Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Development questions
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:09 pm 

Hi Jorge,

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, it just didn't seem to fit in the Off-Topic one.

I think I saw somewhere that you changed compilers. Care to share what you're using now?

Also, given the range of windows versions winstep runs on, I'm assuming you're using almost entirely Win32 APi calls rather than lots of extra libraries. So given that, might there be any plans/drunken plans ( :idea: ) on putting together some kind of linux version?

Just curious...

Thanks for the great product.

Post subject: Re: Development questions
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi John!

Not sure what made you think that, but I didn't change compilers, just toggled a couple of compiler switches (to disable integer overflow checks, for instance) which should make the code faster.

No plans on putting together a Linux version.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:00 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I would imagine porting to another platform would be something of a nightmare, and given the even now relatively small user base of Linux (and that only a certain percentage would be interested anyway, esp. if they actually had to pay for the result!) I doubt it would keep bread on anyone's table. :)

I was once with a group of people, and we tried to port certain Next apps to run under NT independently of OPENSTEP Enterprise, using Object C and the 'step IDE. What a nightmare! It could have been done, and we managed some basic stuff, but it would have been horrors to go entirely though the Win32 API and taken longer than the history of the universe it seemed. (We did have Fiend almost going - as a proof of principle - and certainly the Next dock would have been relatively straightforward, but still it would have taken years. Let alone the major app that was at the heart of the matter....)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:05 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Not sure where I saw the "compiler change" either. Something just made me think of it. <shrug>

Nexter: Thanks for sharing. Having done some porting between OSs in the (long distant) past I agree with you. It's a royal Pain in the *(W#

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]