Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:06 am 

winstep wrote:
Also, how's the performance of the cached Grid Stacks now (and the fact that the whole thing doesn't freeze for a moment anymore)?

Hmm you got problems with with your cached GS they are slow for network connections, as before, not only that but caught on camera there is a bug in it your losing icons.

Also the "?" Icons for power options is still not fixed.

Video to follow shortly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:27 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Bummer, I just ran up the 'old' beta earlier, and now there's a new one already! :)

Anyway, first impressions - GS seem great, and they'll serve perfectly in lieu of that 'Boxes' idea I mentioned some time ago. In fact, they really are much the same thing, just they're outside the shelf and much more versatile of course. But if they were detachable that would be even better. Brill, Jorge!

Will get new beta in a bit, can't sleep.

Well, seems that I already caught the latest beta! All seems fine so far here. Test driving a folder and a regular GS.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:29 am 

oOSGearOo wrote:

Video to follow shortly.

At the end of the video why al the options permanently grayed out?
Also when creating a stack also grayed out if we are not allowed to use them then begone with them.

GS Stutter this happens very occasionally and not always in the same way.

Last edited by oOSGearOo on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:52 am 

Quote:
Also, how's the performance of the cached Grid Stacks now (and the fact that the whole thing doesn't freeze for a moment anymore)?

I noticed that. Now stacks open at once when I click them after the dock is loaded.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
At the end of the video why al the options permanently grayed out?

You cannot set the path of a folder type Grid Stack from the item properties dialog, you must do it either via the right click 'Change Folder' or via the Grid Stack's Property dialog.

I thought it was nice to show the actual path in the Item Properties dialog, but since it seems to be confusing I will just remove showing it.

oOSGearOo wrote:
GS Stutter this happens very occasionally and not always in the same way.

I already told you that Winstep applications should NOT be used with Networked items, and I already explained why too: the Winstep application is single threaded and Windows takes a very long time to retrieve information from the network.

If you insist on using the Winstep application with items on the Network, then you have to be prepared to live with those temporary freezes. This is not a bug, just the way it is.

Even when you open Explorer's Network Neighborhood window for the first time, you see it being populated very very slowly, item by item. The only reason that Explorer window doesn't also freeze/stutter is because Explorer is multi-threaded.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:24 am 

winstep wrote:
If you insist on using the Winstep application with items on the Network

Its a part of the program Jorge If its a problem then remove the "network connections" option hehehe :lol:

If its available I will test it. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
Its a part of the program Jorge If its a problem then remove the "network connections" option hehehe :lol:

The option is available, it just comes with a caveat.

The only thing I'm complaining is that you are looking at this as a bug and it isn't. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:44 am 

oOSGearOo wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:

Initially your GS displays the icon's correctly, as shown in another video they go to different places. Then on refresh, 'I dont know if its because they are named the same'!, you go and icon them the same, again no biggie the destination still works.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:38 am 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
sacco_belmonte wrote:
I don't know if this is windows related or Winstep related but switching between different setting tabs is very slow. The window takes like 3s to switch and generally feels "heavy".

Anyone else?

same here

So, guys, you say something like that and offer no more details? Now I'm worried!

Is this specific to this beta or was it already like that? What version of Windows are both of you running? Is the UI slide animation enabled?

now its behaving normally (left my laptop running overnight as usual). it was specific to beta, no animations , win 7,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
Initially your GS displays the icon's correctly, as shown in another video they go to different places. Then on refresh, 'I dont know if its because they are named the same'!, you go and icon them the same, again no biggie the destination still works.

Gotcha, thanks. I know why that happens.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:10 am 

Jorge, I know I keep asking you to change this. I was hoping you changed it back to how it used to be with this latest WorkShelf update 18.11.1357. I'm going to show you why this is a serious issue for me that's been driving me nuts ever since you changed the:

winstep wrote:
...the relative position of icon rows on upside down shelves.

Anyway, the answer is 'I don't know yet'. Once (if) I add it, I will say so here.

This Shelf is docked to the right side of the screen. Look at the order of the folders/icons. I've highlighted in red how they're out of a coherent order. It's like this throughout the whole thing, of which, I have over 250 folders.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
I've highlighted in red how they're out of a coherent order.

Right click on the tab header, select Tab Properties and post a screenshot of the dialog that pops up, please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:46 pm 

Here is the properties dialog for the docked right side WorkShelf tab.
Attachment:
Winstep Tab Header.png
Winstep Tab Header.png [ 18.73 KiB | Viewed 13445 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tabs of type Regular have no Sort Order (notice how Sort By is disabled in that dialog).

The items/icons in them are re-arranged manually via drag & drop.

This has NOTHING to do with whatever you were thinking it did, and I have a feeling you are again not using the Shelf as it should.

All those folders you dragged and dropped into that Shelf tab, aren't they all inside the same single folder? That is, don't you have a folder somewhere in your hard drive called 'MP3' (or whatever) that has *all* those folders inside of it?

EDIT: Nevermind. Those are not MP3 lol

Bottom line: Items in Regular tabs have to be sorted by hand, item by item. They are not intended for what you are using them here.

You would be much better off dragging all those folders into a single folder in your hard drive (say, Movies) and then creating a single tabbed Shelf with a tab of type Folder pointing at the Movies folder.

Then you would be able to automatically sort by name, date, etc...

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:49 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
....Just a quickie little question while I'm here Jorge. To get the double (sep. bitmaps) Net In and Net Out module to work, do I just provide the separate bitmaps and configure as for the twin (combined bitmap as in my new 'Productivity' theme) except of course with the relevant coordinates, or do I need to add anything else in the config? Asking as a theme I'm working on in parallel is meant to use this. MTIA.

Well, tried that, but just got the iconified version so obviously it needs some additional line in the config. Alas, can't see anything that remotely hints at a setting for this. Sorry to bother you Jorge, but desperate for help with this.

GridStacks working just fine with no problems whatsoever so far. Going to create a few additional ones of all the various types just to test. Would normally only use regular and possibly folder types.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 45  Next