Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Well, take a look at this. That's a real working 'Drawer' set not to display any text below the icons (mouse pointer is above the 3rd icon, although you can't see it in the screen capture):

Neat. :) And in record time as well!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:14 am 

Ok, here is what I have so far, regarding the beta test. What I can bring new is mostly display bugs.

- Initial setup a little messy: extra workshelf and dock created and opened
- Custom tray icons list lost

Shelf related:

- Docks in shelfs (vertical shelfs only) seem to open in the wrong position if the setting for subdocks is parallel to parent or horizontal:
The subdocks open below the shelf, so if the shelf is spanning full hight of the screen, the subdock is opening outside of visible space. If the shelf is resized to occupy, lets say 2/3 of the screen, you will see the subdock right below the Shelf, instead of the location of the icon in the shelf.

- There is an wasted space in shelfs, no matter the value defined by icon spacing (allthough by setting the min 10px, the empty space is smaller).Does seem to be theme independent. It seems to be worst for 48px icons, best for 32px icons and kind of ok for 64px icons. Tested on a 1920x1080 resolution. Honestly, I can not see how can this be improved though, given that this is some sort of "responsive" layout (I did play with resizing the shelf freely, not only full hight of the monitor). Bug_001.jpg

- Also for Vertical Shelfs: Having 2 of 3 lines of text will not align with the grid corectly.Does apear to be theme independent. Bug_001.jpg
Attachment:
bug_001.JPG
bug_001.JPG [ 253.96 KiB | Viewed 16429 times ]

- The sub-menu 'Appearance and Sounds/Themes' sub-menu of the Shelf's main context menu displays a list with only the name of one theme, the currently applyed theme, although clicking on different fields applies the correct theme (so it is only a display problem, each option is linked to the right theme). Bug_002.jpg
Attachment:
bug_002.JPG
bug_002.JPG [ 342.05 KiB | Viewed 16429 times ]

- Autohide for shelfs that are docked to screen edge is broken (clicking on the tab to open will open the tab, but will not close it automatically). It is ok for floating shelfs.

- Free resize of the length of the shelf, when docked to screen edge does seem to be buggy: while the preferences window is opened, you can resize the shelf by dragging the ends, but once you click apply sometimes it will "forget" the new size and span the shelf full hight of screen. Can not reliably replicate this behaviour.

Sugestions:

- when playing with the lengh of the shelfs or when you have many tabs in a shelf, the name of the tab is truncated. I think having a mouseover tooltip that will display the full name of the tab would help (for both vertical and horizontal)
- the tooltip displayed for items in shelfs goes away too fast. Increasing the shelf related tooltip display time would help. Perhaps even an option to configure that as one wish?

Small request:

If it is not too much trouble Jorge, can you add a new option for colorize? Now we have: none, user selected color and dominant color of background. A "use window accent color" option in windows 10, would be nice...

I will keep on digging...

Anyway Jorge, you did an amazing job, everything seems really stable. I can already see my final setup, now that I can use multiple vertical shelfs. Can`t wait for the drawers...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:39 am 

something thats not quite a bug:

when having multiple rows of icons on the shelf(in old version):

Row 1
Row 2

shelf now displays them as:

Row 2
Row 1
http://prntscr.com/k46i0r

even though Row 1 is the one thats displayed if the shelf is set to diplay only one row:
http://prntscr.com/k46icb

same goes for vertical shelf
insteado of [row 1 row 2] , it displays [row 2 row 1]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 am 

New info on this:

Quote:
The sub-menu 'Appearance and Sounds/Themes' sub-menu of the Shelf's main context menu displays a list with only the name of one theme, the currently applyed theme, although clicking on different fields applies the correct theme (so it is only a display problem, each option is linked to the right theme). Bug_002.jpg

It seems to affect most of the theme context menus. If you change the themes through them, you will get unpredictable results: sometimes the name of the applied theme fills the list, sometimes part of the names are listed correctly, sometimes all the names in the list are displayed correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First of all, thanks for all the feedback.

I immediately managed to reproduce the Themes menu bug here (got a huge menu with *all* entries set to 'Darktech', just like Seeker described) but then something really strange happened: I tried it on the dock and initially got the same thing, but opening it again suddenly showed the correct theme names - and from then on that is what it did.

