Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
divingbrit wrote:
Now I just lurk and crawl out from under a stone, when I get confused, and I like the thought of vertical shelves, simple question, will the shelves be 'collapsible' and 'hidden' :?:

A vertical Shelf is exactly the same as an horizontal Shelf but rotated 90º clockwise or counter-clockwise. Imagine rotating your monitor from landscape to portrait or vice-versa.

There is one difference though: although tab header text is rotated, the icon text will not be, i.e.; it will still appear below the icon.

Only makes sense. :) That's exactly how it was in Fiend Shelf and the OPENSTEP 4a beta of course.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, we already have working multiple shelves.

Still a hell of a lot of lose ends to take care of. As I said, there have been literally THOUSANDS of changes to the code.

Once this part has been taken care of, off we go to make vertical shelves a possibility too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:42 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Ok, we already have working multiple shelves.

Still a hell of a lot of lose ends to take care of. As I said, there have been literally THOUSANDS of changes to the code.

Once this part has been taken care of, off we go to make vertical shelves a possibility too.

Fantastic! You are one heck of a fast worker Jorge! Multiple shelves in less than a week, with all those changes to be taken care of - simply astonishing. Keep at it! :)

Oh, PS - with such major new features, is this going to be 19.0 rather than 18.7? Oh, and best put some screen grabs on the website to illustrate - a picture's still worth a thousand words. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Oh, PS - with such major new features, is this going to be 19.0 rather than 18.7? Oh, and best put some screen grabs on the website to illustrate - a picture's still worth a thousand words. :)

I quit major/minor version numbers a long time ago. Version numbers are now - and have been for a long time - based on release date, i.e.; <year>.<month>. So, 18.5 only means that version was released in May 2018.

Major/minor version numbers stopped making sense once Winstep moved to a yearly upgrade subscription model. When not using this model developers are forced to save the really juicy stuff to major releases, using this model new features can be implemented as soon as you think of them. Win-win all around.

As for screenshots, only once I also have vertical shelves working. This is pretty much still work-in-progress. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
I quit major/minor version numbers a long time ago. Version numbers are now - and have been for a long time - based on release date, i.e.; <year>.<month>. So, 18.5 only means that version was released in May 2018.

Major/minor version numbers stopped making sense once Winstep moved to a yearly upgrade subscription model. When not using this model developers are forced to save the really juicy stuff to major releases, using this model new features can be implemented as soon as you think of them. Win-win all around.

As for screenshots, only once I also have vertical shelves working. This is pretty much still work-in-progress. :)

Yeah, makes sense re: version numbers.

RE: screenshots, naturally we want to see a vertical shelf in there to tempt folks. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:20 am 

Found a bug:

On a dock (my case docked to bottom edge, let`s call it Dock 1) if you try to drag and drop a shortcut placed on a subdock located on Dock 1, directly on the Dock 1, after doing the operation, the Dock 1 behaves like the option for drag and drop is set to lock (even if the said option from dock proprieties remains unchecked, so unlocked), meaning you can not drag and drop anything. The problem is fixed only if you exit Winstep and run it again.

You can drop icons into the subdock without a problem. You can move the subdock around as well.
The bug seems to trigger only on operations that are taking place on the same dock (Dock 1 or Dock 2, etc), if you try to do the drag and drop of the icon from a subdock between Dock 1 and Dock 2, for example, everything is fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:51 am 

Vlad wrote:
Found a bug:

On a dock (my case docked to bottom edge, let`s call it Dock 1) if you try to drag and drop a shortcut placed on a subdock located on Dock 1, directly on the Dock 1, after doing the operation, the Dock 1 behaves like the option for drag and drop is set to lock (even if the said option from dock proprieties remains unchecked, so unlocked), meaning you can not drag and drop anything. The problem is fixed only if you exit Winstep and run it again.

You can drop icons into the subdock without a problem. You can move the subdock around as well.
The bug seems to trigger only on operations that are taking place on the same dock (Dock 1 or Dock 2, etc), if you try to do the drag and drop of the icon from a subdock between Dock 1 and Dock 2, for example, everything is fine.

can sorta confirm, it seems a bit random, happened just once out of several tries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, I will try to reproduce it here and I'll let you guys know.

In the mean time, multiple shelves (NOT vertical shelves) is 99% done. Like docks, each Shelf can have its own independent theme, etc...

