Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Does Anyone Still Use Animated Recyclers?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Curious to know especially as I have about 3 further designs for animated recyclers more or less ready to go into active development. By the lack of interest in the one previewed elsewhere here it would seem like it might be a waste of time to do so, except for my own pleasure. (I tend to prefer an animated recycler - probably because I got used to that from using NeXT back in the day....)

Maybe I'll do a non-animated trash can like the bog-standard, bog-ugly old Amiga one, one of these days. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: Does Anyone Still Use Animated Recyclers?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm 

i dont use recycler module at all so no helpful imput ftom me sorry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think a lot of people these days care one way or the other. You should do it for your own pleasure. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:31 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

seeker wrote:
i dont use recycler module at all so no helpful imput ftom me sorry

Yeah, I suspect you're far from alone there seeker. Thanks anyway. :)
winstep wrote:
I don't think a lot of people these days care one way or the other. You should do it for your own pleasure. :)

Yep, given that all the more recent themes don't provide one, I suspected as much too, Jorge. And yep, if I do any of the others, it'll be either to complete a new theme or/and for my own fun. :)

I was, at some point, going to ask if there was any chance of getting a second, 'empty recycler' animation, but the way things are I wouldn't dream of it - not worth the effort. Besides, there are ways of doing it, sort of, the 'sneaky' way. For instance, the old NeXT Black Hole recycler appears animated when emptying it due to a particular difference between the 'full' and 'empty' icons - a very clever design and in a way I always regretted that NeXT dropped it in favour of the now all too familiar green recycler. Anyway, that is one technique, if you like, to achieve 'empty' animation without an actual animation. ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:48 am 

I use an animated recycler module. If you make one, I'll definitely check it out. I love using it. It even makes a sound when it's emptied.

The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't work if CCleaner is used. I have to empty it first, then use CCleaner because if I don't empty it manually first, the lid on the trashcan will stay open even though there is no longer anything in it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:39 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
I use an animated recycler module. If you make one, I'll definitely check it out. I love using it. It even makes a sound when it's emptied.

The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't work if CCleaner is used. I have to empty it first, then use CCleaner because if I don't empty it manually first, the lid on the trashcan will stay open even though there is no longer anything in it.

Wow! So a few of us still like animated recyclers then! :)

Well, there is one of my new ones previewed in the "New Trash" thread a bit lower down. But, it's big. Both the images - the desktop module is 256 pixels and 8 frames of animation (originally 20-odd!), and the files are big. And it's quirky - the name of the theme should say it all to anybody with some knowledge of 20th C. art, 'The Dada Nuke. (It's part of an over-all Xtreme theme in development along the same lines, really a political commentary on our times.) It also comes with appropriate sound files.

I have also done several other animated recyclers. These are based on the old 'Black Hole' recycler that was part of the early NeXTSTEP OS, and they're part of full Winstep Xtreme themes. Some of those have a basic desktop size of 128 px.

I have another 3 recyclers as on-paper designs and cartoons that I might work on eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm 

I checked out the thread and searched the Themes page and could not find any of them. Please provide the link to where they are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:36 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
I checked out the thread and searched the Themes page and could not find any of them. Please provide the link to where they are.

The preview is here : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10807

:Edit: None of the recyclers and/or themes are currently available anywhere. Some may make it into Winstep's own theme repository once and if that comes to be. :/Edit:

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]