Veeeery spooky lol

As for the Row1, Row2 issue: I did change the order rows are displayed in a multi-Shelf row for specific invert/position configurations, so that when the Shelf collapses (or you double click the tab header) and the collapse/expand animation plays the place where the rows end up is always consistent.

This is a bit hard to explain, but I'll try: in your screenshot example you have an inverted Shelf docked at the top of the screen. The row at the bottom is now row 1, but before the changes the row at the bottom would be row 2. So, imagine the Shelf is set to display 1 row but you expanded it to 2 rows by double clicking the tab header or dragging it up. When you double clicked the tab header to collapse the Shelf back to 1 row, the animation would slide the bottom of the Shelf (showing row 2) up towards the tabs at the top. Because of this, the last before final frame of the animation would show row 2 at the top, which would then suddenly be replaced by the icons in row 1 in the final frame. Now it's consistent: because row 1 is at the very bottom, that's the row that also ends up at the very top when the animation finishes playing.

I still have to look into the other issues.

But we have a problem: I'm going on holidays tomorrow and won't be back for a week. I will obviously take my laptop with me and will be keeping an eye on things, but I won't be able to do any development (I will still try to release a new private beta with the Drawers before I go, but can't promise anything).

To make matters worse, the forum is currently under attack by spammers that seem to be bypassing the profile security question - it's a pain waking up to several spam messages on the forum which I have to clean up. If I let those pile up it will get even messier.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:02 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Shelf expansion (by double-clicking tab or other means) looks perfectly logical here. However, there is a problem with double-clicking tabs when shelf is un-docked in any orientation when the tabs are facing the screen edge - nothing happens!

Oddly, haven't seen the context menu themes problem here at all. Seems to work perfectly normal here. Nor the auto-hide problem.

Still seeing the prefs mouse-over not working (in all themes) in any orientation except top screen edge. And of course still seeing the wrong bitmaps at the top.

Hope you'll have a very relaxing holiday Jorge, though it's hard to see how relaxing it can be with you tied to your laptop. ;) Bit of a busman's holiday really. ;) Anyway, have fun old friend.

::Edit - Yep, saw Sir Spamalot at it while you were busy deleting one morning. Barstewards.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
However, there is a problem with double-clicking tabs when shelf is un-docked in any orientation when the tabs are facing the screen edge - nothing happens!

That's because undocked (floating) Shelves ALWAYS expand in the direction of the tabs. Wanna bet the reason it did not expand is because there simply was not enough space between the tabs and the edge of the screen for an extra row of icons?

I don't think moving the Shelf down in such cases is a good or logical solution, so, instead, nothing happens.

nexter wrote:
Yep, saw Sir Spamalot at it while you were busy deleting one morning. Barstewards.

There's been truckloads of them lately. I just spent some time deleting recent inactive accounts (which I bet would become active later), banning IP addresses (which doesn't help much because most of these attacks come from bots in infected computers all over the world) and whole email domains. Also added an additional (and of different type) anti-spam question.

Let's hope this brings things a bit under control. Most people have no idea how much of a jungle it really is out there - just recently I had to change the RDP port of the Winstep server as it was under constant brute force attack (which ended up also causing problems with legit connections).

The Email Server had to be pretty well protected too, automatically banning IPs at the slightest sign of trouble.

The Internet is filled with criminals.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
- The sub-menu 'Appearance and Sounds/Themes' sub-menu of the Shelf's main context menu displays a list with only the name of one theme, the currently applyed theme, although clicking on different fields applies the correct theme (so it is only a display problem, each option is linked to the right theme).

Fixed, thanks. Apparently this only happened if a Themes tab in Preferences was currently open. But, in truth, that it EVER worked (the way it was) is nothing short of a miracle lol.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
- Docks in shelfs (vertical shelfs only) seem to open in the wrong position if the setting for subdocks is parallel to parent or horizontal:

Fixed, thanks. Forgot to change the opening sub-dock position for vertical Shelves - this is the kind of thing to be on the look out for. There are just too many features and possible interactions, I'm bound to forget about some of those.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
- Also for Vertical Shelfs: Having 2 of 3 lines of text will not align with the grid corectly.Does apear to be theme independent.

