Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Themes and Labels for a Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:03 am 

I only just bought the program and am having some trouble getting it exactly the way I want.

Firstly, I have two different docks for two different things. I'm having trouble with the themes and settings for them. I have them with different themes and colors which is exactly what I want. But I keep having a problem every time I change an aspect of one because then the other switches over to it as well. Then I have to go back and change the other one back to the way I want that one to be. Sometimes it then changes them both to the other theme again and sometimes it doesn't and allows both the docks to be different. How to I get this to stop happening?

Secondly, sub-docks. Is there a way to have a sub-dock display different theme than the main dock it drops down from? Also, is there a way for sub-docks to display horizontally when dropping from a horizontal menu? And is there a way to have sub-docks display without the little downward arrow at the bottom left of the icons? I know it's a sub-dock, I don't need the program to mess up my aesthetics with little arrows to tell me what I already know. Maybe it's stupid, but of everything I've found so far with this program those little white arrows are the one thing I truly hate.

Thirdly, I have been fiddling with the labels for the Dock Entries. I can change the color and font but can I shift them closer to the dock itself? It's kind of annoying to have them so far out to the side.

And lastly, where are good places to find themes that can be used for this program? The ones it comes with are okay but I'd be interested to see what else is out there.

Post subject: Re: Themes and Labels for a Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Magpie wrote:
Firstly, I have two different docks for two different things. I'm having trouble with the themes and settings for them. I have them with different themes and colors which is exactly what I want. But I keep having a problem every time I change an aspect of one because then the other switches over to it as well. Then I have to go back and change the other one back to the way I want that one to be. Sometimes it then changes them both to the other theme again and sometimes it doesn't and allows both the docks to be different. How to I get this to stop happening?

Right click on the dock's control icon (the first one, which says Nexus) -> select Appearance and Sounds in the context menu that pops up -> Lock Dock Theme.

Alternatively, right click any OTHER icon in the dock -> select Nexus in the context menu that pops up -> Appearance and Sounds -> Lock Dock Theme.

Alternatively, right click any icon in the dock -> Nexus -> Dock Properties -> go to the Themes tab -> Enable 'Lock Theme'.

Alternatively, open Preferences -> Dock & Shelves tab -> select the dock you want -> Properties button -> Themes tab in the Dock Properties dialog that pops up -> Enable 'Lock Theme'

As you can see, there are many different ways to get to Rome. :)

You can also apply a specific theme to a specific dock (instead of applying the same theme to all UNLOCKED docks at once) by going through the Themes tab in the Properties panel for that dock instead of the Themes tab in the (global) Preferences panel.

I also suggest you read this:

http://www.winstep.net/themesfaq.asp

Magpie wrote:
Secondly, sub-docks. Is there a way to have a sub-dock display different theme than the main dock it drops down from? Also, is there a way for sub-docks to display horizontally when dropping from a horizontal menu? And is there a way to have sub-docks display without the little downward arrow at the bottom left of the icons? I know it's a sub-dock, I don't need the program to mess up my aesthetics with little arrows to tell me what I already know. Maybe it's stupid, but of everything I've found so far with this program those little white arrows are the one thing I truly hate.

a) Yes. First you need to open the Dock Properties panel for that dock -> Behavior tab -> Sub-Docks button -> Disable 'Sub-docks inherit parent dock settings' (this will actually apply to all sub-docks in all docks)

Now when you right click the sub-dock icon you should have a new 'Sub-Dock Properties' entry in the context menu that pops up. From there you can select a different theme for that sub-dock only.

b) Yes. Open the Dock Properties panel for that dock -> Behavior tab -> Sub-Docks button -> Change 'How would you like your sub-docks to open' to 'Always horizontal'.

c) Sub-dock indicators are not supposed to be removed the same way (and for the same reason) you can't remove sub-menu arrows from menus in Windows.

This said, because they are also skinnable, the answer is actually Yes but it will take work and know-how. You will have to add a *blank* (i.e.; transparent) 16x16 pixel PNG file named nxsubc.png to the folder of the theme being used by that dock. If all your docks are using different themes, you will have to do this for ALL the docks (and when you switch to another theme the default sub-dock indicator will be back).

Magpie wrote:
Thirdly, I have been fiddling with the labels for the Dock Entries. I can change the color and font but can I shift them closer to the dock itself? It's kind of annoying to have them so far out to the side.

So far out to the side?! They're right next to the dock, unless something is wrong in there. Can you please post a screenshot describing what you mean (make the label appear, press the PRTSCR key on your keyboard to take a screenshot of your desktop and put it in the Windows clipboard, open a Paint program such as MS Paint, paste the image, save it as JPG, post it here).

Magpie wrote:
And lastly, where are good places to find themes that can be used for this program? The ones it comes with are okay but I'd be interested to see what else is out there.

http://www.winstep.net/themes.asp

Right where it says 'Theme Sites' on the panel at the right.

Profile WWW 

Post subject: Re: Themes and Labels for a Newbie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

P.S. Glad to see that finding out more about Nexus Ultimate didn't scare you away.

This said, for someone who just wanted something to 'take me to the corner store for milk if you understand me' (as you said in the other thread) you're already diving pretty deep, no? :wink: :D

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 3 posts ]