Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Winstep Xtreme in 2nd User Account?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm hoping to start updating a theme or two of mine soon and creating a new one, but ideally would like to set up another user a/c specifically for this so that developing it won't interfere with my existing setup. However, given the directory structure affecting all things themes etc, backups, etc., that whole lot is in one simple place - Users\Public\Public Documents\Winstep\. Hence, wouldn't using Xtreme in a 2nd a/c mess things up anyway? If it was designed for multi-user all the files would presumably be in their respective user folders. Or is there some other way that Winstep handles this?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Winstep Xtreme in 2nd User Account?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Themes are shared between all users. Settings are per user.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:10 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Themes are shared between all users. Settings are per user.

Ah, thx Jorge, so pretty much as its always been then. So no point then in doing any theme dev in another user a/c.

As I seem to be having a bit of time to kill ATM and my sight is slightly better than usual I've already laid a lot of the groundwork for updating one of my old themes. Lot of work to be done yet, not helped by 'stumbling about in the dark' as it were in the absence of the near-mythical ThemeBuilder, and having to mess about manually with the .ws? files - pretty hard to remember the various settings/values after all this time.

Also having the kernel of an idea for a new theme, darkly....

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:30 pm 

What you might try is creating new junction points that will redirect the system.

Copy the entire "public" data you need to another directory and then create the junction to point to the new location.

The easiest way to do this is using the sysinternals "junction" program.

Just remember to remove the junction you created when done (experience talking...)

While I have not tested this with winstep, I use it often with my favorite cloud backup software so I can keep multiple computers in synch (where each one backs up to the cloud and then to a separate drive in my JBOD raid). This allows me to switch profiles without having to change my home system with different user accounts.

Example: (win7 .cmd file)
====================================================
echo off
rem ------------------------------
rem first remove any existing junction points
junction64 -d OldDirectory
pause

rem create new junction points
junction64 OldDirectory NewDirectory
pause

rem now run App
C:\Apps\AppDir\App.exe

:done
echo Done

Using this you can literally redirect just about anything or any number of things - which you may have to do (such as various Appdata directories). Hope this helps

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

That's a very useful idea, thanks John. I might well give that a go! Right now though there seems little point in it as, apart from doing very basic stuff that won't disrupt anything, I'm pretty well stuck in the absence of a Theme Builder (or detailed manual), esp. in re: modules.

As a point of illustration though of how useful an independent user a/c for dev'ing themes could be, something's totally screwed up the recycler mod - now even the default in-shelf one isn't working. Might have to un- and re-install Winstep.

Another possibility might be continuing under Win7 on my main box, or under XP32 and an ancient version of Winstep (NS3.41/WS1.9!) that still has full theme building facilities but does not cover the last three mods - Battery, Calender and Moon Phase. So not that much help really. Also, at the moment my box is still in a bit of a mess, having only recently re-installed XP and Win7 and not had enough time to do much else with it yet other than trying to config my LAN, with limited success.

Anyway, thanks again for the tip!

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]