Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.5?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is anyone here using the new Drawers? If so, could you post a screenshot of your desktop please (something nice I could use)? :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:44 am 

winstep wrote:
Is anyone here using the new Drawers? If so, could you post a screenshot of your desktop please (something nice I could use)? :D

http://prntscr.com/kismv7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:23 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Jorge, I think I've come across a new though minor prob with this latest pubic beta.

The in-shelf/-dock's analogue clock's hands colours - despite the 'use default' setting - don't seem to get remembered in a theme I'm currently working on.

Also, the text colour - although correctly defined in the .wsm file - of the DT CPU mod keeps reverting to that of the previous theme. (Everywhere else the correct text colour is kept.)

Can you please provide detailed examples of how to reproduce, Ric? My mind has been a bit mush these last few days.

Never mind, Jorge, got it sorted. :) For some odd reason, when changing both the hand colours and the CPU text colour in prefs, they didn't get saved to file. And I got the wrong colour when looking at the respective config files but assumed they were right - when I triple checked these, saved the correct ones again manually and all seems fine now. Phew, that's a relief. So no problem, other than those two colours not getting saved to file by prefs.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:39 pm 

Being that I missed out on the input and development, can someone tell me what the differences are between a drawer and a sub-dock? Other than the appearance, I don't see the difference.

I tried the drawer briefly, but for some reason I'm not too fond of it. That really surprises me. I love 99% of the features of Winstep Xtreme. I guess I need more info on the benefits of it.

One of the things I don't like is how it looks while retracted. I would prefer that when retracted it is invisible, but I guess that's not possible because of the dock. When opened, I don't like that either. I tried a few themes, but "no bueno". I didn't try the myriad of other themes available.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Being that I missed out on the input and development, can someone tell me what the differences are between a drawer and a sub-dock? Other than the appearance, I don't see the difference.

1. Drawers, unlike the Shelf, will automatically expand when you click on the tab to show all of the content in them (or at least the content that will fit on the available screen space)

2. Drawers, unlike docks, can have labels below the icons, so you don't need to mouse over an icon to know what the label says.

3. Drawers, unlike docks but like the Shelf, can display 'special' tabs (for instance, the content of the Windows Desktop, Control Panel, Recent Documents, etc)

4. You can open multiple Drawers and leave them open, unlike the Shelf where only one of the tabs can be active at a time.

5. Drawers have the tabs visible when collapsed, so you don't have to activate them by bumping a screen edge, which can lead to accidental activations.

Pretty sure there are other reasons.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:34 pm 

Hi Jorge. I just typed several requests for you to make concerning the drawer, but fortunately my knowledge of your genius made me decide to really delve into the drawer settings before posting my observations and had to delete the requests before posting. :lol:

My gripes were going to be that the browser won't fill the screen, (the Drawer is docked to the screen edge) for you to have an option to make the drawer invisible, and be able to activate the drawer via a double-bump.

I was really frustrated by the default settings because in my opinion it was not aesthetically appealing and cumbersome to use.

But once I made a few changes, POW!! I love the drawers!!

The *important* changes I made are now as follows:

Under the Position tab...

Unchecked-Keep tabs above other windows when the Drawer is collapsed. I think I changed it.

Unchecked-Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the Drawer THIS SETTING CAUSED ME THE MOST ANGST.

Checked-Respect space reserved by other docks, toolbars and screen objects. ALONG WITH THE PREVIOUS ONE, THIS SETTING CAUSED ME THE MOST ANGST.

Under the Behavior tab...can't remember if I changed any of the settings here, but

Checked-Auto-hide after a short delay

Checked-Activation acts as a toggle (shows if hidden, hides if visible)

I changed the Drawer theme to K-TEK 4D. Now the Drawer looks awesome when it's docked and I can make it invisible along with my dock while my browser is open! :D

Keep up the great work Jorge!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Unchecked-Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the Drawer THIS SETTING CAUSED ME THE MOST ANGST.

Checked-Respect space reserved by other docks, toolbars and screen objects. ALONG WITH THE PREVIOUS ONE, THIS SETTING CAUSED ME THE MOST ANGST.

This only proves that each person is different - which is exactly why you have so many different settings, so you can customize the software to work exactly how YOU tailor it.

