Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Recycler Problem / Deleting Large Nos. of Files
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I'm afraid I'm again seeing that old issue with deleting multiple files/multiple folder with large numbers of files by dragging from another app (inc. from File Explorer, which I normally never ever use for file management tasks) to the desktop recycler module, Jorge. As previously, only the first item gets deleted. I guess a "real life operation" makes a difference to just testing with randomly assembled (duplicated) files.

I also tried the same thing with the Windows recycle bin, and no problem there. This is bizarre really, given that the Winstep recycler actually uses the Windows recycler.

Unfortunately, my deleting activity was on the Win 10 laptop drive, otherwise I tend to do virtually all my FM on the AMD under Win 7, which is much faster anyway, even over ethernet. (Once I can get someone to put the AMD box on a table for me I'll install the USB 3 PCIe card that an old friend sent me and connect all USB drives there anyway.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Recycler Problem / Deleting Large Nos. of Files
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I already looked into this, as you know, and couldn't find a problem.

Try to figure out if there is a pattern. For instance, do the FULL paths (e.g.; C:\Folder\Folder2\File.ext) to the items being deleted exceed MAX_PATH (255 characters) ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:38 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
I already looked into this, as you know, and couldn't find a problem.

Try to figure out if there is a pattern. For instance, do the FULL paths (e.g.; C:\Folder\Folder2\File.ext) to the items being deleted exceed MAX_PATH (255 characters) ?

Yep, that's the odd thing, that you couldn't find a problem.

I'll have to check this when I have to do a real delete like that again - simulation somehow doesn't seem to come up quite the same. I'll make a note.

But, from what I recall, I don't think the MAX_PATH would have been exceeded in this last instance, except perhaps in one of the folders lower down the order. But it almost certainly did apply in some of the folders in previous instances. (In some cases I have deeply nested sub-folder paths, and sometimes pretty long file names.)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:33 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Jorge, this seems to be one of those spurious and unfathomable quirks.

As was preparing for a major backup and (coming up now) complete disk image in prep for changing to the SSD, had occasion to delete a largish number of files, some quite large, again. So did it as before, dragging from file manager to desktop recycler. And some of the paths were longer than 255 characters.

First, took a bunch of nested folders and 1st level files totalling just over 6 GB - no problem! Then a larger lot of some 20 GB, and still no problem.

Too damn weird. Bet next time I try it, it'll barf all over the place again! ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]