the convenience of it, esp. if you're using playlists. I don't, preferring to listen to albums, jazz or classical mostly, and I have a very sophisticated graphic EQ etc. with my media player and a first class speaker system. It's all just two clicks away so no great deal to use it. But, all in all, well done nonetheless Jorge. :)

I generally tend to work on the principle that if music is worth listening to, it deserves to be listened to without the distraction of work. ;) And vice versa, when doing serious stuff I don't want to be distracted, by music or otherwise, but get on with it as expediently as possible so I can get off the bloody computer. However, when doing 'light' stuff like email, web or whatever, I do occasionally put on a (lighter) album as well.

winstep wrote:
As for the effects, some people live by them, others, like you, couldn't care less. Some people focus on eye candy, some on functionality, and others like me enjoy both - we are all different (thank God! :) ). Whichever type of person you are, the effects are nice, they're there if you want to use them, and there's a lot of them.

Effects are nice if that's what you like. Diff'rent strokes... ;)

winstep wrote:
Since I'm the type of person who likes both aesthetics and functionality, I try to keep a nice balance between the two. I don't think Winstep software lacks in any of those two departments. :)

No, absolutely, Winstep offers loads in both departments, more than any other even remotely comparable utility.

And I do prefer to have a reasonable-looking interface appearance but with the prime focus on ergonomics and being non-distracting. So, 'cool' themes don't do it for me I'm afraid, too distracting. I don't want to look at something that looks like it shold perhaps be put in a frame on a wall when I'm working. ;) Great though if that's what you like.

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

winstep wrote:
Yes, I agree. I have been trying for quite some time to psyche myself to work on the Theme Builder again.

Given that the skinning scene these days tends to be almost as lively as a cemetery at midnight and new themes are the lifeblood for skinnable utilities it seems to me the most important new (old) feature to add (back), as it may well encourage more folks to try their hand at the game.

Also, themes for Winstep seem pretty hard to find, esp. in a hurry. E.g., at Wincustomize you actually have to do a search to find them as there's no link to Winstep themes! And then, not many there. Wouldn't it make sense to have your own site for Winstep themes (only)?

winstep wrote:
Just as it happened with what was once the 'mythical' Nexus, all I can say for sure is that it will happen - just don't ask me when. One day I will look at it, pick it up, start working on it and then I won't stop until it's done.

Go on Jorge, just do it. ;) Ah yes, the once mythical Nexus... Or what about the perhaps even more mythical FileBrowser? ;) (I do remember the plan well...)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Since I'm the type of person who likes both aesthetics and functionality, I try to keep a nice balance between the two.

As a by-the-by, Windows 10 is about as pooh-ugly as you can get this side of the 'dark side' (i.e., that fruit brand), not to mention that it wastes an awful lot of screen estate with e.g. its fat title bar. (This is particularly annoying on a laptop also.) Although not exactly pretty either, Win AP and 7 at least had the option of using a 'Windows Classic' theme (and under XP you could change that to your heart's content, too); even the 'native' start menu was not too bad and certainly quite usable, esp. in Win7, compared to that lump of bovine manure that's palmed off as a start menu in Win10. (Thank goodness for Winstep and esp. Nextstart! Without that, Win10 esp. would be frustration after frustration.)

Hmm, perhaps it might be possible to just save the theme in Win7 and copy it to Win10... Will investigate when I get a chance. Almost anything's better than Win10.

Gawd I hate, hate, hate Win10! And since the last unavoidable update everything seems slower as well. Hate it and don't trust MS. (And the 'dark side' even less!)

Oh, and a certain Blinds app from across the pond certainly is no solution. It sucks great big dung beetle rocks.

Where would we be without Winstep and the rabbit!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Go on Jorge, just do it. ;) Ah yes, the once mythical Nexus... Or what about the perhaps even more mythical FileBrowser? ;) (I do remember the plan well...)