Fixed.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
- There is an wasted space in shelfs, no matter the value defined by icon spacing (allthough by setting the min 10px, the empty space is smaller).Does seem to be theme independent. It seems to be worst for 48px icons, best for 32px icons and kind of ok for 64px icons. Tested on a 1920x1080 resolution. Honestly, I can not see how can this be improved though, given that this is some sort of "responsive" layout (I did play with resizing the shelf freely, not only full hight of the monitor).

You mean the empty space at the bottom of the vertical Shelf?

The Shelf can only display as many icons vertically as they *fully* fit (i.e.; it does not display *partial* icons). If an extra icon + text + etc... (i.e.; full icon cell/grid) does not fit in the available space, then the space is left blank (wasted).

Also, remember there is also some space (20 pixels) reserved for scroll arrows at the bottom of the vertical Shelf, which is deduced from the total available space for icons. Even if that particular tab does not need scroll arrows, the space must still be reserved for them.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
- Autohide for shelfs that are docked to screen edge is broken (clicking on the tab to open will open the tab, but will not close it automatically). It is ok for floating shelfs.

This only happened with vertical Shelves, right? Fixed.

Vlad wrote:
- Free resize of the length of the shelf, when docked to screen edge does seem to be buggy: while the preferences window is opened, you can resize the shelf by dragging the ends, but once you click apply sometimes it will "forget" the new size and span the shelf full hight of screen. Can not reliably replicate this behaviour.

This had already been fixed here, thanks. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
- Initial setup a little messy: extra workshelf and dock created and opened

What do you mean by this?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
However, there is a problem with double-clicking tabs when shelf is un-docked in any orientation when the tabs are facing the screen edge - nothing happens!

That's because undocked (floating) Shelves ALWAYS expand in the direction of the tabs. Wanna bet the reason it did not expand is because there simply was not enough space between the tabs and the edge of the screen for an extra row of icons?

I don't think moving the Shelf down in such cases is a good or logical solution, so, instead, nothing happens.

LOL! Should have thought of that one - not something that would normally happen here anyway, so was just trying it out with the tabs too near the screen edge for another row of icons. Of course, you're absolutely right Jorge, it's perfectly logical.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Yep, saw Sir Spamalot at it while you were busy deleting one morning. Barstewards.

There's been truckloads of them lately. I just spent some time deleting recent inactive accounts (which I bet would become active later), banning IP addresses (which doesn't help much because most of these attacks come from bots in infected computers all over the world) and whole email domains. Also added an additional (and of different type) anti-spam question.

Let's hope this brings things a bit under control. Most people have no idea how much of a jungle it really is out there - just recently I had to change the RDP port of the Winstep server as it was under constant brute force attack (which ended up also causing problems with legit connections).

The Email Server had to be pretty well protected too, automatically banning IPs at the slightest sign of trouble.

The Internet is filled with criminals.

Yep, that's as certain as death and taxes. ;) (Anti-)Social media are also a daanger area - have come across malware popping up with videos (no harm done though, too well protected) inn the past, and even perfectly legit download sites can harbour malware and trojans etc. Got stung on (forget the name, the biggest one) with a piece of malware once, MPC Cleaner or something like that (harmless, but just a bloody nuisance), and could I get rid of the sod!? Easiest thing (it was a very basic setup on a laptop) was to re-format and re-install.

Hope your measures work. Though banning whole email domains can of course affect legit users. It's amazing how many email addresses and domains find their way into the hands of spammers and phishers etc. And of course, there are an awful lot of rather silly folk out there who assume they've got an email from a friend, open it and - whatever. Fortunately, I very rarely see any kind of spam mail these days, maybe 3 or 4 a year. And my passwords for almost anything are very long and very complex so I have to keep them in a little notebook as it would be impossible to remember them! :)

Enjoy your break!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I wanted to leave you guys with a beta featuring the new Drawers before I went on holidays, but, after compiling I decided to make sure Nexus Ultimate was running ok as well.

Good thing that I did. That change I made to the appbar routines to take into account things like horizontal taskbars?

Well, that caused an interesting effect: both Shelves (the one from WorkShelf and the one from Nexus Ultimate) started creeping up on the screen, the available screen space getting smaller and smaller lol

Fortunately I managed to exit Nexus Ultimate before finding out what would happen when the space got squished to nothing. But the bad news is that despite my frantic efforts I still haven't been able to come up with a work-around that works - and I run out of time. :(

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 26  Next