Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: A "self-contained" Dock Item for shortcuts and other links?
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:25 pm 

I'm using Nexus Extreme and I really like all of its features, most of which I haven't learned yet. The way I've been using it is to create a type "Folder" Dock Entry in which the specified folder contains shortcuts to all of the various applications I want that Dock Item to display. I was wondering if there is a way to have a Dock Item that can somehow directly contain any shortcuts or links that are dropped into it. It would be nice not to have to actually create a folder to contain these things.

Post subject: Re: A "self-contained" Dock Item for shortcuts and other lin
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ehehe. Nexus Xtreme must be the hybrid bastard son of Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme. :wink:

What you are looking for is called 'sub-docks'. Right click -> Insert New Item -> Sub-dock. That will create an empty sub-dock which you can then add items to via drag & drop.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:55 am 

Jorge,

Yup - You definitely got me on the Nexus Xtreme thing :-)

Anyway, I was able to create a new sub-dock like you indicated and I've tried dragging several different shortcuts and links onto it. However, I always get the red circle with a slash through it indicating that it can't be dropped there. Is there some setting I need to change to permit dragging and dropping onto a sub-dock? I can drag and drop onto the standard dock entries with no problem.

Thanks,
Ray

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, first make sure 'Lock icons and prevent them from being dragged' is not selected (General tab of Preferences).

If that's not it, perhaps you're doing it wrong?

I assume when you added the sub-dock that it created a new item showing the Nexus icon, right? When you click on it, you get an empty sub-dock, right?

Here is how you add items to sub-docks via drag & drop:

1. You drag the item you want to drop into the sub-dock over the sub-dock icon in the main dock and *hold*. After a second or so, the sub-dock will open automatically.

2. You can now drop the item(s) into the empty sub-dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:41 am 

Right again Jorge! I had the icons locked. My mouse buttons have a light touch and I am fairly uncoordinated. I was occasionally accidentally dragging the icons off the dock so I locked them to prevent it. In any case, I do have two additional questions:
1. Is there any way to make the names of the sub-dock items stay visible rather than only when the items are hovered over?
2. Is there any way to make the sub-dock items appear as a menu rather than individual icons?

Thanks,
Ray

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

BenevolentDeity wrote:
1. Is there any way to make the names of the sub-dock items stay visible rather than only when the items are hovered over?

Not on docks. That's one of the things the Shelf is for.

BenevolentDeity wrote:
2. Is there any way to make the sub-dock items appear as a menu rather than individual icons?

If you were running Winstep Xtreme (which includes NextSTART) instead of Nexus Ultimate then you could create your own menus in NextSTART and invoke those menus via the dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:48 am 

Thanks again, but there's one important thing I forgot to mention. While testing the drag and drop onto the sub-docks Nexus itself crashed. When I restarted it the main Dock came up where it had been on monitor (#3), but then quickly moved to the same position on an adjacent monitor (#2). I looked at Position tab in the Dock Properties and monitor #3 was still selected. I then looked at the Display Properties in Windows itself as well as in the Nvidia Control Panel just to make sure nothing was amiss there, and it wasn't - the monitor ID #s were as expected. I then went back to the Nexus Dock Properties and randomly changed the monitor selection until the dock was was back in its original position on monitor #3. However the monitor selection indicated it was monitor #1. So it seems that Nexus has somehow lost track of which monitor numbers are which. Of course I rebooted, but that didn't help.

Ray

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The actual monitor *numbers* are COMPLETELY irrelevant.

Windows sorts/numbers monitors by hardware ID or something weird like that, Nexus sorts/numbers them in a LOGICAL way: top to bottom, left to right. So, the first monitor (#1) on an horizontal 3 monitor system is the monitor on the left, and the last monitor (#3), the monitor on the right.

The Primary Monitor (the monitor whose top left coordinates are 0,0) is always marked as such.

Makes a lot more sense than how Windows does it, seen from this perspective, no?

Anyway, can you reproduce the crash consistently? What were you dropping? Exactly what happened and exactly when did it crash?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:19 pm 

Jorge,

I'm sorry but I can't reproduce the crash consistently and I don't know specifically what I was dropping. I've just got a bunch of shortcuts on my desktop and I was dropping a few of them one at a time as an arbitrary test. When it did crash, however, the symptoms were similar to when other applications crash. I got a popup that said something about the application having stopped working, but nothing really helpful to diagnose the problem. If it happens again I'll pay more attention and get back to you with some hopefully better information.

Ray

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]