Winstep

Software Technologies


 Winstep Forums


Print view
Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: New Module Suggestion - For The Future
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 692
Location: UK
There are ideas for several new modules going through my skull, but this one seems the most useful one at the moment. Actually, come to think of it, maybe this should have been among the early ones (when it would perhaps have been even more useful)....

Disk Use - i.e., a module that shows (by a bar graph) the size of a disk and the amount of free space, with the size and free space in TB/GB/MB superimposed on the graph. This could be the C:\ drive by default but any drive could be user selected (from a drop-down menu button), and it could also be a good candidate for a multi-module.

For example, on my laptop I have three partitions, plus at any time I may have up to 3 or 4 USB disks connected as well. On my XP and Win 7 sys, I have three disks with a total of 6 partitions between them, and again I might have anywhere from 1 to 4 USB disks connected as well.

Ideal candidate also for inclusion in taskbar and shelf, though I would envisage it as rather smaller so that essentially it would waste space in the shelf AFAIC.

However, my suggestion is meant for future reference, once we have at least a beta Theme Builder. ;)

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Module Suggestion - For The Future
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:02 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 9962
A Disk Meter module has been on the to-do list for years (and I want it to have support for SMART temperature monitoring as well)

The ONLY reason such a module has not been implemented yet is because it depends on something that also hasn't been implemented yet: multiple session modules.

That is, you don't want a single HUGE module showing all your disk drives, but you want multiple small modules, each displaying the status of a single drive.

Once multi-session module functionality has been implemented, it opens the door to other things as well: world clocks, CPU meters per CPU core, multi-location weather, etc...

Unfortunately this is the type of functionality that requires a MAJOR re-write of the existing code. I divided that re-write into two phases and already did the first phase some time ago, which is what made possible the rapid introduction of the latest new modules (Battery, Moon, Calendar).

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: New Module Suggestion - For The Future
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 692
Location: UK
winstep wrote:
A Disk Meter module has been on the to-do list for years (and I want it to have support for SMART temperature monitoring as well)

Yes, I had a sneaking suspicion that it must have been on your mind Jorge. :) As for support for smart temperature monitoring - hopefully, that'll come sooner rather than later, and yes, I'm in favour, very interesting.
winstep wrote:
The ONLY reason such a module has not been implemented yet is because it depends on something that also hasn't been implemented yet: multiple session modules.

That is, you don't want a single HUGE module showing all your disk drives, but you want multiple small modules, each displaying the status of a single drive.

Exactly the point I was trying to make above. Definitely don't want a single large mod. What I personally would do woth them is make then as small as possible, say with a (e.g.) bar width in the 16-20 pixel width area (for standard res) and an over all size of perhaps 20-24 pixels x 128 long - nice and compact yet perfectly readable. I did some sketches on paper when I was thinking about it.
winstep wrote:
Once multi-session module functionality has been implemented, it opens the door to other things as well: world clocks, CPU meters per CPU core, multi-location weather, etc...

Yes, that'll be nice - but for CPU, ideally not only per core but also logical processor, ideally. (Though that could get very screen-space hogging with more than 6 cores.) Ooh, while we're at it - multi-calendar calendars, e.g., standard, Persian, Hindu, Chinese, Jewish, etc.). Now that would be really neat. :)
winstep wrote:
Unfortunately this is the type of functionality that requires a MAJOR re-write of the existing code. I divided that re-write into two phases and already did the first phase some time ago, which is what made possible the rapid introduction of the latest new modules (Battery, Moon, Calendar).

Good planning. :) But please, don't rush it - we need more themes from more skinners, and we'll only get the latter with, yep, a Theme Builder. :)

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron