Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, if I understood correctly, the problem was in using the Gill Sans MT font, right? Changing it to any other font fixed the issue?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
So, if I understood correctly, the problem was in using the Gill Sans MT font, right? Changing it to any other font fixed the issue?

Absolutely Jorge. So Arial has to sub for the Gill for icon label text, but at 1pt. smaller it's not all that obvious at least. Still, *should* any font really cause such 'symptoms'?

Oh and the icon spacing seems perfectly normal also, making allowance for the icon text.

But - forgot to mention this last night - another problem that already showed up before the beta has become worse it would seem. Before, the wsprefs icon's mouse-over image would not show about 2x out of 3. Now it doesn't seem to work at all, except of course, as before when the icon is actually clicked. This happens in all themes here.

Is the pressed image for wsprefs and wshide meant to be discontinued by the way?

Oh, and before I forget again - shouldn't the 'Span Full Screen...' thing also be in the context menu as a toggle?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
position of the shelf, with of the shelf, icon grid, size of the icons, bounce effect for the shelf and the icons

Ok, fixed it thanks.

At first I thought you meant this was a problem that happened after running v18.7 for the first time, but then I realized it was only when RESTORING from a backup file.

Because we can have multiple shelves, Shelf settings that were previously stored in the [WORKSHELF] section have now been moved to the same section where tab content, etc, is also stored, which is the [SHELF] section.

When loading from the Registry this was already taken into account, but not when restoring from a backup file - so the Restore routine tried to fetch the Shelf settings from the [SHELF] section and would come up empty, which prompted it to use the *default* settings.

It now correctly identifies when it is dealing with a legacy backup file and retrieves the Shelf settings from the proper [WORKSHELF] section instead if that is the case.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:24 am 

Man, you guys are good at finding bugs :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:

LOL

nexter wrote:
Still, *should* any font really cause such 'symptoms'?

The code is already set up to use Arial if a font specified by a theme does not exist in the user's computer.

Since this is obviously not the case, I suspect the trouble is at GDI+ level - but I'll look further into this.

nexter wrote:
Before, the wsprefs icon's mouse-over image would not show about 2x out of 3. Now it doesn't seem to work at all, except of course, as before when the icon is actually clicked. This happens in all themes here.

Will check, thanks.

nexter wrote:
Is the pressed image for wsprefs and wshide meant to be discontinued by the way?

No.

nexter wrote:
Oh, and before I forget again - shouldn't the 'Span Full Screen...' thing also be in the context menu as a toggle?

Yeah, but after all that discussion I forgot to add it to the menu before releasing the private beta lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Still, *should* any font really cause such 'symptoms'?

The code is already set up to use Arial if a font specified by a theme does not exist in the user's computer.

Yeah, I thought I remembered something like that. Good thing you're a 'belts and braces' guy. :) OTOH, that could also seriously mess up someone''s theme where they used a particularly 'exotic' font and adjusted the offsets everywhere to very precisely fit around this font and Winstep isn't configured to install fonts with themes. Not a very likely scenario though as everybody seems to stick with Arial anyway these days - boring.. ;)
winstep wrote:
Since this is obviously not the case, I suspect the trouble is at GDI+ level - but I'll look further into this.

Damn GDI+! :P Would be good though if you did find something so at least we know and can avoid any such problems.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Before, the wsprefs icon's mouse-over image would not show about 2x out of 3. Now it doesn't seem to work at all, except of course, as before when the icon is actually clicked. This happens in all themes here.

Will check, thanks.

I'm surprised no-one else noticed that before.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

No.

Oh good. I had still used it in some recent-ish themes and was about to change those to MO only.

As an aside here, didn't we used to have MO on menu titlebar gadgets in the past? I recently came across some old themes (Others' as well as 1 or 2 of my own) that had 'CloseAM.*' etc. However, this certainly doesn't seem to work here now. Would be nice to have (again?).
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yeah, but after all that discussion I forgot to add it to the menu before releasing the private beta lol

LOL! Ah well Jorge, that's why it's a beta after all. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:

Actually I'm a bit surprised nothing serious has been found so far, given how many changes were made to the code <cross fingers>.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Think I'm going to start working on the 'Drawers' (for lack of a better name) concept now...

nexter wrote:
Not so sure though whether 'Drawer' is really the best/most appropriate description. To me, it somehow conjures up the concept of a container for files, i.e., the same as folder or directory. (The drawer metaphor was used by some early unices IIRC as well as AmigaOS of course.) OTOH, a drawer is basically a container that you pull (draw) out of another, bigger, over-all container, so on that score too it doesn't quite work. However, can't think of an alternative name to suggest right now.

Well, the 'Drawer' name actually makes sense in the whole Shelf concept.

Think about it: if the Shelf is the larger container (it contains what we call tabs), the 'drawers' are the equivalent of tabs. And what is a 'Drawer' object if not a single tabbed Shelf (i.e.; a drawer removed from its larger container, the Shelf) ?

You could even call them 'Shelf Drawers' eheh

Alternatively, you could look at them as drawers 'tucked away' into the screen edge, with a handle (tab header) you pull to slide them open.

BTW: is it just here or are the Shelf's Icon Spacing and Transparency preview images broken? EDIT: Yes, it was, just fixed it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Actually I'm a bit surprised nothing serious has been found so far, given how many changes were made to the code <cross fingers>.

:) Nothing *yet*. :P Seems just as stable as the previous 18.5 full release here. Hence I've come out of my nuke shelter. ;)

Shows you just how good you are Jorge. ::grin::
winstep wrote:
Think I'm going to start working on the 'Drawers' (for lack of a better name) concept now...

