Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Auto Hide Setting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:21 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RayAlpha wrote:
For explanation. On the last screenshot of me you can see the web browser. If I want to change the tab (or open a new one), I always reach the top of the screen with my mouse. And every time the dock opens. It's frustrating.

I just want the dock not to open when a window is maximized (for example the Browser). And when I'm on the desktop, I want the dock to open when I move the mouse to the top of the screen.

So change to activation by edge swipe instead of edge bump and set a longer delay, simple really.

I'm afraid I can't really see anything in your screen shot nor video, it's all too small/un-sharp. But it sure sounds like the above is all that's needed. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RayAlpha wrote:
For explanation. On the last screenshot of me you can see the web browser. If I want to change the tab (or open a new one), I always reach the top of the screen with my mouse. And every time the dock opens. It's frustrating.

I just want the dock not to open when a window is maximized (for example the Browser). And when I'm on the desktop, I want the dock to open when I move the mouse to the top of the screen.

I have to agree with Ric (Nexter) that you seem to be going about this the wrong way, then.

There are a TON of different edge bump settings designed to prevent accidental activations (taking longer to respond, etc), and you can also change from an edge bump to an edge swipe like Ric suggested.

Also, have you considered moving the dock to the *bottom* of the screen instead of the top?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:32 pm 

Of course, I have already tried edge swipe. But it is a different feeling and not so fast. So that's not the case for me. Everything worked fine before the update. I bought Nexus Ultimate a long time ago. And no updates made since. But since I have updates, the desired behavior does not work anymore.

The dock at the bottom is out of the question for me. There is the Windows 10 taskbar. Left and right is not synonymous because I swipe there on two other screens.

Can not add a setting that maximized windows should cover the dock? Pleace :(

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:15 pm 

did you try checking if this setting is enabled?

https://prnt.sc/kgbt5n

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

RayAlpha wrote:
Of course, I have already tried edge swipe. But it is a different feeling and not so fast. So that's not the case for me. Everything worked fine before the update. I bought Nexus Ultimate a long time ago. And no updates made since. But since I have updates, the desired behavior does not work anymore.

The dock at the bottom is out of the question for me. There is the Windows 10 taskbar. Left and right is not synonymous because I swipe there on two other screens.

Can not add a setting that maximized windows should cover the dock? Pleace :(

As has been explained before by Jorge, there already is such a setting. Combine this with more suitable activation settings, and Bob's your uncle! :)

Auto hide and activation settings work exactly as intended, and as far as I'm aware there have been no changes in this for quite some time I think. I suspect that some of your settings may have changed for some reason or other and that your updating was purely coincidental.

As for bottom dock - the dock will sit above the Windows taskbar quite happily, and as your dock in any case is tiny there's little space lost at the bottom.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:

That setting is just to bring the dock to the top of other windows EVEN if it is currently already visible (i.e.; not hiding behind the screen edge).

RayAlpha might have a point, I might have changed the behavior a long time ago (and if I did so for some reason it was), and he was probably running a very old version for years. This is the behavior he got used to.

Anyway, I checked how RocketDock works and it does NOT come forward under any circumstances when set to 'Always on bottom', not even when activated.

I could add an extra setting to determine what 'Always on bottom' docks do when activated, with the current behavior set as default.

Something else that occurred to me (although I'm not sure yet how easy it would be to implement) to help with accidental activations: add a secondary delay for edge bumps which is used instead of the primary for top edge bumps only when a window is maximized (my guess is that most accidental activations happen when dealing with maximized windows). This way the dock could take longer to respond to an edge bump if there is a maximized window on the screen, and respond normally if not.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

That setting is just to bring the dock to the top of other windows EVEN if it is currently already visible (i.e.; not hiding behind the screen edge).

RayAlpha might have a point, I might have changed the behavior a long time ago (and if I did so for some reason it was), and he was probably running a very old version for years. This the behavior he got used to.

*That* would explain it, indeed! In that case, my assumption of some accidental change in his settings would have been wrong.

