Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.8?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just a heads up: v18.10 should be officially released on the 9th.

Now, I wanted to surprise our Shelf icon row ex-direction apologists with a setting to get it back to the way it was before, but I honestly ended up not having the time to implement it for this release: my mom decided 87 years old is a good age to get pneumonia (she's much better now), the cars here decided that this was also the best time for both to come up with mechanical issues at the same time, etc....

So, much to my frustration I could not invest all the time I wanted on finishing this release properly and in time.

This said, I do have one question: have you (Windy, Seeker, etc) become (more) used to the way the Shelf scrolls now or are you still as bothered by it as before?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 am 

im still as bothered :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
im still as bothered :)

LOL. No you're not. You just THINK you are. But you're wrong. Wrong, I say! :wink:

Anyway, just gave you access to the Beta section of the Forums.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:25 am 

No way am I used to it! Still bothered by it. Rats I say to your mom getting pneumonia and your vehicles going on the blink!

P.S. Your mom is about the same age as mine. Glad she's doing well again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:30 am 

Bug in 18.10

The floating drawers (vertical and horizontal) get randomly placed when you try to
position them via mouse drag and drop, sometimes even outside of screen.
It affects a newly created drawer as well.
Also, as long as the dock to screen edge is deactivated, any other settings in the position tab of the drawer proprieties makes no difference in the matter.

This one is a funny bug, after the update to 18.10 I ended up playing chatch with my drawers :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
The floating drawers (vertical and horizontal) get randomly placed when you try to
position them via mouse drag and drop, sometimes even outside of screen.
It affects a newly created drawer as well.
Also, as long as the dock to screen edge is deactivated, any other settings in the position tab of the drawer proprieties makes no difference in the matter.

This one is a funny bug, after the update to 18.10 I ended up playing chatch with my drawers :lol:

Eh? I am not seeing that at all. Can you please be more detailed? A screenshot would probably help too.

When undocked, all you can do to the Drawer is set it as vertical or horizontal, and even that is working here too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:44 am 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Eh? I am not seeing that at all. Can you please be more detailed? A screenshot would probably help too.

When undocked, all you can do to the Drawer is set it as vertical or horizontal, and even that is working here too.

I can freely move around the docks and when I let go the mouse, those docks just jump to another place, in the last try it just jumped off the screen, somewhere in the top left. I had to use locate position to make it visible and then I had to drag it to a new location.
Tryed to upload an animated gif to show you, but I failed to do so.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
I can freely move around the docks and when I let go the mouse, those docks just jump to another place, in the last try it just jumped off the screen, somewhere in the top left. I had to use locate position to make it visible and then I had to drag it to a new location.

Wait, docks or drawers?!

Anyway, just tried to reproduce here with a Drawer and I couldn't. Doesn't matter if docked, undocked, or inverted.

How many monitors do you have? If more than one, do both have the same screen DPI?

Vlad wrote:

Send it to the Winstep support address.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:34 pm 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Wait, docks or drawers?!

Anyway, just tried to reproduce here with a Drawer and I couldn't. Doesn't matter if docked, undocked, or inverted.

How many monitors do you have? If more than one, do both have the same screen DPI?

Vlad wrote:

Send it to the Winstep support address.

I meant drawers not docks, that was a typo. I am using 1 monitor atm. I mailed you 2 screen record samples to support@winstep.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
I meant drawers not docks, that was a typo. I am using 1 monitor atm. I mailed you 2 screen record samples to support@winstep.net

Thanks for the video. So, from what I could see you're using some software that distorts windows when you drag them (e.g.; the Preferences window). Has it occurred to you that that could be the true culprit?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, wait... Never mind, managed to reproduce it here - it has to do with how many icons are inside the Drawer, being inverted, and it needing to make sure that it has enough space to show the content.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 pm 

winstep wrote

Quote:
Thanks for the video. So, from what I could see you're using some software that distorts windows when you drag them (e.g.; the Preferences window). Has it occurred to you that that could be the true culprit?

