Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.3?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:11 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Phew, that was one real barsteward of a Win prob/fault to figure out Jorge! Congrats on solving it and welcome to the un-wonderful world of Win10. Shit happens, all the time in Win10 - I'm considering removing it and installing Win7 Ultimate 64bit instead. Much happier with that on the AMD X2 box.

Incidentally, what VM are you using - the Win7 VM or a 3rd party one? And how do you rate performance? Asking as thinking of setting one up on my Win7 etc. box, mainly to set up a few ancient OSs - OS/2 Warp 4, QNX (hey they're alive and well outside of medical apps etc. and keeping up the general OS I just discovered!), maybe NT4, Solaris 7 or 8, perhaps BeOS too.... Most won't run even on the old Athlon, though I've just found a K6-2 CPU that probably came from that box though even that might be too new. That way could recover a lot of old files by converting them to something Win apps can make sense of. But don't let this distract you from catching up with your deadline. It'll keep. :)

Btw, noticed those little delays with Workshelf a number of times and wondered if they might be due to single threading. (Don't know if Win95/98 etc.. supported MT, NT always did of course.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm using Oracle's VirtualBox.

It normally works great except for one thing: drag & drop sucks BIG TIME, and always did! Dragging files from the host to the VM or vice-versa most of the time doesn't work, and if you accidentally hover the VM window with an icon you're dragging somewhere else on the host, the Windows 10 VM starts using so much CPU that it becomes virtually unusable, forcing you to hard reset the bloody thing. Normally I use a shared folder to share files instead of risking disaster with drag & drop.

As for single-threading, the problem is that VB is single threaded. Instead of evolving VB to make it multi-threaded and able to compile 64 bit applications, Microsoft decided to replace it with that .NET monstrosity, so now I'm stuck.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, almost finished making the news.

This is going to be a bit like the Windows 10 April Update fiasco, which only actually came out in May lol

Version number will remain v18.5 though.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:09 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ok, almost finished making the news.

This is going to be a bit like the Windows 10 April Update fiasco, which only actually came out in May lol

Version number will remain v18.5 though.

LOL! Nah, Win10 was Bulls****ing on Demand Update, nothing serious like that here. :P

So who's going to worry about a few days delay anyway, apart from yourself?

Thx for your comments re: VM - I'll bear in mind what you said. It's decided it for me - Oracle's VB it is. It's even free for domestic use, IIRC.

Didn't know re: VB/single threadedness - I always assumed it was capable of MT since back in the days of NT4! Feck! Yeah, .NET is a blooming nightmare, even from a user's perspective - seemingly endless updates and a huge amount of disk storage.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And the official release is out!

Bed time for me (finally!). :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:28 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
And the official release is out!

Bed time for me (finally!). :wink:

You've been burning the candle at both ends, haven't you! Not good. I've stopped that years ago. These days, it's mostly early to bed, early to rise - most times up by 3 or 4. :) Best time to get things done I find.

Funny, my auto update didn't. Hate it anyway. Couldn't we have a downloadable update file like we used to?

Anyway, have your well earned rest Jorge.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Funny, my auto update didn't.

It only checks once every 24 hours. Did you force a manual check for updates already (About tab of Preferences -> Check for Updates)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also, guys... once you do install the official release, please give me some feedback on how it went.

In particular, let me know if you feel anything is different when mousing over magnifying docks.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Weird! Just got an email that the mouse 'snap to button' feature is no longer working on Winstep applications, and indeed it isn't, the mouse pointer is no longer jumping to the default buttons.

This is something the OS is supposed to do transparently behind your back. WTH? No idea when it stopped working either, if it was something I did in the version or if it's been like this for more time.

EDIT: Thank God for Raymond Chen. Still doesn't explain exactly what is causing this, as the Winstep applications continue to use standard dialogs.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:12 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Funny, my auto update didn't.

It only checks once every 24 hours. Did you force a manual check for updates already (About tab of Preferences -> Check for Updates)

Ah, of course! Forgot I probably was online within previous 24. Nah, never do a manual check unless I have reason to believe I missed something - like this morning. :)

All running just fine, can't say I noticed anything obvious, but then in the ordinary course of things my personal set-up is fairly simple. So nothing to report on magnifying docks as don't have any and hate the blessed things, though might actually be useful on very large very hi res screens I suppose. But shall try it ASAP to see if there's anything unusual. Like the new option for WS/NX re: alt key/dropping files etc.

Have been using TB alpha to build docks - perfect! Very nearly anyway, would be nice to be able to save docks to their actual folders but can always copy manually and adjust the config file. So simple really, at least to us - not sure how a raw beginner would see it. Anyway, duly impressed with it in real use Jorge, makes it a doddle. Now then, when can we have the rest of it please? ;)

Although I can do menus in my sleep, I think I've done a startbar etc. only once in the past and trying to figure all that out in *.wst is a nightmare!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 235 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16