Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
To get the double (sep. bitmaps) Net In and Net Out module to work, do I just provide the separate bitmaps and configure as for the twin (combined bitmap as in my new 'Productivity' theme) except of course with the relevant coordinates, or do I need to add anything else in the config?

The 'double bitmaps' are ONLY use for the iconic version of the Net Meter desktop module (i.e.; when the desktop module has no theme or has been captured into the NextSTART taskbar). At all other times it uses a single background bitmap just like all the other modules.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
To get the double (sep. bitmaps) Net In and Net Out module to work, do I just provide the separate bitmaps and configure as for the twin (combined bitmap as in my new 'Productivity' theme) except of course with the relevant coordinates, or do I need to add anything else in the config?

The 'double bitmaps' are ONLY use for the iconic version of the Net Meter desktop module (i.e.; when the desktop module has no theme or has been captured into the NextSTART taskbar). At all other times it uses a single background bitmap just like all the other modules.

Argh, bummer! It's that old 9.5 manual, the bitmaps section referring to NetIn.*, NetInb.*, NetInh.* etc. and the same for NetOut. So I suppose it was originally intended to work like that but presumably couldn't be done and needed multiple module support?

Ah well, single bitmap it'll have to be then. Can always make it look like separate ones by using a transparent section in between the two images. :)

Problem solved, thanks Jorge.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Argh, bummer! It's that old 9.5 manual, the bitmaps section referring to NetIn.*, NetInb.*, NetInh.* etc. and the same for NetOut. So I suppose it was originally intended to work like that but presumably couldn't be done and needed multiple module support?

No. The NetIn.*, NetInb.*, NetInh.* etc. and the same for NetOut, etc, bitmaps go INSIDE the WsNet bitmap, but NOT as a background, IIRC. For instance, if you have a filled histogram, it's the 'fill' that uses wsNethIn. This way you could use a bitmap texture for the *filled* part of an histogram.

You could either use a single bitmap for both In and Out, or you could specify separate bitmaps for the In and the Out. In either case, those are for the stuff that gets overlayed on top of the main background.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:26 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

No. The NetIn.*, NetInb.*, NetInh.* etc. and the same for NetOut, etc, bitmaps go INSIDE the WsNet bitmap, but NOT as a background, IIRC. For instance, if you have a filled histogram, it's the 'fill' that uses wsNethIn. This way you could use a bitmap texture for the *filled* part of an histogram.

You could either use a single bitmap for both In and Out, or you could specify separate bitmaps for the In and the Out. In either case, those are for the stuff that gets overlayed on top of the main background.

Ah, with you. Now it all makes sense. Complicated, but offering interesting possibilities. Thanks for that explanation Jorge.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:43 pm 

Everything has been working smoothly over here. I noticed grid stacks also open in a better way, previously the whole window tended to shift sideways more noticeably.

Small request:

Can the grid stacks allow for more space before it shows the scroll arrows? Currently in one of my stacks if I leave it at the default icon size I see the arrows and the stack is not really taking more than 1/3 of the screen.

Resizing the icons helps but I still think the stacks can have more space. The stack I mentioned has 84 icons at 42pix and display the scroll arrows just for one extra icon at the bottom. Having the icons at 39pix solved it but seems I would need to do so every so often as I add icons.

Just saying, if its too problematic then nevermind.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
Can the grid stacks allow for more space before it shows the scroll arrows? Currently in one of my stacks if I leave it at the default icon size I see the arrows and the stack is not really taking more than 1/3 of the screen.

Actually the maximum size is 2/3 of your total screen real estate (i.e.; maximum width is 2/3 of your screen width, maximum height is 2/3 of your screen height).

But the story doesn't end there and that is just the maximum theoretical size - in practice maximum size depends on the space available below or above where the grid is going to pop up (and it takes into consideration reserved screen areas so the Grid does not/should not overlap your Windows taskbar, for instance).

I want to keep the maximum size of the Grid in check mainly for performance reasons - on a 4K screen, for instance, 2/3 of the screen is a hell of a lot of pixels to move when scrolling or shifting icons to make room for icons about to be dropped, etc...

sacco_belmonte wrote:
Resizing the icons helps but I still think the stacks can have more space. The stack I mentioned has 84 icons at 42pix and display the scroll arrows just for one extra icon at the bottom. Having the icons at 39pix solved it but seems I would need to do so every so often as I add icons.

Reducing the icon size is not your only solution: you can also disable or reduce the size of icon reflections (I know you have them disabled already) and/or tighten the vertical and horizontal icon spacings.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:02 pm 

winstep wrote:
Tabs of type Regular have no Sort Order (notice how Sort By is disabled in that dialog).

The items/icons in them are re-arranged manually via drag & drop.

This has NOTHING to do with whatever you were thinking it did, and I have a feeling you are again not using the Shelf as it should.

All those folders you dragged and dropped into that Shelf tab, aren't they all inside the same single folder? That is, don't you have a folder somewhere in your hard drive called 'MP3' (or whatever) that has *all* those folders inside of it?

EDIT: Nevermind. Those are not MP3 lol

Bottom line: Items in Regular tabs have to be sorted by hand, item by item. They are not intended for what you are using them here.

You would be much better off dragging all those folders into a single folder in your hard drive (say, Movies) and then creating a single tabbed Shelf with a tab of type Folder pointing at the Movies folder.

