Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:45 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

As can be seen in the attached screen grab, the vertical icon spacing in a vertical shelf can be a bit of a problem.

While both H and V icon spacing is fine in the horizontal version of this shelf, icons are much too far apart vertically in this vertical version. Changing icon spacing is not possible as v. spacing was already set to minimum, and h. spacing would just narrow the shelf and have no other effects.

Otherwise, no problems so far with the beta. Love that verticaal shelf. Think I'll have a two-row floating vertical one for my personal setup. Really floats my boat! ;)

Great job, Jorge.

The theme in this grab is an experimental WiP, with some bitmaps translucent. Recycler is the original NeXT 'Black Hole' one. All modules 100% scale except Calendar 80%. The setup is my 'experimental' one for developing themes.

Also, another problem not related to the shelf (nor the beta alone) can be seen here - the horizontal dock at the top. The dock bitmap is upside down!
Attachment:
20180705-RM5VSetc01.jpg
20180705-RM5VSetc01.jpg [ 777.65 KiB | Viewed 13581 times ]

NB - Just a thought - maybe vertical shelves could reverse the icon spacing of horizontal shelves?

NB2 - How about 'WorkTray' for 'Drawer'? Seems to fit the bill perfectly. Much as you'd pick books from your library shelves and put them on a book tray....

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Last edited by nexter on Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
found one issue, upon loading backed up settings(saved with an old version) workshelf settings dont load right:

You mean the position of the Shelf, the icon grid, or both?

nexter wrote:
As can be seen in the attached screen grab, the vertical icon spacing in a vertical shelf can be a bit of a problem.

How many lines of icon text are you setting for that Shelf? That seems to be the problem, i.e.; it's more than 1.

nexter wrote:
Also, another problem not related to the shelf can be seen here - the horizontal dock at the top. The dock bitmap is upside down!

Yes, the dock *automatically* flips bitmap backgrounds for docks at the top of the screen when one is not provided for that particular screen orientation - it also rotates them automatically for vertical docks, etc...

Anyway, if you don't want the bitmap to be flipped you can enable the 'Do not flip background for docks at the top of the screen' setting in Dock Properties -> Appearance tab.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:27 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

How many lines of icon text are you setting for that Shelf? That seems to be the problem, i.e.; it's more than 1.

Ah, forgot about that one! :) Yes, it's 2 lines. Fixed. But now longer labels overlap the tab and also are no longer centred under the icon, and the v. spacing is still quite large.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Also, another problem not related to the shelf can be seen here - the horizontal dock at the top. The dock bitmap is upside down!

Yes, the dock *automatically* flips bitmap backgrounds for docks at the top of the screen when one is not provided for that particular screen orientation - it also rotates them automatically for vertical docks, etc...

Yep, I know all that, and there are four separate bitmaps, one for each orientation, correctly named and all that and correctly configured.
winstep wrote:
Anyway, if you don't want the bitmap to be flipped you can enable the 'Do not flip background for docks at the top of the screen' setting in Dock Properties -> Appearance tab.

Yep Jorge, I know, and it is enabled.

I think that simply, nobody's really noticed this before as there are few themes with separate bitmaps for all orientations. Apart from my own themes, only have seen comparable differential bitmaps in 'Atmospherica' theme - and there, too, the top one gets turned upside down.

Sometimes docks with 6 or less icons at the top are shown correctly - it seems to vary with different themes. The theme shown (and 'Atmospherica'), among others, will still show the bitmap upside down with six or less icons.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
But now longer labels overlap the tab and also are no longer centred under the icon, and the v. spacing is still quite large.

Screenshot, please. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
But now longer labels overlap the tab and also are no longer centred under the icon, and the v. spacing is still quite large.

Screenshot, please. :)

Here we go. :) Is it just me or do those icons look larger than 48x48? Seem to look alright in h. shelf.
Attachment:
WSIconTxt.jpg
WSIconTxt.jpg [ 25.79 KiB | Viewed 13573 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ouch. What are the icon offsets (vertical and horizontal) ? Icon size is 48x48, right?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
found one issue, upon loading backed up settings(saved with an old version) workshelf settings dont load right:

You mean the position of the Shelf, the icon grid, or both?

position of the shelf, with of the shelf, icon grid, size of the icons, bounce effect for the shelf and the icons

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ouch. What are the icon offsets (vertical and horizontal) ? Icon size is 48x48, right?

Yes, icon size is 48x48 - I think it's just a vis. illusion that they seem to look larger in v. shelf. :)

By icon offsets do you mean spacing? Horizontal is 30, vertical 10 (minimum).

And here's that same dock and tab in h. floating shelf. Fine, except now due to the 1 line limit for icon text this in some cases overlaps. Ouch.

Maybe in the end best/simplest solution might be to have the icon text vertical to the left of the icon, i.e., same place it would be in h. shelf?
Attachment:
WSIconTxtETC2.png
WSIconTxtETC2.png [ 84.82 KiB | Viewed 13569 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
position of the shelf, with of the shelf, icon grid, size of the icons, bounce effect for the shelf and the icons

Can you please send me the relevant backup file to the Winstep support address so I can test it here?

I changed some settings used by the Shelf, but I tried to keep it backwards compatible with old backup files, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
And here's that same dock and tab in h. floating shelf. Fine, except now due to the 1 line limit for icon text this in some cases overlaps. Ouch.

Ok, something is very wrong THERE. I can't reproduce it here, even with both the horizontal and vertical icon spacings set to minimum. So, it must be something else.

What is your screen DPI? Are you running multiple monitors, each with a different screen DPI? What is the Shelf scaling set to?

EDIT: As you can see, all looks well here:

Attachments:
ThinVerticalShelf.jpg
ThinVerticalShelf.jpg [ 146.41 KiB | Viewed 13568 times ]

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

Can you please send me the relevant backup file to the Winstep support address so I can test it here?

I changed some settings used by the Shelf, but I tried to keep it backwards compatible with old backup files, etc...

Sent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:24 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Ok, something is very wrong THERE. I can't reproduce it here, even with both the horizontal and vertical icon spacings set to minimum. So, it must be something else.

What is your screen DPI? Are you running multiple monitors, each with a different screen DPI? What is the Shelf scaling set to?

EDIT: As you can see, all looks well here:

DPI is 100, since running the beta just using the laptop screen (1366x768) so far. As for shelf scaling, haven't changed that so far so it's at 100%. Do you want the .wsw file?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
DPI is 100, since running the beta just using the laptop screen (1366x768) so far. As for shelf scaling, haven't changed that so far so it's at 100%. Do you want the .wsw file?

Probably won't help without the theme, but let's go for it.

Also, have you tried applying a different theme to that Shelf already?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:23 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Probably won't help without the theme, but let's go for it.

Also, have you tried applying a different theme to that Shelf already?

Sent you the complete theme, so far as it exists more or less.

Does indeed seem to be something theme specific as have tried it with several of my other themes ((mostly also WiPs) as well as with 'Atmospherica' (which I tend to use as a yard stick, so to speak), and it's all fine. Some themes the shelf is physically smaller, some bigger, but in all cases everything seems fine.

If you need my complete user settings, can send you the Winstep registry file. (Keep separate ones for each of my themes, and for testing and my personal settings. :) )

So far this beta seems about as steady as a rock, and have tried a lot of different things already with not a hint of a problem apart from this. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:29 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A brief P.S. - increasing the scale of the shelf to 120% fixes the text problem in both V. and H. shelves but at the current screen res looks pretty ugly. And of course there are only 5 instead of 6 or 7 icons to the tab.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 26  Next