Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: NextSTART Taskbar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:35 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I have finally got around to playing with taskbars and making a new one myself, as per the screen grab of a bottom floating one below. Task button is transparent, with sep. m-o and active bitmaps which alas screen grab doesn't capture.

Although set enabled in the .wst file, the Hotspot background image doesn't show up. Neither does the systray control button background/icon, nor the systray background. I've tried looking for clues in all sorts of themes' .wst files but without success, alas!

And, as the task btton m-o and active bitmaps are quite distinctive in that they follow the linear pattern of the taskbar background, they look extremely ugly/out of place when the taskbar is vertical. Is there perhaps a setting already for vertical images for the m-o and active tasks buttons that I missed? (I do have TasksVM and TasksVA bitmaps.) Or don't we have that atm? If not, that would be a great addition. (Do. for Hotspot and Sysback.)

Another great addition would be a new internal command for the on-screen keyboard, which I often use when I temporarily need to switch to an Icelandic or UK etc. KB while using the other. So would be nice to have in the QL section. (I'm working on a 5-way dictionary, Old English -> Middle Eng. -> Old Norse -> Mod. Icelandic -> Modern Eng., and the other way round. I'm two years into it, and it's going to take me at least another 10!)
Attachment:
Startbar1.png
Startbar1.png [ 37.22 KiB | Viewed 6481 times ]

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: NextSTART Taskbar
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:06 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
I have finally got around to playing with taskbars and making a new one myself, as per the screen grab of a bottom floating one below. Task button is transparent, with sep. m-o and active bitmaps which alas screen grab doesn't capture.

Although set enabled in the .wst file, the Hotspot background image doesn't show up. Neither does the systray control button background/icon, nor the systray background. I've tried looking for clues in all sorts of themes' .wst files but without success, alas!

And, as the task btton m-o and active bitmaps are quite distinctive in that they follow the linear pattern of the taskbar background, they look extremely ugly/out of place when the taskbar is vertical. Is there perhaps a setting already for vertical images for the m-o and active tasks buttons that I missed? (I do have TasksVM and TasksVA bitmaps.) Or don't we have that atm? If not, that would be a great addition. (Do. for Hotspot and Sysback.)

Another great addition would be a new internal command for the on-screen keyboard, which I often use when I temporarily need to switch to an Icelandic or UK etc. KB while using the other. So would be nice to have in the QL section. (I'm working on a 5-way dictionary, Old English -> Middle Eng. -> Old Norse -> Mod. Icelandic -> Modern Eng., and the other way round. I'm two years into it, and it's going to take me at least another 10!)
Attachment:
Startbar1.png

This may have been mentioned before, but just discovered when having the Net mod in the taskbar and the taskbar is vertical but then switched to horizontal, the two net icons remain one below the other and therefor the bottom one not visible. Only thing to be done to correct this is reloading the theme.

The taskbar seems to me to be a far better place for mods than shelf or (least of all!) dock, btw. Superb job, Jorge, capturing mods to the TB. Really, with that and hotspots for even docks in the QL, in principle the TB is already pretty close to that warped bar I was talking about before, actually. Just never realised just how close because normally never used the TB before, just tasklist and systray.

In fact, in my personal setup, with most themes I might just stick with a taskbar (once I get that sorted properly) and a shelf, and just open a dock from the QL as and when needed. Who'd have thought the TB could be so amazingly versatile! I'm quite 'wowed' by it. Just needs some TLC. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 2 posts ]