Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Nexus Dock Weather Mod Icon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, removing the Winstep2000 key from the Registry is not going to help in this case, and the application already prompts the user if he wants to do that when uninstalling anyway.

I do agree there's something royally screwed with his system, however.

If he got no UAC prompt even after clicking 'Run as Admin' either he is ALREADY running as Admin (bad, bad, bad! ...but then he would get the running elevated warning when running Nexus, and he doesn't?) or something is wrong with the whole UAC configuration on his system.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:21 pm 

OK...
Uninstalled NEXUS
Deleted files
Updated Registry
Restarted
Ran as Admin
Got UAC Msg from NEXUS
Responded Yes
Nexus shut down
Opened NEXUS
Weather is using NEXUS icon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What you wrote above is confusing because it's not clear at all what you are actually referring to. I don't want to assume anything not to make the situation worse, so:

OK...
Uninstalled NEXUS
Deleted files
Updated Registry
Restarted
Ran as Admin <- Run what as admin? NexusSetup or Nexus?
Got UAC Msg from NEXUS <- from Nexus or from the Setup program?
Responded Yes
Nexus shut down <- Nexus shut down or the Setup program finished?
Opened NEXUS <- Did you run Nexus manually or did the Setup program launch it?
Weather is using NEXUS icon.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:12 pm 

ran setup as admim
uac came from nexus
nexus shut down after uac from nexus, hence nexus
ran manually since nexus shut down

Before anymore testing, where is the dock settings stored. I want to save my dock changes

Thanks for your assistance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TheDude23112 wrote:
Before anymore testing, where is the dock settings stored. I want to save my dock changes

It's already been mentioned above, but you don't need to know that, there is a built-in backup function which will make a backup of all your settings, dock contents, etc...

Open Preferences, go to the Advanced tab and click the Backup button.

WORD OF WARNING THOUGH: if you plan on uninstalling, then you MUST change the default backup folder when backing up to some other folder in your hard drive, or your backups will be gone too when you uninstall and tell the application to delete everything (actually you would still be able to retrieve those from the Windows Recycle Bin, but that would already be in the realm of a 'Hail Mary').

Now, I have no idea what is happening on your system other than it is a mess, since nothing of what you are describing makes sense for the following reasons:

1. If you right click setup and select 'Run as Admin' you should immediately get a UAC prompt. But you don't.

2. After setup finishes doing its thing, it will launch Nexus with the 'runasoriginaluser' flag. This means Nexus will be launched with whatever privileges you had BEFORE launching setup - most users will be running as normal users (which is as it should be), not admin, so Nexus will then launch with normal privileges and you do NOT get the 'Nexus is running with elevated privileges... etc' warning. But you do get that warning.

3. Both events above lead me to believe that you are running with admin privileges instead of as a normal user. However, you then say that launching Nexus manually does NOT prompt the 'Nexus is running with elevated privileges... etc' warning, and if you were running with admin privileges it would prompt that warning *every time* you launched it. But you don't get the UAC if running manually, instead you get Nexus apparently being unable to access the Public Documents folder where the weather icons are stored.

So, as you can see, this is conflicting information. I'm sure there is a reason why this is happening this way on your system, but, at this point and with no direct access to it, I have no idea what might be causing it. One thing is for sure: this has nothing to do with the application itself.

I suspect Nexus not being able to see its own data folder when NOT running elevated has something to do with the Windows Virtual Store folder. But if that is so, that is only the symptom of other, more serious, folder permission problems.

I can still try to point you in the right direction, but this is already going way beyond what I can do to help. You're not a new Winstep user so this obviously did not happen before: try to think of what changes you made recently that might have caused this (you never mentioned if this started happening suddenly or if this is a brand new system).

One last ditch effort to try to understand what might be happening in there:

1. Press WIN + R keys to open the Run command in Windows.
2. In the Run Command box, type %localappdata%\virtualstore and hit Enter on your keyboard.
3.You should now see the Windows Virtual Store folder on your screen.

What folders do you see there? Anything related to Winstep?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:47 pm 

#1. My user id has admin privileges. Much easier when working the system
#2. UAC set to lowest level. Hate those UAC prompts
#3. virtual place has two folders:
Program Files (x86)
Windows

There is a winstep folder in Program Files (x86), and it's folders are there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So there you go. Your choice of running as Admin has consequences.

I'm not going to lecture you any further, it's your system. Make sure the REAL C:\Program Files (x86)\Winstep\ folder also exists and has content, and, assuming it does, delete the equivalent folder from the Virtual Store folder.

Hopefully that will be enough and you won't have to delve into the VirtualStore keys in the Windows Registry as well.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:58 pm 

Thank you kind sir for all of your time & help!!!! All is now good!!!

:D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Here's the thing. On my new Win10 laptop, I use two user a/cs - one for continuing to set up the system/apps etc., running as Administrator with full privileges (this will eventually become my normal user a/c), the other a standard user a/c for going online in the meantime.

Now, under the a/c with full admin privs. I run Winstep Xtreme - NS, WS and Nexus Pro, but no problems with Nexus nor any warnings from Nexus abut running in admin mode. So, at least in the latter respect TheDude is not alone. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2