Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.8?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:16 am 

seeker wrote:
winstep wrote:
Code:
ABCDEFGH
IJ

or in my case

Code:
IJ
ABCDEFGH

I agree.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Office theme is now available for download from HERE.

winstep wrote:
Something else I would like to add (provided it doesn't imply a lot of work to implement because of other internal dependencies) is an option to left/center/right justify icons in the Shelf. Seems to be a popular request too.

Alas, just started playing with this. Not as straightforward as I initially hoped.

For instance, what should happen to the icon grid when icons are being centered?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:37 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:

winstep wrote:
Something else I would like to add (provided it doesn't imply a lot of work to implement because of other internal dependencies) is an option to left/center/right justify icons in the Shelf. Seems to be a popular request too.

Alas, just started playing with this. Not as straightforward as I initially hoped.

For instance, what should happen to the icon grid when icons are being centered?

Things start to get ugly, huh? ;) Why not just scrap the idea? Next thing you know, people will want to place icons at random on the shelf, and all sorts.... :P

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Things start to get ugly, huh? ;) Why not just scrap the idea? Next thing you know, people will want to place icons at random on the shelf, and all sorts.... :P

LOL. Yeah, that will never happen though.

But I don't want to scrap the icon centering idea, as it can be used to good visual effect.

The problems is that the icon grid is fixed and drawn before the icons themselves.

Centering icons with it enabled can result in icons overlapping the vertical lines of the grid when there is an odd number of icons.

One possible solution is to automatically disable the grid when icons are centered. Another is to center the grid itself as well, but this in turn presents other problems.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:04 am 

winstep wrote:

Jorge, are some modules purposely not colorizing/a different color? It appears that the clock and weather modules are switching colors with the theme, but the RAM, CPU, NET, Mail, and Recycler modules mostly aren't. By that, the tag on little chevron thing around the piece of mail changes color on the mail module, but the rest doesn't, the middle of the gauges on the net meter change color, and the recycler's top cube thing changes color, but the rest of the recycler doesn't.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vectornut wrote:
Jorge, are some modules purposely not colorizing/a different color? It appears that the clock and weather modules are switching colors with the theme, but the RAM, CPU, NET, Mail, and Recycler modules mostly aren't. By that, the tag on little chevron thing around the piece of mail changes color on the mail module, but the rest doesn't, the middle of the gauges on the net meter change color, and the recycler's top cube thing changes color, but the rest of the recycler doesn't.

Paul, it has to do with how the different colorization methods work. You have Tint, Hue and Tone - you're probably colorizing with the Hue method now, but what that does is determine the *dominant* color a particular bitmap, switch that to the new color and shift all the other colors in proportion (an explanation of what the different methods do can be found in the Color Settings dialog).

This normally works well, but the Office desktop modules are mostly solid gray with only the gauges having a rainbow of colors. So, what you need to do is change the colorization method used for the modules, but you will have to do this module by module in the Modules tab in Preferences (although in can also be done in the Themes tab). Try using Tone instead, and select a darker shade of the tint color used for the rest of the theme.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:32 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

LOL. Yeah, that will never happen though.

LOL! Tut tut Jorge, you're always talking about giving the user more (and more! ;) ) choice.... :P
winstep wrote:
But I don't want to scrap the icon centering idea, as it can be used to good visual effect.

The problems is that the icon grid is fixed and drawn before the icons themselves.

Centering icons with it enabled can result in icons overlapping the vertical lines of the grid when there is an odd number of icons.

One possible solution is to automatically disable the grid when icons are centered. Another is to center the grid itself as well, but this in turn presents other problems.

The first solution is what I was going to suggest - that grid is damn ugly anyway, IMO, and with centred icons it doesn't even make sense.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:52 pm 

So what’s next well I cant get the plain clock to change and show a digital one despite settings the seam to point in the direction that it is in-fact selected as such, is the clock doomed to sit as a clockwork variety.

In Xtream how about the ability to delete Hotospot Zero, I can’t I have it hidden behind my clock.

Iam new to Winstep but I assume its been thought off adding items to the right click menu, the theming and origination of items in the rightclick(windows) menu another product long forgotten from ...

Making the shelf truly full screen width when docked at the bottom, currently there is a gap at the end on the righthand/lefthand edge.

The themebuilder so we can all show of our skills and fullfill our desires.

A weather forecast to the weather app(Not module) (perhaps 6hr segments to a day) better to know what’s coming.

An RSS Gadget/module

Not sure if this one exists: ability to change fonts used in tabs(Shelf/Drawers/shelves)

Hover action for tabs in the shelf : hover over the ‘drives’ tab for X-seconds it changes to that tab

Shelf: Ability to change what’s included in groups like (drives) Personally I would split the folders of to a folders group. A folder like ‘documents’ is not a drive …

This one may exist: ability to turn off the more information dialogs(ugly) If I hover over an Icon I get more information about it, these can be very annoying, and did I say UGLY.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:04 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
So what’s next well I cant get the plain clock to change and show a digital one despite settings the seam to point in the direction that it is in-fact selected as such, is the clock doomed to sit as a clockwork variety.

In Xtream how about the ability to delete Hotospot Zero, I can’t I have it hidden behind my clock.