(Speaking of very old versions etc., just today found a couple of very old themes of mine that have an nxtile! So must have had a version slightly later than NS3.41/WS2.0 but it's probably lost on a semi-dead USB drive. And another one is dying - only getting small bits and bobs off it. :/ Need another couple of 4 or 5TB drives to make sure nothing like that can happen again in a hurry.)
winstep wrote:
Anyway, I checked how RocketDock works and it does NOT come forward under any circumstances when set to 'Always on bottom', not even when activated.

I could add an extra setting to determine what 'Always on bottom' docks do when activated, with the current behavior set as default.

Yikes, more settings? Wouldn't that be complicated to do? And distracting from the TLC that NextSTART Taskbar needs and deserves? :)
winstep wrote:
Something else that occurred to me (although I'm not sure yet how easy it would be to implement) to help with accidental activations: add a secondary delay for edge bumps which is used instead of the primary for top edge bumps only when a window is maximized (my guess is that most accidental activations happen when dealing with maximized windows). This way the dock could take longer to respond to an edge bump if there is a maximized window on the screen, and respond normally if not.

And double yikes! ;) I could see that leading to a lot of confusion and people making the wrong settings and then not having a clue what's gone wrong. (We've already seen stranger things.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:27 am 

nexter wrote:
Yikes, more settings? Wouldn't that be complicated to do?

The Setting already exists. Only it does not work.

Attachment:
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG [ 145.97 KiB | Viewed 16307 times ]

"Should the dock always be above the other windows?" My Setting: "Always under the other windows"

After all, that means the dock should always be under the maximized windows, right?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RayAlpha wrote:
After all, that means the dock should always be under the maximized windows, right?

The problem with that is that you are then COMPLETELY unable to activate the dock when a window is maximized EVEN IF YOU WANT TO. You will ALWAYS need to restore or minimize that window first, as well as any other windows that might be behind it hiding the dock.

Besides, your problem is NOT whether you should be able to activate the dock when a window is maximized or not. Your REAL problem, the thing you are really trying to prevent, is accidental dock activations.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 am 

I am really sorry if I do not express myself clearly. I use the Google translator and try to understand as much as possible. I summarize again.

The dock should be hidden on the desktop. On the desktop it should be activatable with the mouse pointer. And it should then hide again when I go away with the mouse pointer. If I have a maximized window open (for example, the browser, or the maximized data explorer), the dock should not appear when I hover over the top. It should always be under the window and never come out.

I just want to make sure you understand me. Can you confirm that to me?

Thank you for the great support and that you answer me here. I think Nexus Ultimate is very good. It's a big part for me and my windows. I can understand that you do not want more settings. But I always find it a pity that developers do not trust users and always want to make things easier. Good software has many settings and allows many things to be personalized. My opinion. I wish for a solution to my problem.

EDIT:

Does the guy have the same problem as me?

sds28 wrote:
Hello! New guy here! I must say that I really love this software! It's almost perfect.

Maybe someone has asked this before but... I don't seem to find an option for the dock to not appear when I'm browsing on Chrome. I use the dock on top and I usually have a lot of tabs open and it's somewhat annoying when the dock appears... It's driving me nuts! Haha.

Maybe add this option on a future release?

Thanks!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 am 

Hey, I wanted to ask again.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

To summarize - all the answers have already been given, they are there if you just look for them and study them properly. Work with the programme instead of against it and everything will work as you want it. It really could not be simpler nor easier.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
To summarize - all the answers have already been given, they are there if you just look for them and study them properly. Work with the programme instead of against it and everything will work as you want it. It really could not be simpler nor easier.

Ric, don't be mean lol. While true it is also a fact that apparently this is how it worked before AND that is also how Rocketdock does it.

I'll look into it again before the official release, RayAlpha.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 am 

I tried everything. Various combinations of settings. But it does not work. I turn to you because I need help. Not because I'm bored.

The user sds28 has the same problem. See my quote in the other post.

EDIT: Thank you Admin.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:35 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Ric, don't be mean lol. While true it is also a fact that apparently this is how it worked before AND that is also how Rocketdock does it.

I'll look into it again before the official release, RayAlpha.

LOL! Not trying to be mean Jorge, just stating the facts. Yes, I'm well aware that it worked differently once upon a time, and what the Dodo Rocketdock does is of little consequence I should have thought. But this is now, and this is NeXus. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next