Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks. Being a heavy smoker doesn't make it any better either lol

Lots of balls to juggle at this time - rant about it, for those who enjoy listening to a grown man cry, in the Beta section of the forums. :)

All going well, official release should come the day after CyberMonday.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:32 pm 

Just bumping my question about presets.
No one interested in this? :( Especially for multi-monitor setups?
I have duplicated everything for the second screen. It's three elements - a regular dock at the bottom, a system tray dock at the right and a shelf at the top.
I need everything on both screens because the two monitors represent two working places with two seperate seats. One place is for making music with all the musical devices around it. To look at the other screen is literally painful because it's behind my shoulder. It's meant as two entirely seperate working places but with easy access to everything from both places.
So, when activating the second monitor, I have to do the following procedure every time:
1. Open Winstep settings.
2. Clicking on "Docks & Shelves".
3. Activating lower dock duplicate.
(the last monitor isn't saved (this feature needs to be added first) and you can't change the monitor before activating it. So you first have to activate it (it appears up on top of the other dock/shelf) and then you can change the monitor)
4. Doing the same for the right dock and the shelf.
(the scrolling inside this menu also is kinda choppy what doesn't make things easier, and you also can't change the order to have all duplicates below each other to quickly enable all three of them)
5. close settings

This all could be done by one or two clicks.
I can think of various ways to implement this.

-A preset function inside the settings. There could be various ways how to load the presets.
1. A "load preset" sub-menu inside the right-click menu.
2. Assigning hotkeys to load presets.
3. A "create desktop shortcut" function to load the presets from the desktop or from inside a dock or shelf.

-Or for a quick solution you could just make the winstep backup files (.wbk) runnable. (like a project file for example - double clicking it directly loads it)
So you could make a backup for each monitor setting a quickly change between them by just running the backup files.

And maybe, just maybe eventually a nice intelligent mirroring feature.
So that for any dock or shelf there is an option to mirror it to the selected monitors, and if the monitors aren't active, the mirrorings will be automatically disabled.
This would also save you from having to update the duplicates when changing something, since the mirrored docks/shelves have the same content as the actual dock/shelf.
I can imagine that this isn't quite easy to implement, so it's just wishful thinking. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:

Did you read my post about implementing automatic multi-monitor profiles on the latest beta?

If you don't delete the duplicate docks and instead disable them when in single monitor mode, you will basically get what you want (they will be enabled the next time you switch to dual monitor mode, and automatically disabled when you switch back to single monitor mode).

You must still manually synch the content of the duplicate docks, of course.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
Definitely solved. Just waiting for Reserved Space fix. :D

Ok, hold on, I read this comment and the other but what you actually meant did not sink in until now.

You are also using NextSTART to manually reserve screen areas?!

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:55 pm 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Definitely solved. Just waiting for Reserved Space fix. :D

Ok, hold on, I read this comment and the other but what you actually meant did not sink in until now.

You are also using NextSTART to manually reserve screen areas?!

Yes! I use the reserved area for Rainmeter/Rainlendar.

Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:

Sigh. You guys really want to overwork me to death lol

Can you please explain what the single and dual monitor reserved space configurations are, what is happening now and what should happen?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:21 pm 

winstep wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Sigh. You guys really want to overwork me to death lol

Can you please explain what the single and dual monitor reserved space configurations are, what is happening now and what should happen?

8)

NextStart does NOT remember reserved space settings for a second monitor. Period. Now for the complicated part:

I use my laptop with a much larger monitor, making the external monitor the primary (#1) monitor. I set the reserve space settings for the laptop (#2 monitor), where I use the space for other programs. When I disconnect the external monitor, the laptop becomes the #1 monitor, losing the reserved space settings originally established for monitor #2 (the laptop while connected to the external monitor) as there is no longer a monitor #2 connected.

To combat this, I set reserve space settings for both monitors, even though I don't need it on the external monitor (#1). That only works while the external monitor is connected and, whenever I travel then disconnected (NextStart remembers monitor #1 settings and applies them to laptop after external monitor disconnect.

Here's the rub: reconnect the external monitor, and the reserve space settings are now applied to the external monitor (#1), but not the laptop (#2). I then have to reestablish reserve space settings for the laptop, where I actually need to keep it.

Clear as mud, right?! :lol:

Chuck

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:57 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

Did you read my post about implementing automatic multi-monitor profiles on the latest beta?

If you don't delete the duplicate docks and instead disable them when in single monitor mode, you will basically get what you want (they will be enabled the next time you switch to dual monitor mode, and automatically disabled when you switch back to single monitor mode).

You must still manually synch the content of the duplicate docks, of course.

Didn't see that post. I was watching the thread for a few pages after my first question but I've lost track of it eventually.
I've never deleted the duplicates, I've enabled/disabled them. I've just tested it however and it doesn't work for me. I have beta versions enabled and I've just re-checked manually to be sure - it's the latest version.
The duplicates on the second screen get disabled when disabling the monitor - this part is working. But when re-activating the monitor, they don't re-activate with it.
And they still all reset themself to monitor 1 (last monitor is not remembered), so I have to activate them first and then set them to monitor 2. :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:
The duplicates on the second screen get disabled when disabling the monitor - this part is working. But when re-activating the monitor, they don't re-activate with it.

