Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:55 pm 

winstep wrote:
You were warned before, Windy. Anything you delete from the Desktop tab in the Shelf will have the *same exact fate* as if you had deleted it from the Windows Desktop.

If those were actual folders and not shortcuts to drives, then the folders and their contents will have been deleted. And I shouldn't mention folders in the plural, because you can only delete one item at a time from the Shelf, so...

If they were shortcuts, only the shortcuts got deleted.

Anyway, you're the only one who can possibly know if anything was actually deleted. Open the Windows 'My Computer' folder and look for your external hard drives there, which is where they belong in the first place.

Also, when deleting stuff, unless your press the SHIFT key the files are normally moved to the Windows Recycle Bin, not permanently deleted. But after that Windows will dynamically manage what is inside the Recycle Bin, getting rid of older stuff as it needs more space.

But the key here is what I said in my previous post. I EXITED XTREME AND THERE ARE NO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES ON MY DESKTOP.

So why does it behave in that manner? It doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
But the key here is what I said in my previous post. I EXITED XTREME AND THERE ARE NO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES ON MY DESKTOP.

You mean they are still there in the Desktop tab of the Shelf? Screenshot please.

Also, right click on the tab header of the Desktop tab in the Shelf and select Tab Properties. What does it say under 'Tab Type:' ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:43 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Windy wrote:
winstep wrote:
You were warned before, Windy. Anything you delete from the Desktop tab in the Shelf will have the *same exact fate* as if you had deleted it from the Windows Desktop.

....Anyway, you're the only one who can possibly know if anything was actually deleted. Open the Windows 'My Computer' folder and look for your external hard drives there, which is where they belong in the first place.

Also, when deleting stuff, unless your press the SHIFT key the files are normally moved to the Windows Recycle Bin, not permanently deleted. But after that Windows will dynamically manage what is inside the Recycle Bin, getting rid of older stuff as it needs more space.

No, drives, external or otherwise, are not displayed on the desktop. They would be in the 'Computer'/'My Computer' (virtual) folder, and for some odd reason got copied/moved within the shelf to the Desktop tab. Shouldn't really happen, but for some odd reason it would seem it has.

The simplest solution would have been to simply get rid of any Desktop and My Computer tabs in your shelf, restart, then add new Desktop/My Comp. tabs. That might or rather should have cleared the matter up.

Out of curiosity I tried to replicate your problem here by adding a Desktop and Computer tab, but was unable to replicate - no drives in the Desktop tab.

There's a lesson for almost everybody here. *Think* before you delete anything, whether within Winstep Xtreme or outside. Things are easily deleted, but not so easily recovered once permanently deleted, let alone if you use any kind of secure delete software.

Yes, in theory anything can be recovered, but as almost always, the practice tends to look somewhat different. Even with a simple delete recovery, you end up with a bunch of files that no longer have their original file names and that can be a nightmare in itself. Any more complex recovery, like 'secure deleted' files that have been over-written a few dozen or so times and you better take it to the pros and that can cost you some serious notes, probably more than the matter is worth.

Deleting things by accident can happen to anybody. It certainly has happened to me occasionally over the years. So always make sure that they go to the recycle bin first, and that you've allocated generous amounts of space to the bin on all partitions/drives.

Tip (from long past bitter experience) - don't trust the 'move' operation, unless you are 100% sure that there is sufficient space in the destination! :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:48 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BTW Jorge, well said that in that 'dirty rat' post. I think that ought to be a 'sticky', really.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the moment the only thing I can think of is that he changed the *type* of his Desktop tab to 'Drives', but didn't change the name of the tab so it still said 'Desktop'.

Still doesn't make any sense though, there is no 'Delete' option in the right click menu of items in a Drives tab.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:05 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
For the moment the only thing I can think of is that he changed the *type* of his Desktop tab to 'Drives', but didn't change the name of the tab so it still said 'Desktop'.

Still doesn't make any sense though, there is no 'Delete' option in the right click menu of items in a Drives tab.

Yeah, sounds much more plausible actually. Never seen anything like that. And certainly couldn't reproduce it here no matter what I tried. And the delete thing - really doesn't make the slightest bit of sense as you say.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:29 pm 

Okay, this is really weird. I unplugged one of my external hard drives and it removed it from the Shelf.

I plugged it back in and the drive showed up again in the Shelf! :shock:

What does this mean? That doesn't behave like the proper function of the Desktop tab.

BTW, I just checked and the Shelf name is Main, the Label is Desktop, and the Type is Desktop.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Screenshot please.

Also, use the Capture Desktop delayed screenshot ability to take another screenshot of the right click context menu that pops up when you right click the drive.

Likewise, use the same ability to take a screenshot of the Tab Properties dialog (right click the tab header and select 'Tab Properties').

Or, if you don't want to use the Capture Desktop internal command, just press PRTSCR, open MS Paint and paste the screenshot into it.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:21 pm 

I hope I completely understood your instructions.

BTW, I've never used Capture Desktop internal command. How do I do that? I've always used a third-party program for screen capture.

Attachment:
Winstep Xtreme Top Shelf-Descending.jpg
Winstep Xtreme Top Shelf-Descending.jpg [ 690.83 KiB | Viewed 12228 times ]

Attachment:
Winstep Top WorkShelf-External Drive Context Menu.jpg
Winstep Top WorkShelf-External Drive Context Menu.jpg [ 164.18 KiB | Viewed 12228 times ]

Attachment:
Winstep Top WorkShelf-External Drive Tab Properties.jpg
Winstep Top WorkShelf-External Drive Tab Properties.jpg [ 119.54 KiB | Viewed 12228 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What in the name of...?!

Ok, one more screenshot please, showing all the icons in your *Windows* desktop (i.e.; make them visible and take a full screen screenshot so we can see all of them).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think your Windows is confused lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:57 pm 

winstep wrote:

Jorge, I don't normally use The Shelf feature but decided I would take a look to see what all this commotion is about.

1. The Desktop Tab that Windy is showing is the same as the Desktop Grid when attached to a Dock. see attached comparison - Windy's Shelf & my dock
2. I opened a shelf and I am also showing the same type of Desktop view that Windy is showing.

Not sure whether this helps or just muddies the water even more!

Windows 10 Home version 1809

Attachments:
compare.JPG
compare.JPG [ 169.02 KiB | Viewed 12222 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

techman wrote:
Windows 10 Home version 1809

Wanna bet?

Still running 1803 on my VMs, which could explain why I am not seeing this.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:14 am 

Hmmmmmmm, my Windows version is 1803.

10.0.17134 Build 17134

Techman, how did you get that version? I thought I had the latest version.

Attachment:
Winstep-Desktop-External Hard Issue.jpg
Winstep-Desktop-External Hard Issue.jpg [ 771.09 KiB | Viewed 12214 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 am 

Windy wrote:
Hmmmmmmm, my Windows version is 1803.

10.0.17134 Build 17134

Techman, how did you get that version? I thought I had the latest version.

Windy, this is the version that MS pulled shortly after release because of files being deleted. I d/l direct before it was pushed to my PC and decided not to roll back and await for the corrected version. MS started rolling out the update to the update last week or early this week.

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 45  Next