Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: License conditions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Press the PRT-SCR key on your keyboard. This will take an instant screenshot of your entire desktop and place it on the Windows clipboard. You can now open an image application such as MS-Paint, paste the image into it and save it.

Also, don't forget you have settings for sub-docks in the Behavior tab of that dock's Properties dialog (click the Sub-Docks button).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:09 am 

Hi again

I have looked in the location you give and can not find anything to allow the sub dock to be moved left or right.

I attach a screen dump as requested.

Attachments:
SubdockPosition.png
SubdockPosition.png [ 540.69 KiB | Viewed 12257 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A bit hard to understand what is going on in there because I can't see the whole desktop, but a sub-dock gets centered based on the position of the parent *icon*, not of the parent dock.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:06 pm 

Hi again

The graphic was the whole width of the desktop.

However your info does explain why I have this situation. the sub-dock is centred on the icon of the parent dock which in this case is second from the right (the yellow electric drill). I guess the easiest way to sort it out is to offset the main dock a little to the left or to move the dock icon to a position more to the left (ie re-order the sub-docks. It would be a handy facility to be able to offset the sub-dock in addition to the main dock in some future update.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A sub-dock is not supposed to be open at all times, therefore it's exact position does not really matter. What matters then is quick access, and centering the sub-dock on the icon gives you exactly that because the mouse pointer will then be at an equal distance from each of the sub-dock's edges (i.e.; it optimizes the distance your mouse pointer has to travel to reach any icon on the dock, not knowing what that icon will be).

Hope that makes sense. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:04 pm 

Hi again

Yes that makes sense I suppose.

What then happens if the sub-dock is longer than the one I showed earlier, such that half the length of the sub dock exceeds the distance from the main dock icon to the screen edge. Does it truncate the sub dock or offset the sub-dock so that it fits on the screen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If offsets it so that it fits on the screen. And if it still doesn't (i.e.; it's larger than the available screen space at that icon size), then it starts automatically reducing the icon size (up to a minimum of 16x16 icons, of course) until it fits.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
If offsets it so that it fits on the screen. And if it still doesn't (i.e.; it's larger than the available screen space at that icon size), then it starts automatically reducing the icon size (up to a minimum of 16x16 icons, of course) until it fits.

While generally this all makes eminent sense Jorge, what about people who are sight impaired (and that includes me) and have difficulty seeing tiny 16x16 icons? Couldn't we have an option perhaps, in the rare circumstance when a dock/sub-dock doesn't fit the screen, that it simply starts a second, parallel row? (Often thought about that - and it happens in my 'warped bar' concept too - shots are up btw.)

On thee other hand, I must confess that it really doesn't make the slightest sense to me anyway to fill up dock and sub-docks with such a vast number of icons that the docks/sub- no longer fit on the screen. The most number of icons I've ever had in a sub-dock is six. For lots of items it surely makes far more sense to use a shelf tab or two or three, and for some things NextSTART menus are far more suitable anyway.

There's a thought - what we (well, general and esp. new users, so that they can get the most and best out of Xtreme etc.) need is a proper tutorial on using Winstep, ideally video! :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What do docks, menus, the Shelf, etc, all have in common?

They are all program launchers.

So why use one or the other? Because each is better suited for specific tasks/conditions, i.e.; each different launching method has strengths and weaknesses.

A dock was never meant to hold so many icons that it is forced to shrink icon size down to 16x16 - you probably would be better off using a menu or the Shelf then.

Anyway, if such an extreme case happens and the user still wants to use a dock because of eye candy, the magnification, or whatever, a more sensible approach would be to start organizing their huge dock into categorized sub-docks.

And if they can't because they're running the free version of Nexus, which doesn't support sub-docks, then perhaps it's time to upgrade to Nexus Ultimate or Xtreme. :wink:

As for videos, I wish I had the time. :(

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:10 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
What do docks, menus, the Shelf, etc, all have in common?

They are all program launchers.

So why use one or the other? Because each is better suited for specific tasks/conditions, i.e.; each different launching method has strengths and weaknesses.

A dock was never meant to hold so many icons that it is forced to shrink icon size down to 16x16 - you probably would be better off using a menu or the Shelf then.

Anyway, if such an extreme case happens and the user still wants to use a dock because of eye candy, the magnification, or whatever, a more sensible approach would be to start organizing their huge dock into categorized sub-docks.

And if they can't because they're running the free version of Nexus, which doesn't support sub-docks, then perhaps it's time to upgrade to Nexus Ultimate or Xtreme. :wink:(

Exactly the points I was making in my round-about way, Jorge. :)

winstep wrote:
As for videos, I wish I had the time. :(

Alas, I don't have any experience with actually doing video (just scripting and producing a few). But I would volunteer my services for creating a kick-ass script.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:04 am 

"It offsets it so that it fits on the screen. And if it still doesn't (i.e.; it's larger than the available screen space at that icon size), then it starts automatically reducing the icon size (up to a minimum of 16x16 icons, of course) until it fits."

Thanks for the explanation Jorge. As a newbie to Nexus I am trying to get to grips with it as soon as I can so I can ditch Rocket Dock and Object dock and their little problems. I guess it is inevitable that in the learning process I compare things with what I already had. However I am very satisfied with Nexus so far even though I am still only using the main dock and sub-docks.

Regarding the size of docks referred to below

On thee other hand, I must confess that it really doesn't make the slightest sense to me anyway to fill up dock and sub-docks with such a vast number of icons that the docks/sub- no longer fit on the screen. The most number of icons I've ever had in a sub-dock is six. For lots of items it surely makes far more sense to use a shelf tab or two or three, and for some things NextSTART menus are far more suitable anyway.

My sub docks are for different classes - Office, Security, Graphics etc. The one that made me raise this point is the "Utils" sub-dock, which is the graphic I sent earlier and which because of its nature has lots more program icons on it than any others, Anyway Jorge I now understand the methodology and can easily work with it.

I have not explored Shelves yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2