Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:32 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

That 'buglet' is getting to me! ;) Over recent days I've lost a whole bunch of sub-docks due to clicking slightly off the sub-dock indicator icon. I can even reproduce it at will, in any theme.

Also, more on the drag-and-drop delete on the recycler from other apps. Even selecting a few files results in the recycler only deleting the first one. So it would seem that it's not the total size of folders/files but rather just the number of them that results in this behaviour. Dragging and dropping a bunch of shortcuts from within a shelf seems fine though, at least, as far as I can tell. Haven't been able to try this extensively yet as it takes a bit to copy more shortcuts.

The same happens whether the recycler is set to delete permanently or not.

Otherwise, nothing new so far.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That subdock bug is catastrophic, of course, but I will only be able to try and reproduce it when I get back tomorrow.

Just in case I cant, please do the following: create a sub-dock with a single item and name it something unique. Now make a backup of Workshelf settings, open it in Notepad and search for that unique name - you should be able to find it.

Now do the disappearing thing, make another backup and let me know if you can still find the unique item in the new backup.

As for me, I am now out in the boonies with no Internet access on my laptop, only my phone lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
That subdock bug is catastrophic, of course, but I will only be able to try and reproduce it when I get back tomorrow.

Just in case I cant, please do the following: create a sub-dock with a single item and name it something unique. Now make a backup of Workshelf settings, open it in Notepad and search for that unique name - you should be able to find it.

Now do the disappearing thing, make another backup and let me know if you can still find the unique item in the new backup.

As for me, I am now out in the boonies with no Internet access on my laptop, only my phone lol

Damn! Why does there have to be signal almost anywhere these days!? You really need to learn to switch off Jorge, just have fun for a change. :)

I'll do that later anyway, will let you know what came up when I get back online. It's boiling hot in here and can't sleep anymore, 36C in here and quite humid, can hardly breathe. Outside it's a cool 18C now - seems lovely!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:02 am 

Unfortunately did not have enough time these days to do proper testing, but since I did use my PC, I can say that much: hardly any stability problems (meaning: no crashes or slowdowns).
Love the drawers btw. I am using them already. There are here to stay on my normal workflow.
Using it as is, I did not notice any other problems, apart from those already posted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:04 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Followed your instructions re: the sub-dock buglet in the early hours Jorge - quelle surprise! (I'd noticed but forgot to mention two things - one, the actual sub-dock items remain on screen, at any rate till the next click on something, while the icon/tile containing it went up in smoke, and two, this whole thing seems to happen mainly if not exclusively even, when there is the slightest bit of movement in the cursor at the time of clicking, i.e., e.g., when moving very quickly and there's a residual bit of motion when clicking, or when there's a slight tremor in the hand.) And yep, the name was still there in the backup, along with all its details. So the actual sub-dock items stay in the configuration, while they're left stranded in limbo as their originating sub-dock container icon no longer exists. :)

Oh, and welcome back old friend - hope you had a good time in spite of staying connected and all that. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Alas, not back yet. One of the cars broke down yesterday (bad alternator) so we had to postpone coming back by a few hours. Should be fixed at the end of the day. 43°C degrees heat here lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Alas, not back yet. One of the cars broke down yesterday (bad alternator) so we had to postpone coming back by a few hours. Should be fixed at the end of the day. 43°C degrees heat here lol

Goody! Enjoy the extra hours - preferably in a nice cool lake/pond/stream/river with a Rosé on ice with a slice of lime (delish!) or whatever floats your boat to combat that fierce heat. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Goody! Enjoy the extra hours - preferably in a nice cool lake/pond/stream/river with a Rosé on ice with a slice of lime (delish!) or whatever floats your boat to combat that fierce heat. :)

Ah-ah, I wish! Anyway, HOME SWEET HOME!!! Yay! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:08 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Ah-ah, I wish! Anyway, HOME SWEET HOME!!! Yay! :)

Ah well.... Welcome back anyway Jorge. Go easy now, don't just bury yourself in work straight away. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Ah well.... Welcome back anyway Jorge. Go easy now, don't just bury yourself in work straight away. :)

Thanks... and... too late lol

Already fixed the reserve screen space thingy. At least I hope so, bloody thing is more complicated than it should be and can set off a chain reaction of notifications.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Another little buglet. When deleting a larg-ish number of folders with large files by dragging from another app like a file manager and dropping onto the recycler - regardless whether in-shelf, in-dock or desktop - it deletes only the first file or folder and leaves the rest untouched. If the total is under 1 1/2 to 2 Gig max, it's fine, anything larger and it barfs.

Can you figure out if this is size (GB) related or quantity (number of files) related? The former makes no sense to me.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
One thing I still want to do (which I left visible for now) is change the field that for Shelves is the 'Minimum Icon Rows' (i.e.; how many icon rows visible by default, which currently does nothing if dealing with a Drawer) to the exact opposite if it is a Drawer (i.e.; 'Maximum shown Icon Rows' by default). This because a drawer will currently expand to either show all the icons in it or fill the available screen space, whatever comes first. This way we would have a way to limit its size.

nexter wrote:
Good plan re: max icon rows.

Well, yeah, but it turns out that min icon rows is also useful (and is actually working with Drawers too).

So, instead of replacing that field in Preferences, I actually need to add another one for Drawer's max rows/icons.

nexter wrote:
Leaving 'Shelf' could be confusing, so for the time being I'd stick to whatever name and leave it for translations to get updated. Anyway, if it's going to be 'Drawer', why does it have to be translated anyway?

The problem is not the name, but the whole phrase. For instance, 'Keep tabs above other windows when the shelf is collapsed' is a completely different translation line to 'Keep tabs above other windows when the drawer is collapsed'. I can't just automatically replace the name 'shelf' with 'drawer' in the translation even if I know what the translation for the word 'shelf' is - unlike English, many other languages use different articles according to the gender of the associated noun, so it would be a problem if 'Shelf' is translated as a feminine word but 'Drawer' as a masculine word.

I'll see what I can do anyway to minimize the issue.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
I can't just automatically replace the name 'shelf' with 'drawer' in the translation even if I know what the translation for the word 'shelf' is - unlike English, many other languages use different articles according to the gender of the associated noun, so it would be a problem if 'Shelf' is translated as a feminine word but 'Drawer' as a masculine word.

But, alas, that is what I just did. Better than having huge portions of the Drawer Properties panels untranslated.

It seems to be actually working fine.

Anyway, this mess will teach me to use generalized phrases in the future for settings instead of phrases referencing specific objects.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Thanks... and... too late lol

Darn! ;) You're so obsessional - as indeed you've been for a very long time now. :)
winstep wrote:
Already fixed the reserve screen space thingy. At least I hope so, bloody thing is more complicated than it should be and can set off a chain reaction of notifications.

Fingers crossed then eh Jorge? :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:27 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Another little buglet. When deleting a larg-ish number of folders with large files by dragging from another app like a file manager and dropping onto the recycler - regardless whether in-shelf, in-dock or desktop - it deletes only the first file or folder and leaves the rest untouched. If the total is under 1 1/2 to 2 Gig max, it's fine, anything larger and it barfs.

Can you figure out if this is size (GB) related or quantity (number of files) related? The former makes no sense to me.

Posted last week already, but never mind. :) Yep, seems to havde nothing to do with actual file sizes but rather number of files and/or folders. Anything more than I think it was 5 or 6 files and/or folders and only the first one gets deleted.

However, doesn't seem to affect deletions from within the shelf (or dock).

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 26  Next