Iam new to Winstep but I assume its been thought off adding items to the right click menu, the theming and origination of items in the rightclick(windows) menu another product long forgotten from ...

Making the shelf truly full screen width when docked at the bottom, currently there is a gap at the end on the righthand/lefthand edge.

The themebuilder so we can all show of our skills and fullfill our desires.

A weather forecast to the weather app(Not module) (perhaps 6hr segments to a day) better to know what’s coming.

An RSS Gadget/module

Not sure if this one exists: ability to change fonts used in tabs(Shelf/Drawers/shelves)

Hover action for tabs in the shelf : hover over the ‘drives’ tab for X-seconds it changes to that tab

Shelf: Ability to change what’s included in groups like (drives) Personally I would split the folders of to a folders group. A folder like ‘documents’ is not a drive …

This one may exist: ability to turn off the more information dialogs(ugly) If I hover over an Icon I get more information about it, these can be very annoying, and did I say UGLY.

As a 'Newbie' to Winstep Xtreme, or for that matter any other application, you should first of all thoroughly check out all the available options e.g. in the various Preferences and Dock/Shelf Properties applets, as well as any FAQs, Guides, Tutorials etc. You would find that many or even most of your queries would find their answers and solutions there. You wouldn't jump into a swimming pool and then shout to the lifeguard, "How the f*** do I stay afloat and not drown?", would you? ;)

Also, it is not the usual form to compare a new programme to others that one may have been using and ask that things be done as they were in the others. It is not done. Luckily, the Winstep forums always have had very tolerant denizens, but even then, when people used to be much more active than now it might have attracted the odd 'flame' or two. (Other forums etc. that I knew it would have been a firestorm! :) )

Never 'assume' anything - it risks making an ass of u and me. ;)

:Edit: N.B. When asking for help with a problem, it helps Jorge (and anybody else who might help) if the precise nature of the problem is stated, as well as as much detail as possible, e.g., which application is being run (e.g. Winstep Xtreme, NeXus Ultimate, NeXus free) and which version, where exactly the problem is located (e.g. Desktop Analogue Clock, In-Shelf Clock, Shelf, Dock, Taskbar, or whatever), and so on. Without precise detail, any query can quickly become a nightmare to answer. :/Edit:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:35 pm 

nexter wrote:
:Edit: N.B. When asking for help with a problem, it helps Jorge (and anybody else who might help) if the precise nature of the problem is stated, as well as as much detail as possible, e.g., which application is being run (e.g. Winstep Xtreme, NeXus Ultimate, NeXus free) and which version, where exactly the problem is located (e.g. Desktop Analogue Clock, In-Shelf Clock, Shelf, Dock, Taskbar, or whatever), and so on. Without precise detail, any query can quickly become a nightmare to answer. :/Edit:

I simply went with the topic
Post subject "So, what's next after v18.8?" and posted some suggestions, there is nothing wrong with that, I did wonder after if it was perhapse better to have posted in the wish list thread its self.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:

I simply went with the topic
Post subject "So, what's next after v18.8?" and posted some suggestions, there is nothing wrong with that, I did wonder after if it was perhapse better to have posted in the wish list thread its self.

Well no, actually what you posted is a mix of queries and effectively, feature requests, much if not most of which you would have found to be unnecessary to post had you done as I suggested - thoroughly explore all options, FAQs, etc. etc.

Incidentally, some of the query parts of your post are almost impossible to answer as there simply isn't enough detail.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting reasonable suggestions/requests/ideas here, although preferably they should be related to the current agenda for the next update. This can usually be found at the beginning of the thread. Current agenda concerns mainly 'tidying up' of a few loose ends, ThemeBuilder, and some work on the NextSTART taskbar, particularly when used vertically.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
I did wonder after if it was perhapse better to have posted in the wish list thread its self.

Yes, it would have been better, otherwise you are just spamming topics. :)

This in particular is dedicated to discussing the features I already decided to add to the next release. I mention them here and then we can discuss further on them.

The long list of questions and suggestions you made should have been posted in a topic of its own, titled, e.g.; 'Misc questions and suggestions'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Added a new feature related to what Windy was asking for in the other topic: if you press SHIFT while *clicking* the scroll arrow in a Shelf or Drawer, it will scroll a full page of icons. If you press CTRL, it will scroll to the end (or the beginning).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:39 am 

Um! Where exactly is the setting to colorize icons? (or is it still pending?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:51 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

As you mentioned the shelf and having added something to it Jorge, here's a quick question in relation to the shelf.

Is there any chance we could ever have proper bitmap skinnable overlapping tabs? I'm not talking about now, but at some point? I know it would be very complicated, and perhaps too complicated. As an alternative, could we perhaps have say two or three different fixed styles of overlap, with bitmaps for the background of the tabs? In other words, like the current two styles but just the shape of the overlapping tabs and skinners provide active and inactive bitmaps for the 'fill' background, while the body is fully skinnable with WsFullBody.* ? (There really aren't more than two or three feasible styles of overlap for tabs anyway.) Then again, perhaps that would be just as complicated to do, and what the hell do I know? :) )

Would be kind of neat, personally I like overlapping tabs, and I think we might actually see some themes using them if the whole thing was a bit more flexible than at present.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next