Ok, first open Preferences, go to the General tab and make sure that 'Disable multi-monitor profiles' is NOT checked.

Second, go to

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Profiles\

Does the folder exist? If so, how many files are inside it (there should be two) ?

Either post the contents of those files here, or send them over to Winstep support so I can look at them.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:25 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

Ok, first open Preferences, go to the General tab and make sure that 'Disable multi-monitor profiles' is NOT checked.

Second, go to

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Profiles\

Does the folder exist? If so, how many files are inside it (there should be two) ?

Either post the contents of those files here, or send them over to Winstep support so I can look at them.

The option is not checked. The folder exists and it contains four files.
I've attached them.

Attachments:
Profiles.rar [1.29 KiB]
Downloaded 793 times

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:28 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Thanks. Being a heavy smoker doesn't make it any better either lol

Lots of balls to juggle at this time - rant about it, for those who enjoy listening to a grown man cry, in the Beta section of the forums. :)

All going well, official release should come the day after CyberMonday.

LOL! Welcome to the club! So a few of us still have virtues then. ;) (Thought you might have joined the 'I've given up' pious brigade. ;) )

Aww, there, there, no need to cry - just rip a few new ****holes where/when necessary. :P

Ooh, so that would be soon then! :)

With all that, no wonder you haven't had time yet to look at my menu problem. No problem.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

toniostarcevic wrote:

Chuck wrote:
NextStart does NOT remember reserved space settings for a second monitor. Period.

Ok guys, I need you to test something and let me know ASAP, I am now running out of time:

Download the new beta of Winstep Xtreme from HERE, exit all running Winstep applications, unzip and run setup.

Toni, you need to see if the Shelves, etc, now become active when plugging in the second monitor *for the second time* (remember, the new profiles need to be saved first, so you need to set everything up in the single monitor system first, then go from one monitor to two, set everything up for two monitors, then back to single monitor to see if the single monitor config is applied correctly, then back to two monitors to see if the multi-mon config is applied correctly).

Chuck, likewise you will need to reset the NextSTART Reserved Areas at least once per each monitor configuration, then switch between them to see if they are now being remembered.

Whatever happens, please post your results here and ALSO the resulting monitor profile files (I've also added some info to them that will help me diagnose what can be wrong if something doesn't work right).

Again, time is of the essence.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:48 pm 

winstep wrote:
toniostarcevic wrote:

Chuck wrote:
NextStart does NOT remember reserved space settings for a second monitor. Period.

Ok guys, I need you to test something and let me know ASAP, I am now running out of time:

Download the new beta of Winstep Xtreme from HERE, exit all running Winstep applications, unzip and run setup.

Toni, you need to see if the Shelves, etc, now become active when plugging in the second monitor *for the second time* (remember, the new profiles need to be saved first, so you need to set everything up in the single monitor system first, then go from one monitor to two, set everything up for two monitors, then back to single monitor to see if the single monitor config is applied correctly, then back to two monitors to see if the multi-mon config is applied correctly).

Chuck, likewise you will need to reset the NextSTART Reserved Areas at least once per each monitor configuration, then switch between them to see if they are now being remembered.

Whatever happens, please post your results here and ALSO the resulting monitor profile files (I've also added some info to them that will help me diagnose what can be wrong if something doesn't work right).

Unfortunately, flying and can't reach laptop to work it any time soon.

Chuck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chuck wrote:
Unfortunately, flying and can't reach laptop to work it any time soon.

Fly, I wanna fly
Its been a long long time
Im waiting for you at night
Fly, I wanna fly
Its been a long long time
Im burning for you at night
High, I wanna get high
You know babe
Were gonna make it higher tonight

Lalalaal lala - Machiavel, for those who don't recognize the lyrics :)

Sigh. Have a nice flight. :)

Help Me, Obi-Wan Tony, you're my only hope now. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:55 pm 

winstep wrote:

Alright, it's working now - the duplicates enable and disable themself together with the second screen - but there is one problem though... Changing the primary monitor messes everything up.
And thanks to Microsoft, I'm forced to set the second monitor as the primary monitor. The reason is that my secondary workplace (the music workplace) has a touch screen... and touch input only works when setting the monitor as primary...

So when changing my monitor config as usually (with primary swap), it doesn't work. All docks & shelves move to one screen. The reason why I didn't notice it before changing the primary monitor, is because I don't do it manually - I have a program to manage monitor profiles.
I just came up with the idea that the primary monitor swap may be the problem, so I tested it without changing the primary monitor and then it worked.
I hope that there's a solution for this...

I've attached the updated profiles, which count six files meanwhile by the way.
I've zipped the files directly after the successful try with the duplicates. (without the primary change)

Attachments:
Profiles.rar [2.04 KiB]
Downloaded 738 times

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 45  Next