Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.8?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Plans can change, and I haven't decided yet. Already missed my deadline so it doesn't matter much.

Yyes.... plans can and sometimes do change, granted. Deadline? You mean to say you intended to have all that done for an 18.9!? Phew!
winstep wrote:
Plus, if I am to increase the prices on this release, it would probably be a good idea to offer some more 'meaty' new features. Also, Microsoft just began rolling out the Windows 10 October 2018 update and it's always a good idea to wait and see if any issues arise.

Agreed on both counts. Issues though, with MS? Never! ;) Definitely time to do a major backup again here before it all happens - I see they've already dumped about half a gig's worth of stuff here. (I throttle the bandwidth they can use, though with their servers being incredibly slow I doubt it makes much of a difference.)
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Where I think this idea would make the most sense, for me anyway, would be if we could have it for launching from hotspots in the shelf itself and the QL of the taskbar. So how about it?

Yes, the same way you can already add sub-docks to a Shelf and open docks from NextSTART hotspots/QL buttons. Basically it would be an icon which you can put anywhere, the ultimate in flexibility. :)

Yes, it certainly would be. I could use that instead of the impossible 'Box' idea in my project tabs. Saves having to use single-tabbed shelves.
winstep wrote:
However, launching from NextSTART must be thought about carefully, i.e.; you can launch docks from NextSTART, but not sub-docks (and Stacks are like sub-docks, they will not appear listed in the Docks & Shelves tab in Preferences). As such they are automatically created when the parent icon is added to a dock, or whatever, and automatically destroyed when that icon is removed.

Indeed, sounds just about perfect actually.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
'Stacks' however is an awful term that really doesn't say anything much.

I disagree, because it is a name users will recognize, although visually it won't work quite the same. There's also the alternative name 'Bins' lol

Well, from the point of the term being a familiar one already, I have to agree. Familiarity breeds. ;)
winstep wrote:
The idea is to be able to use existing Shelf skins like I do for Drawers, and I can only do that if I keep the basic layout of a Shelf.

The tab can does hold the title, and as for the mini-tabs, I'll come up with some function for them (right mini-tab closes the Stack, left mini-tab open the Stacks's Properties dialog, or something like that)

Ah, right in re: tab. As for the mini-tab gadget functions, sounds about right.

I'm off on my medical from tomorrow (Friday), but asI'm getting private accommodation taking laptop along. Not sure I'll be able to get online though. Anyway, shouldn't be long.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:06 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
DanDaBear wrote:
Which is why I switched from OD. Winstep has worked consistently through several different windows versions.

With this latest OD Weather feed SNAFU, more and more hardcore OD users seem to be finally giving up on OD and switching to Nexus too.

.... Given that a lot of those hardcore OD users are also skinners, now is the perfect window of opportunity to finish that damn Winstep Theme Builder.

Yeah, I know.

Yea! LOL! Just look at the several recent queries by new users about how they could start making themes.

Bring it on, Jorge! ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:16 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
damn Winstep Theme Builder

Soon, we may be able to lovingly refer to it as the DWTB. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DesertDwarf wrote:
winstep wrote:
damn Winstep Theme Builder

Soon, we may be able to lovingly refer to it as the DWTB. :lol:

LOL! Or even, the once near-mythical DWTB. ;)

That reminds me, in the so far one and only alpha, the running app indicator is featured, and it's saved to the theme as NxIndicator.* but then not set in the *.nxs file. That is something that's surely sorely needed. After all, the user then still has the option to choose another one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:43 am 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
As discussed in the Beta section of the forums, the next release will probably also feature a long due price increase (prices have remained the same for the last 20 years, inflation has not).

Since I do not have access to the Beta section, I have one question related to the above statement and another 2 that are more or less in the same topic:

1. Does that price increase will also affect the upgrade subscription?
2. My licence expires today, how can I renew my upgrade subscription? Will I get a new button in the interface starting from tommorow? ( I guess I can just wait and find out :) ). Or am I missing something that is right in my face on the site?
3. I have the Winstep Xtreme (34,95 €) version (actually I have 2 licences on a different email, do to a mistake I made). Can I renew the upgrade subscription and also jump to the Winstep Xtreme - Home Network Edition in other way than buying a new licence?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:11 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

As NextSTART's very much on the agenda thought I'd post this here Jorge, as it includes a couple of issues with NS Taskbar and menus that need addressing. So here's that second of my short(-ish) lists - mostly going back months - for your reference, before I'm off. (Still waiting for the transport - running late!)

Apart from the above NS issues, there's another old one with NeXus, and a couple of feature queries.

1) NextSTART - This may perhaps been mentioned before, although I couldn't find anything, but - when having the Net mod in the taskbar and the taskbar is vertical but then switched to horizontal, the two net icons remain one below the other and therefor the bottom one is not in full visible range. Only thing to be done to correct this is reloading the theme.

2) NextSTART - Gadget icons on Titlebar of Horizontal Menus are not consistently displayed. Sometimes you can make them visible by clicking on the positions and sliding off them.