The Shelf by default also prevents maximized windows from covering it ("Prevent maximized windows from overlapping..."), and this makes sense because the tabs take very little space and should therefore always always remain visible so you can quickly access the tab you want. If you allow maximized windows to cover the Shelf, then you're going to have a hard time accessing it unless you start enabling edge bumps, etc... and even then...

Likewise the Drawers are pretty much like single-tabbed Shelves, so it makes sense for them to reserve screen space so the tabs do not get covered by maximized windows, for the very same reasons.

Again, if this is not what you want, you can change it - but it's the most sensible option, which is why it is currently the default.

As for the 'Respect space reserved by other docks, toolbars...' being enabled by default, this too makes all the sense in the world. If this setting is NOT turned on and you position a drawer at the bottom of the screen, then the tab will simply go BEHIND the always-on-top Windows taskbar, preventing you from even seeing that it is actually there. With that setting on, it will position itself ABOVE the taskbar, just like the Shelf currently does.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another bug in the v18.8 beta I just found:

The names of the available voice themes were not being correctly retrieved in the Sounds tab. Likewise, and for a similar motive, they were not changing to the correct localized voice files when switching to a different language.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:23 am 

winstep wrote:
As for the 'Respect space reserved by other docks, toolbars...' being enabled by default, this too makes all the sense in the world. If this setting is NOT turned on and you position a drawer at the bottom of the screen, then the tab will simply go BEHIND the always-on-top Windows taskbar, preventing you from even seeing that it is actually there. With that setting on, it will position itself ABOVE the taskbar, just like the Shelf currently does.

Jorge, I was in error about 'Respect space reserved by other docks, toolbars...' being enabled by default.

After reading your post I made a new drawer to see what the default settings are. I thought I changed it to that, but saw that I did not.

I got it confused with the setting I did change which is THE OTHER ONE THAT CAUSED THE ANGST..."Activate Drawer by bumping the screen edge with the mouse pointer".

By default, that one is unchecked.

So, the two that I should have listed that I changed it to was...

Unchecked-Prevent maximized windows from overlapping the Drawer

Checked-Activate Drawer by bumping the screen edge with the mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Another bug in the v18.8 beta I just found:

The names of the available voice themes were not being correctly retrieved in the Sounds tab. Likewise, and for a similar motive, they were not changing to the correct localized voice files when switching to a different language.

Always hated that voice stuff - last thing on earth I'd want on a computer is having the bl**dy time announced all the time! Would drive me bonkers. ;) Also, last time I checked it for testing purposes, the military style thing was all wrong actually - I'll have another look into that and report when I get a chance.

Something else Jorge. Since my restore, the shelf arrows are not only suspiciously close to the last icon in some circumstances (speak themes/orientations) but I can actually resize the shelf so that the arrows overlaps with the last icon.

Now for some reason best known unto itself, the restore managed to miss out on the two public betas in the installed app, so I manually re-installed Pub Beta 2 only - might that have something to do with it? Or maybe I just didn't notice it before.

And now that everything is back to normal again, time to do another backup. I must say I'm quite impressed with the Win 7 Backup utility. Although the backup and sys image seems very slow to complete, the restore is pretty quick and dead simple and doesn't seem to miss much. I've done the backups under Win 7 itself before but never had to do a restore. So this restore under Win 10 was my first time. One of the better things that MS has come up with.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another bug in v18.8 I just fixed:

It was no longer possible to run Internal Commands by hot key (i.e.; by assigning a hot key to the command in the Item Properties dialog).

Good thing I delayed the release by as much as possible. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 pm 

when aplying transparency to drawer part of it remains fully opaque

http://prntscr.com/km7u1x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
when aplying transparency to drawer part of it remains fully opaque

Thanks, Seeker! Same thing happens with the Shelf and the active tab.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:37 am 

also when collapsed it displays ony a part of the drawer opaque even though its set to be opaque fully
http://prntscr.com/km9i34

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I fixed the non-transparent tab, but we still have a problem with the two different different levels of transparency for collapsed and non-collapsed.

I won't be able to come up with a solution at this time - in the end I might actually resort to removing the transparency options for the collapsed state and use only one for both states.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 388 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next