Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Extend Detection Zone
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:30 pm 

I went through the options but could not find a setting for this.
Auto-hide is in use but the mouse pointer needs to drop down within the docks area to show the dock.

Is it possible to extended the detection area to the whole of the desktop?

Post subject: Re: Extend Detection Zone
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Indi wrote:
I went through the options but could not find a setting for this.
Auto-hide is in use but the mouse pointer needs to drop down within the docks area to show the dock.

Is it possible to extended the detection area to the whole of the desktop?

Not as far as I am aware. But just what would be the point of that anyway? Why hide it in the first place then? And OTOH, if you want the dock, you would want to have the mp near it anyway. Sorry, doesn't seem to make any sense to me. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Extend Detection Zone
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indi, Ric does have a point: you want the mouse pointer near a dock when it pops up. You know where the dock is, and since it is normally centered on the screen, at most all you have to do is aim to the middle of the screen edge.

The dock not responding the edge bumps outside the area where it will appear is by design, i.e.; it was deliberately coded that way to minimize accidental activations when aiming for the titlebar of maximized windows, etc... If it wasn't like that, instead of complaining about this you would now be complaining about the dock accidentally activating when you don't want it to (which is, BY FAR, the most common complain).

One thing you could try (actually not sure it will work since I haven't looked at the code yet) is to associate a 'hot key' to the dock (Behavior -> Activation Settings), that hotkey being an edge bump on the same screen edge the dock is hiding into.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]