Then you would be able to automatically sort by name, date, etc...

Hmmmmm, they are in a folder. However, they are in a sub-subfolder. Does that matter? They are in Pictures/folder name/folder name of the location where all those folders are.

I figured that if I change the Shelf to Folder even though it warns that it will remove the content, it's a shortcut. I could just go to the folder that all those folders are in and redrop them instead of deleting and then creating a new Shelf.

I thought the Shelf would be blank, but ended up with what is in the screenshot. Is is okay to delete the stuff in there, or should I just delete the Shelf and create a new one? And why is that stuff left in there?

Attachment:
WorkShelf Icon Order Issue DELETE.png
WorkShelf Icon Order Issue DELETE.png [ 870.97 KiB | Viewed 14363 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:13 pm 

Quote:
Reducing the icon size is not your only solution: you can also disable or reduce the size of icon reflections (I know you have them disabled already) and/or tighten the vertical and horizontal icon spacings.

Ah! that's it, thank you. It seems I still can reduce the horizontal/vertical spacing. :)

EDIT: I did...aahh this program rocks man! :D

Last edited by sacco_belmonte on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
I figured that if I change the Shelf to Folder even though it warns that it will remove the content, it's a shortcut. I could just go to the folder that all those folders are in and redrop them instead of deleting and then creating a new Shelf.

I thought the Shelf would be blank, but ended up with what is in the screenshot. Is is okay to delete the stuff in there, or should I just delete the Shelf and create a new one? And why is that stuff left in there?

JESUS CHRIST, DON'T DELETE ANYTHING THERE! THOSE ARE REAL FILES.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy, before you do something stupid you can't recover from, please read THIS QUICK TUTORIAL I wrote at Wincustomize. Hopefully it will allow you to understand what you were just about to do.

You've been using Winstep Xtreme for a long time, you really should know this by now.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:08 pm 

Now that we have multiple Shelves and all the other new features, I think user profiles for different setups became more important then ever.
For example one profile for each multi-monitor setting.
Or alternatively - I already mentioned this some time ago - runnable backup files. (.wbk)
They already have an icon, there's just an action missing. It should load the backup when double clicking on it.
This should be easy to implement I think?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:45 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

JESUS CHRIST, DON'T DELETE ANYTHING THERE! THOSE ARE REAL FILES.

That's strange. How can it delete something that isn't there? My understanding is that once I went ahead and agreed to change the Shelf from Regular to Folder and it removed the folders I dropped, it can't remove what isn't there. The files were deleted in Regular mode, not Folder mode. The worst that could happen if I deleted those Winstep files in the screenshot is that it would corrupt only that particular Shelf, and if so, I would just delete the Shelf.

winstep wrote:
Windy, before you do something stupid you can't recover from, please read THIS QUICK TUTORIAL I wrote at Wincustomize. Hopefully it will allow you to understand what you were just about to do.

You've been using Winstep Xtreme for a long time, you really should know this by now.

Remember, using the Shelf in this way is new to me and I don't go to Wincustomize. The only time I went there is around the time I first installed Xtreme! :lol: I may have gone there a few times since then and poked around for a minute or two.

Actually, I'm glad this happened. Suppose it didn't happen because I somehow figured out to change it to Folder and browse for/point to the folder instead of trying to drag and drop.
Then, later on down the road, I probably would have thought that I could delete a folder from that Shelf and I would only be removing a shortcut/virtual folder, NOT THE ACTUAL FOLDER/S! :shock:

I was under the impression that everything in Winstep is a shortcut/virtual file.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
That's strange. How can it delete something that isn't there?

Would the Shelf show you something that isn't there?

Windy wrote:
My understanding is that once I went ahead and agreed to change the Shelf from Regular to Folder and it removed the folders I dropped, it can't remove what isn't there. The files were deleted in Regular mode, not Folder mode. The worst that could happen if I deleted those Winstep files in the screenshot is that it would corrupt only that particular Shelf, and if so, I would just delete the Shelf.

When you changed the type from Regular to Folder, it deleted the virtual shortcuts in the Regular tab as it warn you it would.

HOWEVER: when you change the tab type to Folder, it WILL THEN BE POINTING TO A FOLDER in your hard drive. If you don't define the folder, it will either be C:\ or the current system directory.

Windy wrote:
Remember, using the Shelf in this way is new to me and I don't go to Wincustomize.

The Shelf is a fundamental part of Nexus Ultimate and Winstep Xtreme.

Windy wrote:
I was under the impression that everything in Winstep is a shortcut/virtual file.

Not everything, obviously. Everything in Regular tab types and in docks is, but everything else isn't.

This is the difference between a toy gun and a real gun: the real gun is much more powerful, but you have to know how to handle it lest you shoot yourself in the foot - or worse.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:07 am 

I'm sure I'm not the only one something like this has happened to and certainly won't be the last. Fortunately I didn't lose any files.

I have a suggestion. To avoid someone ending up losing their files, make it so they cannot change to Folder with a notification stating such letting them know that they have to delete the Shelf, create a new one, and ANYTHING put in there (Folder setting) will delete the ACTUAL FILE, not a shortcut/virtual file on their PC if they delete it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Added 'Ascending' and 'Descending' options to the Sort By setting of Shelf tabs. The lack of those was getting on my nerves.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 45  Next