Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Winstep Nexus
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:46 pm 

Hey, I recently installed the Nexus Dock and after playing around with the settings, I set it on Auto Hide and the activation to be an Edge Bump.
The problem is that the edge bump needs to be rather precise for it to activate, for example if I move my mouse up but drag it a bit instead of leaving it still in the edge, it won't active. And if I move my mouse to the edge from the side, it won't activate either.

Is there a way to make it so that regardless of the movement, as long as I hover my mouse on the edge of the screen for a set amount of time, the dock will appear?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Winstep Nexus
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Preferences -> Behavior tab -> Activation Settings -> Edge Bump Settings

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:43 pm 

Thank you for your response.

I have checked the settings you said but none of them seem to resolve what I mentioned. The dock won't appear if I drag my mouse from the side, or if I don't leave my mouse perfectly still after reaching the edge of the screen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vladlust wrote:

I have checked the settings you said but none of them seem to resolve what I mentioned. The dock won't appear if I drag my mouse from the side, or if I don't leave my mouse perfectly still after reaching the edge of the screen.

I use NeXus as part of Winstep Xtreme, but I can't really see that that should be any different from the stand-alone version you seem to be using. I have a dock set to activate with a screen-bump, with a 400ms delay, which is virtually instantaneous. I have never encountered any problems with that, regardless of angle of approach to the screen edge. However, it sounds to me that you might have a long delay set - you can move the slider from 0 to 2000ms (i.e., 2 seconds) delay. Have you checked that? Also, check the further "Edge Bump Settings" panel for the detailed settings that there are no long delays set.

HTH.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vladlust wrote:

If you are dragging sideways, then that is not an edge *bump*. It is an edge *slide*, and you have settings to activate with an edge slide instead of an edge bump.

And edge bump is where you move the mouse pointer in a motion *perpendicular* to the screen edge (i.e.; upwards for a top screen edge bump, downwards for a bottom screen edge bump, etc...).

Furthermore, an edge bump or slide will only have an effect if you touch the edge in the area where the dock has hidden to (e.g.; if the dock is centered on your screen and does not occupy the left 1/3 of your screen, then bumping that 'empty' area will have no effect).

This restrictions exist to try and mitigate one of the most common and annoying events which are accidental dock activations, i.e.; activating a hidden dock when that is not what you wanted to do.

This normally happens because the titlebar of maximized windows are right next to the top screen edge, so you move the mouse pointer to one of the window's titlebar's buttons, overshoot and end up touching the screen edge, causing an accidental activation. Other times they happen when you simply move the mouse pointer out of the way and it accidentally touches the screen edge.

Anyway, docks have other activation methods which you can set as an 'hotkey', and you can even combine two different edge bump/slide methods for best results. The settings for edge bumps and edge slides are also flexible enough to allow plenty of movement of the mouse pointer in the other direction - but you do have to get used to work within the limits of those settings.

I can make the dock pop up 100% of the time with an edge bump - so I'm not sure what you're doing for that not to happen there. As I said, I suspect you're using an edge slide instead of an edge bump. Try combining the two methods, i.e.; add an edge slide as a second (by 'hotkey') activation method.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:52 pm 

nexter wrote:
Vladlust wrote:

I use NeXus as part of Winstep Xtreme, but I can't really see that that should be any different from the stand-alone version you seem to be using. I have a dock set to activate with a screen-bump, with a 400ms delay, which is virtually instantaneous. I have never encountered any problems with that, regardless of angle of approach to the screen edge. However, it sounds to me that you might have a long delay set - you can move the slider from 0 to 2000ms (i.e., 2 seconds) delay. Have you checked that? Also, check the further "Edge Bump Settings" panel for the detailed settings that there are no long delays set.

HTH.
nexter wrote:
Vladlust wrote:

HTH.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to this! I checked some settings and decreasing the delay does help, but I might actually try and use the swipe function instead and see if that feels more comfortable to me. Again, thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:56 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Vladlust wrote:
nexter wrote:

HTH.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to this! I checked some settings and decreasing the delay does help, but I might actually try and use the swipe function instead and see if that feels more comfortable to me. Again, thanks for your help!

You are most welcome! :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 7 posts ]