3) NeXus - I mentioned this long ago, but here goes again. Top edge docks with more than five or six icons (or thereabouts, with icon size set at 48px) are using the bottom edge bitmap (or invert the top one?) - this applies to tiled, advanced tiled and background docks. (This even happens with 'Atmospherica' theme, which seems the only one other than my own ones to have distinct bitmaps for all four orientations.) With some themes, inc. 'Atmospherica', it also applies to docks with only five or six icons, as seen in the below example of a tiled top edge dock :
Attachment:
00202DockIssues1a_TopDock_w_BottomTile.png
00202DockIssues1a_TopDock_w_BottomTile.png [ 19.53 KiB | Viewed 16222 times ]

Furthermore, with Advanced Tile mode and endcaps, the end-endcap tends to get inverted. There are many cases where I would prefer to use Advanced Tile mode but as things stand that is not feasible. I can't find the original screen grabs ATM (and now, for the time being, use simple tiled mode without endcaps) so instead have cobbled the bitmaps together in the same way, using the same 'wrong' top edge bitmaps :
Attachment:
00202DockIssues1b_TopDock_w_BottomTileInvertedEndcap.png
00202DockIssues1b_TopDock_w_BottomTileInvertedEndcap.png [ 9.56 KiB | Viewed 16222 times ]

Finally, this is what the correct top edge bitmaps are :
Attachment:
00202DockIssues1c_CorrectTopDock_w_Endcaps.png
00202DockIssues1c_CorrectTopDock_w_Endcaps.png [ 9.35 KiB | Viewed 16222 times ]

4) Workshelf - Is there any chance we could ever have proper bitmap skinnable overlapping tabs? I'm not talking about now, but at some point? I know it would be very complicated, and perhaps too complicated. As an alternative, could we perhaps have say two or three different fixed styles of overlap, with bitmaps for the background of the tabs? In other words, like the current two styles but just the shape of the overlapping tabs and skinners provide active and inactive bitmaps for the 'fill' background, while the body is fully skinnable with WsFullBody.* ? (There really aren't more than two or three feasible styles of overlap for tabs anyway.) Then again, perhaps that would be just as complicated to do, and what the hell do I know? :) )

Would be kind of neat, personally I like overlapping tabs, and I think we might actually see some themes using them if the whole thing was a bit more flexible than at present.

5) Everything - any possibility we could have overlays on everything, i.e., modules, shelf, tabs, menus, titlebar? I have at least a couple of themes that really could use overlays/underlays on most things or even on absolutely everything.

Overlays are a very neat idea that offers many possibilities, don't know why they're not more widely used.

:Edit: There's also a feature query re: NextSTART here: https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10829 :/Edit:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Apart from the above NS issues, there's another old one with NeXus, and a couple of feature queries.~

Nearly all of those queries are skinning related. I will look at those fully once I resume working on the Theme Builder.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
Since I do not have access to the Beta section

Sorry about that, you have now. Not much was happening in the beta section since I started making all betas public.

Vlad wrote:
1. Does that price increase will also affect the upgrade subscription?

Yes.

Vlad wrote:
2. My licence expires today, how can I renew my upgrade subscription? Will I get a new button in the interface starting from tommorow? ( I guess I can just wait and find out :) ). Or am I missing something that is right in my face on the site?

When your one year period of free upgrades expires, a new button appears in the About tab of Preferences saying 'Renew Now'. Clicking that button takes you directly to the renewal page.

Vlad wrote:
3. I have the Winstep Xtreme (34,95 €) version (actually I have 2 licences on a different email, do to a mistake I made). Can I renew the upgrade subscription and also jump to the Winstep Xtreme - Home Network Edition in other way than buying a new licence?

The Winstep Xtreme Home Network license is a 'one time effort' only. From then on renewals cost the same as for the single user license - so don't do anything.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:00 am 

Thank you for the reply, Jorge!
I renewed my licence this morning.
Talking about customer satisfaction: this is one product that I am glad to support! It is already more feature packed than I have time to handle, but I am happy to renew my subscription just because you do such a great job Jorge!

Hope that many others feel the same so you can keep on going... and going... and..... :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
Hope that many others feel the same so you can keep on going... and going... and..... :)

You know how the Duracell rabbit died, don't you? Someone inserted the batteries backwards and instead of keep on going, and going, he kept on c.... and c.... . :P

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, following up on Picco's usage of customized zodiacal sign icons for the desktop moon module in his Kal-El Theme, in the next release the skinner can already provide his own zodiac sign sheet (wsZodiac.png) which can be 3x4, 4x3 or even 1x12. The first sign in the sheet should be Aries, then Taurus, Gemini, etc...

Following the right sign order is critical, but other than that if the first image is not Aries you can also specify a 'MoonSignOffset=x' parameter to offset the signs (e.g.; if the first image is Pisces, then Aries, Taurus, Gemini, etc, then MoonSignOffset should be set to 1).

Attachment:
zodiac-signs-128x128-blue.png
zodiac-signs-128x128-blue.png [ 49.31 KiB | Viewed 16198 times ]

Hopefully Picco will read this and update the theme to take advantage of the new functionality once v18.10 is out.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:37 pm 

winstep wrote:
Hopefully Picco will read this and update the theme to take advantage of the new functionality once v18.10 is out.

Does one have to do anything to get the Beta's fixes I am sitting on Xtreem 18.8
clicking the update button says your uptodate hurmmmp

I seen else where that you had fixed something the drive icons but are still affected by this issue. in a vertical drawer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
winstep wrote:

Does one have to do anything to get the Beta's fixes I am sitting on Xtreem 18.8
clicking the update button says your uptodate hurmmmp

I seen else where that you had fixed something the drive icons but are still affected by this issue. in a vertical drawer.

All those updates/fixes will be in the next release [18.11?], it's just they're already done. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Apart from the above NS issues, there's another old one with NeXus, and a couple of feature queries.~

Nearly all of those queries are skinning related. I will look at those fully once I resume working on the Theme Builder.

Just thought I'd list them for your reference Jorge. No rush. :)

Whoopy, I've got the rest of the evening to myself! :) Ethernet cuts out at 10 but I'll be faast asleep by then!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Whoopy, I've got the rest of the evening to myself! :) Ethernet cuts out at 10 but I'll be faast asleep by then!

Have fun, lol

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next