That software that makes windows wobbly (like compiz on linux) is part of the soon to be defunct stardock software suite (Windows Fx) and from what I can tell from its point of view winstep apps do not exist ( the preferences window is an exception, because I think all you do is tell the OS what to put inside and apart from that is just standard Windows UI).

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Ok, wait... Never mind, managed to reproduce it here - it has to do with how many icons are inside the Drawer, being inverted, and it needing to make sure that it has enough space to show the content.

I suspected that could be that. Anyway this smells like other glitches that happened during the beta that introduced the drawers and vertical shelfs. Giving that this is new stuff it is normal to get this bugs.
What made me suspect that it could be something connected to reserved space was that when you pressed reaveal in the proprieties window it popped from the top. This is the reason I had that preferences window opended, I wanted to show you that, but the recording software did not let me do anything with the window, apart from moving it around.

I will try to look around to see if I find other glitches.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

1. Icon color bug:

As far as I can tell, icon colorization works well, except for one case: animated icons, in this situation when you mouse over and the animation starts to play, the normal icon is rendered (I guess it does not takes into account the next frames). Although the effect in itself is cool (having a monochromatic or b/w icon turning full color on mouse over) it is not consistent (the other icons just play the effect associated with the mouse over).

2. Also, it seems that the dock transparency (did not tested on shelfs and drawers) it is not working correctly with Vivaldi and Edge browsers: even if set to opaque, although it stays opaque against the desktop background (animated background), when you call it to pop in front of the named browser, it is not 100% opaque (you can see the browser ui elements or the web page behind it). It seems to be ok for Opera,Firefox,Chrome and even IE. Don`t know about other apps, apart from Directory Opus that is also ok.

3. Playing with dock transparency and blur settings for the dock (don`t have a 3d party Aero Glass installed) just to see if it has any effect on the transparency (namely to make the dock opaque when the said browsers are behind) I got this error, that forced me to restart workshelf.

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 26.39 KiB | Viewed 16349 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
I suspected that could be that. Anyway this smells like other glitches that happened during the beta that introduced the drawers and vertical shelfs. Giving that this is new stuff it is normal to get this bugs.

Ok, I'm still focusing on this one, I'll tackle the others you reported above later.

So, while I've fixed this, here is the thing: the major problem is dragging a floating Drawer while the Drawer is collapsed, and this is made worse when tabs are inverted. If the Drawer was fully expanded you would be able to understand what was really happening.

When the drawer is collapsed the rest of the body is still there (i.e.; the window that the drawer is composed off retains its original dimensions), but not visible. So, it can happen that you drag the invisible part of the drawer outside the current monitor while the visible tab remains in the current monitor. This would make the drawer automatically 'jump' to the other monitor.

So, I fixed this, but when the tabs are inverted something else that will appear odd when all you are dragging is a tab is going to happen: you see, the drawer must be able to expand back to the original size, and it must be able to do so within the bounds of the current monitor (unless you drag the tab onto another monitor). So, if you drag the tab to a position where there isn't enough space between the tab and the screen edge to fully expand the drawer when you uncollapse it, the tab will 'jump' to a position where there is already enough space for this.

This can be pretty confusing because all you see is the tab. If the drawer is fully expanded when you drag it, you can understand what is happening: you would see part of the body partially appear on another monitor, while the tab itself remained on the current monitor, and when you released the mouse button you would see the whole drawer jump back to the current monitor (which would in turn change the position of the tab just like it does when the drawer is collapsed).

I'm not even sure if I am explaining myself in a way that can be understood.

Anyway, I can leave it as it is now, or I can make a floating drawer automatically expand itself if you try to drag it when collapsed, or I can make it expand automatically only when you release the mouse button after dragging, so you can actually understand what happens.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 pm 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
I'm not even sure if I am explaining myself in a way that can be understood.

It is crystal clear :) and makes perfect sense

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Anyway, I can leave it as it is now, or I can make a floating drawer automatically expand itself if you try to drag it when collapsed, or I can make it expand automatically only when you release the mouse button after dragging, so you can actually understand what happens.

As far as I am concerned, this seems like a decent solution.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 105 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7