There are still one or two minor issues but I can't find my notes right now. But in any case, seems safe enough to go ahead I'd say.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Not so sure though whether 'Drawer' is really the best/most appropriate description.... OTOH, a drawer is basically a container that you pull (draw) out of another, bigger, over-all container, so on that score too it doesn't quite work....

Well, the 'Drawer' name actually makes sense in the whole Shelf concept.

Think about it: if the Shelf is the larger container (it contains what we call tabs), the 'drawers' are the equivalent of tabs. And what is a 'Drawer' object if not a single tabbed Shelf (i.e.; a drawer removed from its larger container, the Shelf) ?

You could even call them 'Shelf Drawers' eheh

Alternatively, you could look at them as drawers 'tucked away' into the screen edge, with a handle (tab header) you pull to slide them open.

Ah but that's the point Jorge! A shelf, by its very definition, does not have any drawers. :) Hence my book shelf/book tray analogy elsewhere here. And hence too, my suggestions of 'WorkTray', 'ShelfTray', 'The Tab', perhaps.
winstep wrote:
BTW: is it just here or are the Shelf's Icon Spacing and Transparency preview images broken? EDIT: Yes, it was, just fixed it.

Yep, it's perfectly fine here. Everything in prefs and Shelf Properties seems fine so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

!!!!WARNING!!!!

If you're running the beta of v18.7, DO NOT use the Contents tab of the Shelf Properties dialog to make changes to a Shelf. Doing so will likely corrupt the contents of your main shelf.

If I was wondering where the killer bug was, now I don't need to anymore.

There are also other minor issues with drag & drop and smooth icon scrolling, depending on the Shelf orientation, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
!!!!WARNING!!!!

If you're running the beta of v18.7, DO NOT use the Contents tab of the Shelf Properties dialog to make changes to a Shelf. Doing so will likely corrupt the contents of your main shelf.

If I was wondering where the killer bug was, now I don't need to anymore.

There are also other minor issues with drag & drop and smooth icon scrolling, depending on the Shelf orientation, etc...

Ooh that was next on my 'to try' list - just about the last thing in Shelf Props and Prefs. Saved by the bell! ;)

The main irritation with drag and drop is dragging things into the trash (esp. from outside the shelf/dock) moving the trash to proffer an empty space for a new item, and on the shelf this remains after dropping the trash - quickest way to eliminate that is to force a refresh by switching tabs or scrolling. (But that was the case even before the beta of course.) As for scrolling - it varies a bit from theme to theme generally here, but mostly the mouse-over auto scrolling tends to kick in as soon as the cursor gets near the the scroll arrow, which seems even quicker and more common than before the beta. Couldn't we have an option to turn it off altogether Jorge? And to adjust the delay if one wants to use it?

Those were two of the minor issues I hinted at earlier, the others have resolved themselves in that they were theme-related.

Obviously, I'm trying out everything in all orientations of the shelf, but I must say the right edge seems somehow very counter-intuitive here, much more so than top edge even. Top edge furthermore irritates here particularly as the shelf doesn't see the *F.* inverted bitmaps, which can look very odd esp. wrt the prefs icon. Obviously, I tested this by deliberately using the normal but altered files as *F.*, and equally obviously I must be missing something in the *.wsw config file. But what, and how to put it right?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

So, I haven't installed the private beta, yet. At this point, should I do so or wait for another beta?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:52 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
So, I haven't installed the private beta, yet. At this point, should I do so or wait for another beta?

What you waiting for Ric? Go for it - it's fab, apart from Jorge's warning above. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Addendum to the 'Hide' and esp. 'Prefs' gadget not showing mouse-over image affair Jorge. Well, would you believe it, on a top edge shelf both work absolutely fine and in all the themes I've tried! Sides and bottom, no prefs m-o still. Must have tried it dozens of times on top edge shelf in each theme installed here - wonderful to see it working as intended. But that makes it all themore of a mystery why in other orientations prefs m-o just won't show. Too weird.

While I'm here as can't sleep anymore in this darn heat in here, I've been having thoughts about something, triggered by the way I often work with the shelf. In my personal working setup, I have three tabs for projects. One of these is for working on themes, and I usually have two, sometimes three rows of icons shown. For each theme I have up to eight icons, some of these are folders for the bitmaps under development, another folder for the theme being assembled, maybe a text file of notes relating to the theme, etc. (By holding left click I get at the files in a folder and open these as needed, drag them onto the shelf, etc. etc.) As I may be working on up to six themes at a time (often making adjustments and changing between one theme and another, etc.), that means an awful lot of icons and hence can mean an awful lot of scrolling even with three icon rows. Of course, all the files/folders are grouped together according to theme, but it still can be quite an effort to quickly find the right one. More tabs would also be messy and mean having to go from one tab to another, so not really practical.

And here's my idea Jorge. Would it be possible (perhaps in a new tab type?) to have a sort of 'Box-in-Shelf' thing, an enclosure (a simple 1px frame, grey, white or black user-selectable) into which one could group icons together in any arrangement desired and that would leave icons in their same relative positions even when changing shelf orientation?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, take a look at this. That's a real working 'Drawer' set not to display any text below the icons (mouse pointer is above the 3rd icon, although you can't see it in the screen capture):

Attachments:
Drawer.jpg
Drawer.jpg [ 74.25 KiB | Viewed 14048 times ]

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 26  Next