Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Importing Settings Doesn't Work
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:42 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
Didn't have the opportunity to read it because of my medical issue. I just finished going through that thread and it's awesome!!

Now for some somber news. :cry:

If I right-click the Dock Control Icon > Insert New Dock Item > Internal Command > Disk > CD Control, nothing happens when I click on it. I can't get the CD Control to work. When I open the Dock Entry Properties for the CD Control on my dock, Run As Administrator, Run, Animation and Find Item are all grayed-out.

I checked my Win7 PC and Run As Administrator is checked.

If I drag and drop my DVD/CD drive onto the dock and then click on it, it opens the drawer but won't close it. A dialog pops up telling me to insert a disc-probably because it functions as a folder as I saw in the Dock Entry Properties.

I have the CD Control int. cmd. in a menu, and same thing here - only opens, won't close. But, OTOH, much quicker to do it all manually anyway, esp. closing as one has either just inserted or removed a disc anyway so the hand's right there already. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
If I drag and drop my DVD/CD drive onto the dock and then click on it, it opens the drawer but won't close it. A dialog pops up telling me to insert a disc-probably because it functions as a folder as I saw in the Dock Entry Properties.

Not all CD drives (especially not those on laptops) can close the door by themselves. Some require the user to physically push the tray to close.

Opening via the CD Control IC should still work though. Are you sure it's pointing to the right CD drive (check the drive letter) in the CD Control IC Item Properties dialog. Also, is there an error message popping up a short time after clicking on it?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:55 am 

Yep, it's pointing to the correct drive. There is no error message. Nothing at all happens when I click on it.

This PC (Win10) has a Blu-ray drive. Is there a way for me to gain administrator rights to the drive? Could that be the problem?

The reason I'm wondering if that could be the problem is as mentioned earlier, Run As Administrator is grayed out but checked/ticked on my Win7 PC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The IC does not need Admin rights to do its job.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:24 pm 

So, do you know why it won't work?

Does anyone else have this problem? It works perfectly on my Win& PC.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
So, do you know why it won't work?

No I don't. The fact that it does not spew out an error message makes me think that the CD Control IC was told by Windows that the command to eject the drive succeeded. Why nothing actually happens I have no idea.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:45 pm 

I'm having another issue that's very annoying and can't figure out how to stop it.

I use Irfanview for my default image viewer and have been using it for years along with Winstep Xtreme.

Now since using it with the Win10 PC, every time I open an image via the context menu using a Hotspot, the stupid thing keeps asking me "How do you want to open this file?" I already have Irfanview set as the default. It doesn't do that if I open an image without using Xtreme. For example, if I activate the Hotspot context menu by bumping> right-click a folder > Open > then left-click an image, it will open the image without asking.

To see what I'm talking about, check out the following link of how it works on the Win7 PC without asking. It starts at 0:23. I made this video some years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr8UPacCWq0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:57 pm 

After installing the new beta v18.8.1331 (NextSTART V18.8.881) the scaling issue I had with WorkShelf is gone!! :D

However, there is a new problem with WorkShelf. Now when I scroll through the icons, it scrolls in the opposite direction! When I move my mouse ring downwards, it will scroll up, and vice-versa.

The icons are in reverse order alphabetically. In other words, it's acting like it's in descending order on Windows Explorer/folder instead of ascending.

I tried right-clicking on WorkShelf > Sort by > and repeatedly click Name, to try to toggle through to change the ascending/descending order like it would in the View > Sort by, section in a folder in Windows since I couldn't find where to change that.

This is the first time that this has ever happened.

Oh BTW, I haven't installed the betas on my Win7 PC yet. I have to leave shortly to teach. I'll install it when I get back to see if it does it on that PC as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually it is NOW that it's working as it should. See THIS post for reference and my explanation immediately below it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:46 am 

I'm still a bit confused about it. Can you make an option to make WorkShelf work the way it did before? It's kind of like peddling a bicycle and going backwards instead of forward.

I didn't install the betas on my Win7 yet. Just when I finished teaching, my family called and they just arrived at the house from out of town. We ended up going out to eat and chatted for a while. Now it's after midnight. I'm too tired to install and test it now, but will do it tomorrow morning or afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
I'm still a bit confused about it. Can you make an option to make WorkShelf work the way it did before? It's kind of like peddling a bicycle and going backwards instead of forward.

Sorry, Windy, I can't, you will just have to get used to it again, at least in terms of the order of the icon rows. What you had before when more than one row of icons was showing was WRONG, which created a visual glitch when collapsing/un-collapsing a Shelf, now it's right.

HOWEVER, if you mean only the action of the mouse scroll wheel, that is something still open to discussion. I will mention it to the others in the topic next door.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

Sorry, Windy, I can't, you will just have to get used to it again, at least in terms of the order of the icon rows. What you had before when more than one row of icons was showing was WRONG, which created a visual glitch when collapsing/un-collapsing a Shelf, now it's right.

HOWEVER, if you mean only the action of the mouse scroll wheel, that is something still open to discussion. I will mention it to the others in the topic next door.

Mouse scroll wheel seems absolutely right. It acts the way it should and indeed does everywhere else.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Mouse scroll wheel seems absolutely right. It acts the way it should and indeed does everywhere else.

Not so sure. It's right for a Shelf at the *bottom* of the screen - now stick that same Shelf at the *top* of the screen and let me know.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:18 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Not so sure. It's right for a Shelf at the *bottom* of the screen - now stick that same Shelf at the *top* of the screen and let me know.

Actually, I was referring to a top-docked shelf. :) The direction of the icon rows is down, so it makes perfect sense. (More also in the other thread.) Though the scroll arrows somehow *feel* wrong in this context although of course they are perfectly correct.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

I've always used only one row and cycled through. I guess I'm having problems understanding why it can't use a similar function like Windows Explorer/folder does (Ascending/Descending) to change the icon order which I figure should not cause a glitch.

I just can't understand why the program cares if the order is ascending or descending.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 44 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next