Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Vertical Taskbar needed enhancements
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:28 pm 

Hi, one statement I loved when first read Winstep site was:

Quote:
Maximize Working Space: Everything in Winstep Xtreme was designed to use as little screen space as possible

When using a vertical taskbar there are some issues concerning optimal space usage:

Attachment:
wsOptimiz2.png
wsOptimiz2.png [ 100.59 KiB | Viewed 10225 times ]

Hope this helps.
Greetings

Post subject: Re: Vertical Taskbar needed enhancements
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestions. Completely agree that the NextSTART taskbar needs some love, especially when vertical (very few people ever use it like that). :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:30 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Completely agree that the NextSTART taskbar needs some love, especially when vertical (very few people ever use it like that). :)

Absolutely, it sure needs some TLC. :) Have been messing with the TB, checking it in various themes inc. a few of mine. And vertical really needs attention, but especially also from skinners - in some themes it turns into a bit of a mess.

Actually, I'm in the middle of creating a new TB in a theme in which I haven't got one yet. (I usually just use the tasklist and systray only, and my old taskbars need a lot of work to them inc. some of the stuff we didn't have when I last had used Winstep.) I take it most skinning components can have a 'V' version? (It's just that no skin I've seen so far seems to be using more than the bare minimum.) Might use a few hotspots in the QL for special menus and perhaps a dock, in my personal setup. At least, in themes where I do create and will use a taskbar. In the longer run that will be almost all of them now.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:49 am 

nexter wrote:
Actually, I'm in the middle of creating a new TB in a theme in which I haven't got one yet.

Hi, I want to create a theme... is there a post with guidance on how to create one? (searching "create theme" just give hundreds of results)

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SullyPanda76cl wrote:
Hi, I want to create a theme... is there a post with guidance on how to create one? (searching "create theme" just give hundreds of results)

Thanks

Alas, at the moment there's really no such thing. We used to have a theme builder within the general prefs applets, once upon a time, but as those had to be completely re-worked the theme builder parts apparently had to be left out and in any event are better placed in a separate app - which should be in active development now, according to the current beta schedule. A good manual would also help.

Even though I have been with the programme since the beginning, with a very long absence in between due to illness, there are parts of the NextSTART taskbar that are new to me (and even a few of the old ones I'm a bit rusty on!) and so even I am struggling with configuring parts of it in the configuration file. This latter is very complex (and long!) and definitely not something you'd want to tackle as a raw beginner, so my advice is to wait for the ThemeBuilder app, which will make configuring themes a doddle. Then of course there are also all the different bitmaps in the first place....

And other parts of Winstep apps are no easier without at least some experience with their configurations and with configuration/ini files in general. A good deal of experience with graphics in general is also important, and some prior experience with skinning also helps. :)

Some sort of background in design and/or fine art can also be most useful.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 5 posts ]