Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
no issues

Thanks. Bet it also took less than 1 minute to download the update. :)

I already fixed it, updated the versions being downloaded from the web site with the fixed version, and am now waiting for confirmation that the issue has indeed been fixed to issue an update to the Winstep Update Manager.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, got confirmation the fix works, going to issue an official update to the Winstep Update Manager now. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ok, got confirmation the fix works, going to issue an official update to the Winstep Update Manager now. :D

Got it all. (I always d/l the full version as well, to archive.)

However, all's not well. The d/l manager failed to notify me of updates (despite all the correct settings in prefs), probably since after 18.5, and I had to manually check for updates both yesterday and today. Would this be fixed in the new one?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
However, all's not well. The d/l manager failed to notify me of updates (despite all the correct settings in prefs), probably since after 18.5, and I had to manually check for updates both yesterday and today. Would this be fixed in the new one?

Nothing wrong with the Update Manager in that respect. Check your settings, you probably set it either to prompt you before checking for updates (in which case it only checks once per week instead of daily) or you disabled 'Notify me when new updates are available'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Nothing wrong with the Update Manager in that respect. Check your settings, you probably set it either to prompt you before checking for updates (in which case it only checks once per week instead of daily) or you disabled 'Notify me when new updates are available'.

Nope, neither. I checked yesterday, and I checked again today. Not set to prompt before checking, and Notify me when.... (all of them) enabled.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Nope, neither. I checked yesterday, and I checked again today. Not set to prompt before checking, and Notify me when.... (all of them) enabled.

Add the 'Check for Updates' internal command to one of your docks, Shelves or Drawers. Now mouse over it and wait for the balloon tooltip to pop up - it will tell you when the Update Manager last checked for updates and when it's going to check next.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:24 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Add the 'Check for Updates' internal command to one of your docks, Shelves or Drawers. Now mouse over it and wait for the balloon tooltip to pop up - it will tell you when the Update Manager last checked for updates and when it's going to check next.

Done that. Added it to a shelf. Nothing happens at all, no tooltip at all Jorge. I'll try a menu item as well in a mo and see, though can't see why that would make any difference.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Done that. Added it to a shelf. Nothing happens at all, no tooltip at all Jorge.

If you get no tooltip then you probably disabled the tooltips, no? Do you get a tooltip when you mouse over other items?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:32 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Done that. Added it to a shelf. Nothing happens at all, no tooltip at all Jorge.

If you get no tooltip then you probably disabled the tooltips, no? Do you get a tooltip when you mouse over other items?

Ah, of course, you're right Jorge, forgot that I've got TTs disabled except for modules. :( Anyway, 'Last checked today 2.32pm' - but that would have been about the time I checked manually and downloaded the fixed DL manager.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:25 pm 

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Would this then be a good time to bring up some of my issues you asked me to remind you about after it was all done?

Give me some breathing time first, please.

In other news, did anyone using Winstep Xtreme had any trouble with timeouts while downloading the official update using the Winstep Update Manager?

No. My only issue was Winstep wouldn't shut down to allow the update to run, which aborted the update. There was an error message about Winstep not shutting down on the screen when I was leaving for work, but by the time I got home from work, that message was gone. I was able to exit Winstep and restart it, and then had to manually check for updates via the NextSTART options. It found the available update and installed fine the second time around. I know my computer is getting long in the tooth, probably needs a system reinstall, but I'm lazy. I'm not so concerned about Winstep not exiting, because it's probably specific to my system. The reason for my post is that, in my opinion, the update needs a retry button to go along with the ok button that shows up on the failed to update message.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:19 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

vectornut wrote:
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Would this then be a good time to bring up some of my issues you asked me to remind you about after it was all done?

Give me some breathing time first, please.

In other news, did anyone using Winstep Xtreme had any trouble with timeouts while downloading the official update using the Winstep Update Manager?

No. My only issue was Winstep wouldn't shut down to allow the update to run, which aborted the update. There was an error message about Winstep not shutting down on the screen when I was leaving for work, but by the time I got home from work, that message was gone. I was able to exit Winstep and restart it, and then had to manually check for updates via the NextSTART options. It found the available update and installed fine the second time around. I know my computer is getting long in the tooth, probably needs a system reinstall, but I'm lazy. I'm not so concerned about Winstep not exiting, because it's probably specific to my system. The reason for my post is that, in my opinion, the update needs a retry button to go along with the ok button that shows up on the failed to update message.

Seconded! Fine thought, Paul - definitely more than useful in anybody's book.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Anyway, 'Last checked today 2.32pm' - but that would have been about the time I checked manually and downloaded the fixed DL manager.

View the balloon tooltip again now. The tooltip should also tell you when the NEXT check is going to be made.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:28 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Anyway, 'Last checked today 2.32pm' - but that would have been about the time I checked manually and downloaded the fixed DL manager.

View the balloon tooltip again now. The tooltip should also tell you when the NEXT check is going to be made.

Next check in 2hrs 8mins - so checking daily now, it would appear.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26