I managed to nearly reproduce the 'Drawers' idea I talked about in another thread by making a Shelf with a single tab and setting the number of visible rows to the maximum (which in this case is 9 and obviously not enough lol)

Some things I still have to change have to do with options like the right click 'Send to WorkShelf' option in Explorer context menus and 'Make Shelf Tab from Dock' - besides tab, you now also have to ask which Shelf, as you can now have multiple Shelves.

I added a new 'Make Shelf' button to the Dock & Shelves Manager tab in Preferences, in addition to the already existing 'Make Dock' button. Clicking that button will make a new floating Shelf with 3 tabs. Note, however, that in the list Shelves will always appear before docks.

It's a pity I have to use static pre-defined images to represent docks & shelves in the Dock & Shelves Manager tab instead of actual 'live' previews. Unfortunately representing the actual contents would not work: imagine a really long dock, when resized to fit the available space it would show up as a very thin line.

What I could perhaps do is something similar to the themes tab: not show the actual content, but rather the theme currently applied to that dock or Shelf, with pre-defined static content allowing me to control the size of that visual representation of the dock/shelf.

Not sure if it is worth it though, since creating real life preview screenshots does take some time, and you can have many docks and shelves listed in the Docks & Shelves Manager tab.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:38 pm 

Bug/crash

when rapidly switching from themes tab and back with animations for UI disabled: (probably bc it was still loading themes for themes tab( reproduced 4 times in a row):

Application Name: WorkShelf.exe
Application Version: 18.5.0.1321
Application Timestamp: 5b13a690
Fault Module Name: StackHash_a25b
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c000041d
Exception Offset: 75014f69
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: a25b
Additional Information 2: a25b56de39c56ba721594f6fa91bf958
Additional Information 3: c70f
Additional Information 4: c70fa124e74f50d5d285e9446b6bf9b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:28 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
.... In the mean time, multiple shelves (NOT vertical shelves) is 99% done. Like docks, each Shelf can have its own independent theme, etc...

Dizzying speed Jorge! And after the last 1% comes the real easy bit! LOL!
winstep wrote:
I managed to nearly reproduce the 'Drawers' idea I talked about in another thread by making a Shelf with a single tab and setting the number of visible rows to the maximum (which in this case is 9 and obviously not enough lol)

Ooh yeah, very interesting idea that, but I'm sure you'll get that sorted eventually, maybe another time?
winstep wrote:
.... It's a pity I have to use static pre-defined images to represent docks & shelves in the Dock & Shelves Manager tab instead of actual 'live' previews. Unfortunately representing the actual contents would not work: imagine a really long dock, when resized to fit the available space it would show up as a very thin line.

What I could perhaps do is something similar to the themes tab: not show the actual content, but rather the theme currently applied to that dock or Shelf, with pre-defined static content allowing me to control the size of that visual representation of the dock/shelf.

Not sure if it is worth it though, since creating real life preview screenshots does take some time, and you can have many docks and shelves listed in the Docks & Shelves Manager tab.

Nah, not worth the effort and the wait with possibly half a dozen shelves/docks. Heck, AFAIC even a pen-and-ink drawing would be fine. ;)

Trying to repro those 'bugs' but so far, nothing....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, in the mean time I implemented true Shelf high DPI scaling (previously only the text size was increased, now it's everything, tabs, icons, buttons, text, etc...).

BUT....!

I'm doing my best, but not all themes will display 100% correctly at high DPI with this change.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, looks like I managed to solve most if not all the high DPI problems after all.

A very cool thing about adding full DPI support to the Shelf is that this doesn't necessarily need to be limited to high DPI displays: just like you can scale desktop modules, you can now scale the shelf as well.

So, imagine a theme like KTEK-4D: the theme is absolutely gorgeous (one of the best, in my opinion) but it was made when the most common screen resolution was still 1024x768 (or even 800x600). As a result everything is pretty tiny, font sizes included, which can make the Shelf hard to use on today's big screen resolutions.

Well, now all you need to do is scale the Shelf up and Bob's your uncle! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
So, imagine a theme like KTEK-4D: the theme is absolutely gorgeous (one of the best, in my opinion) but it was made when the most common screen resolution was still 1024x768 (or even 800x600). As a result everything is pretty tiny, font sizes included, which can make the Shelf hard to use on today's big screen resolutions.

Sweet! Keep it up, Jorge!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
.... As a result everything is pretty tiny, font sizes included, which can make the Shelf hard to use on today's big screen resolutions.

Really neat! Now all we need is the same for NeXus and NextSTART.... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Really neat! Now all we need is the same for NeXus and NextSTART.... ;)

For Nexus docks all you need to do is increase the icon size.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next