Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Upcoming price increase questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 pm 

With the price increase in a few days, how does that affect upgrades?

Also, is there any way I can renew my license early?

Last question, is there any way to upgrade a regular Ultimate license to a Home Network one?

Seems to me like I should just take advantage of the last 7 hours of the Ultimate sale and just buy a Network copy but then I've stacked multiple licenses on the same email, who knows what chaos that causes...

Also, suggestion for the future.... would be cool if upgrades could be bought in multiples... i.e. (upgrade cost * years of additional upgrades). Cap it so it doesn't get crazy, like "up to 5 years" or something...

(If this helps at all, my Ultimate single license expires 12/1/2018 and my customer number is 2640050)

Last edited by szalkerous on Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Upcoming price increase questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:43 pm 

I realized that I probably wouldn't get an answer before the sale ends, so I just bought the Network license now. Invoice 42641616.

If there's any way to tack that onto the end of my existing license that would be cool...

EDIT: I emailed the support address with a link back here just in case.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

szalkerous wrote:
With the price increase in a few days, how does that affect upgrades?

They will increase a bit too, something like $5... Upgrade subscription renewals are normally half the price of the full retail price.

szalkerous wrote:
Also, is there any way I can renew my license early?

Nope. Thank God, because renewals are not cumulative.

szalkerous wrote:
Last question, is there any way to upgrade a regular Ultimate license to a Home Network one?

Yes, but not during promotions (i.e.; you would end up paying the normal price difference).

szalkerous wrote:
Also, suggestion for the future.... would be cool if upgrades could be bought in multiples... i.e. (upgrade cost * years of additional upgrades). Cap it so it doesn't get crazy, like "up to 5 years" or something...

No can do, even the software would reject those. Yearly renewals are best and safer for everyone involved: imagine if you brought 5 year of renewals and then, for whatever reason, no updates were released for the last 4 years. You would be pissed for having wasted your money, and rightly so.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

szalkerous wrote:
If there's any way to tack that onto the end of my existing license that would be cool...

There's no way, the renewal date is embedded in the key itself (which is why renewals are not cumulative). You will have to remind me when your current upgrade subscription ends so I can send you a new Home Network license key.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:55 pm 

winstep wrote:
szalkerous wrote:

No can do, even the software would reject those. Yearly renewals are best and safer for everyone involved: imagine if you brought 5 year of renewals and then, for whatever reason, no updates were released for the last 4 years. You would be pissed for having wasted your money, and rightly so.

I'd say that's the risk of buying it upfront, with the benefit being if prices increase you got in while it was good. I think that would balance it all out.

I don't know anything about the licensing mechanism behind the Winstep products, but I know (having to write licensing code for my corporate products) that it certainly isn't impossible or uncommon to just fulfill a new license with a different expiration date... I'd think this is no different than a regular 1-year renewal, but again--I am speculating and I fully accept that. All the same I think it would be a nice option.

winstep wrote:
szalkerous wrote:

There's no way, the renewal date is embedded in the key itself (which is why renewals are not cumulative). You will have to remind me when your current upgrade subscription ends so I can send you a new Home Network license key.

That's in the realm of what I was hoping for. I'll let you know. Thank you for being flexible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

szalkerous wrote:
I'd say that's the risk of buying it upfront, with the benefit being if prices increase you got in while it was good.

YOU might think of it that way, but I can guarantee many others would not. :)

The current yearly renewals method is the one that offers the most protection for both me and the users. As it is, users are never paying upfront - when they do pay, they are already getting something for their money.

This is particularly important because Winstep is in no way, shape or form obligated to churn out new versions every <x> months. When you buy a Winstep application for the first time, that particular version is what you are paying for, and not for any (possible) future upgrades. You get what you paid for and like this the one year of free upgrades can be seen for what it really is: a bonus.

On the other side of the coin, if I don't provide new upgrades regularly, people will not renew their upgrade subscriptions when they run out either, because they will have no incentive to do so.

The current yearly renewal method is therefore fair and win-win for everyone.

szalkerous wrote:
I don't know anything about the licensing mechanism behind the Winstep products, but I know (having to write licensing code for my corporate products) that it certainly isn't impossible or uncommon to just fulfill a new license with a different expiration date...

No, it's not impossible at all. But another of the reasons I don't allow this is to prevent abuses of the license mechanism, which is why I said the software would not accept it either.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:22 pm 

My previous license just ended on Dec 1, so I am assuming I should be putting in an email to support for the new license. I'll link this thread in the email.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:46 pm 

It's been a week and I haven't heard any response. Should I be emailing support@winstep.com or a different address?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ooops, sorry. :oops:

Check your email.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:49 pm 

Got it, thank you so much!! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 10 posts ]