LOL. Ric! I guessed it was you as soon as I read that. :)

By the way, I talked to John, I'll give you his email address by PM.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:55 am 

We still have the semi-mythical WinStep Skin Designer !
:D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
LOL. Ric! I guessed it was you as soon as I read that. :)

By the way, I talked to John, I'll give you his email address by PM.

LOL! Well, you took your time to catch on Jorge... ;)

Thx again re: John. Real nice bloke and a gent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:50 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DanDaBear wrote:
We still have the semi-mythical WinStep Skin Designer !
:D

Yes, and it's about time it stopped being semi-mythical and became a reality. Next thing after vertical shelf and consolidation of existing new features perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:19 pm 

Jorge, I'm re-posting what I asked earlier since I didn't get a reply and many posts came after it and you've replied to those posts.

I forgot to ask, did you do something to fix the lag I posted about some weeks ago about the problem I had upon mouseover on a couple of folders I have on my dock when the information bubble pops up?

The lag is now gone.

Also, please add a minimize feature for the Alarm Manager to prevent constantly having to move it around while listening to music and using the PC.

Windy wrote:
Hi Jorge. I finally got a chance to try out some of the new stuff. There are a few things that I need clarification on.

What file formats does the player in the alarm clock accept? So far I've tried mp3, mpa and wma that work, but ogg and m4a (which is a format automatically DL from YT) does not.

When I drag a file into the Audio Files box I have to click more than once to make it play.

I don't quite understand the Playlist option. I guess it's because it doesn't work the same way as others I've used because it doesn't show the song via drag and drop. I experimented with using New, but all it does is show New Playlist so I didn't go any further.

What player is being used? Is it accessing one that the host PC has, or is it a separate one that's part of Winstep? I ask because it bumps the bass, (I LOVE BASS!) hits the hi-hats and treble much better than I expected! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Jorge, I'm re-posting what I asked earlier since I didn't get a reply and many posts came after it and you've replied to those posts.

Oops, sorry Windy, sometimes I get overwhelmed and start missing things.

Windy wrote:
I forgot to ask, did you do something to fix the lag I posted about some weeks ago about the problem I had upon mouseover on a couple of folders I have on my dock when the information bubble pops up? The lag is now gone.

Nope.

Windy wrote:
Also, please add a minimize feature for the Alarm Manager to prevent constantly having to move it around while listening to music and using the PC.

Hey, that is what I used to do (use an Alarm to listen to music) and one of the reasons I came up with the built-in Media Player. You should use that instead.

Alarm reminders are always on top - given their purpose, I'm not sure changing that would be a good thing. Also, allowing them to be minimized is a no-no since they aren't normal windows (no minimize button).

Windy wrote:

MP3, WAV, MID, WMA. That's it. I don't think I can add any other formats because those need to be natively supported by the OS.

Windy wrote:

I see. No idea why (something else seems to be grabbing the focus), but it's really not a biggie.

Windy wrote:

Not on the Alarm Manager itself, that is not its purpose. On Alarms and the Media Player you can pause, next track, previous track.

Windy wrote:

Yeah, that's why I started this thread by saying that Playlist Management in v18.3 is a mess, read above. Basically you have to click new, add a few files, then click Save As.

Anyway, I already changed all that for next version.

Windy wrote:

It uses whatever is the default codec for MP3 files. Basically it tells Windows to do the actual playing of the file.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:37 pm 

Windy wrote:
I forgot to ask, did you do something to fix the lag I posted about some weeks ago about the problem I had upon mouseover on a couple of folders I have on my dock when the information bubble pops up? The lag is now gone.

winstep wrote:
Nope.

Hmmmmmm, maybe it was fixed when I scanned for the 1st time using a feature in Driver Booster that removed some junk files that I've never seen before. It was right after that that I happened to check the pop-up bubble.

Windy wrote:

winstep wrote:
It uses whatever is the default codec for MP3 files. Basically it tells Windows to do the actual playing of the file.

Wow! You learn something new everyday! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:44 am 

Jorge, what obvious item am I missing this time that is not allowing me to find this media player?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next