Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:15 am 

Here's a screen capture of my whole portrait screen so you have a better idea of how much space is there left.

Here is Rocketdock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:41 am 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
same thing

Less bad, means it's not a problem specific to Grid Stacks.

I do suspect it has to do with the filename having foreign (non-ANSI) characters though. Winstep applications are ANSI and not Unicode - could you check my theory with the other icons also showing up as a question mark, please?

And what happens if you rename the file so it has no foreign characters in the filename? Does it now properly display the icon?

you are right, with ANSI characters it displays the icon right

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
Here's a screen capture of my whole portrait screen so you have a better idea of how much space is there left.

Ok, a few observations:

I had noticed by watching videos of MacOSX stacks that the width vs height ratio of stacks was never square, but rectangular - while the RocketDock stacks tend to be square. From what I saw the ratio appeared to be something like 1.6, so a stack would be, say, 8 icons across by 5 icon rows tall (8 icons horizontal / 1.6 ratio = 5 icon rows vertical).

After watching your videos above it occurred to me that this would be the wrong thing to do on a portrait monitor because there is more space available vertically than horizontally, which led me to think that the ratio should not be fixed to 1.6 either, but rather the actual width vs height ratio of the monitor (which would automatically solve the monitor in portrait mode issue too).

So I changed the sizing algorithm again, and although I still give preference to wider rather than higher where possible, I now use the ratio that allows more icons to be shown at once.

These algorithms may appear simple at first sight but they are actually not.

I also changed the open animation so that it still appears to come from the icon EVEN if it's not possible to center the Grid Stack in the icon.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:44 am 

Quote:
I had noticed by watching videos of MacOSX

I think the goal is to have a nice functional Dock.

Don't you agree we should not care about how MacOSX looks? :) Or is it that some people specifically ask for that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
you are right, with ANSI characters it displays the icon right

Sigh. I hate this type of problems. Why oh why did MS abandon classic VB before adding Unicode support?! :twisted:

Anyway, I tried to reproduce the problem here using 'special' Portuguese characters but was unable to because all of them seem to be part of the standard ANSI character set.

If you go to the Windows Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Administrative, what is your 'current language for non-Unicode programs' set to?

Also, since you are using Windows 10: if you click on the 'Change System Locale' button, is the 'Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8...' setting enabled (I know that can create issues with Winstep applications)?

ALSO: can you still open the document by clicking on it in the Desktop tab or Stack despite it not displaying the correct icon?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
I think the goal is to have a nice functional Dock.

Don't you agree we should not care about how MacOSX looks? :) Or is it that some people specifically ask for that?

Believe it or not, this is about function: Apple does not normally do stuff by accident.

Think about it: the grid is centered on the icon (which is where the mouse pointer also is), therefore the distance the mouse pointer needs to travel *horizontally* in either direction to reach ANY icon in the grid stack is HALVED (you are starting in the middle of the grid), while vertically it is not (you are starting at the bottom or top of the grid).

See?

In fact, for this same reason I should actually make Grid Stacks more tall than wider when opening them from a vertical dock, for instance.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:

I already fixed all that here, as I said, but to add something else that can help: remember you can disable icon reflections, reduce icon size and even change the vertical and horizontal spacing between icons.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:58 am 

winstep wrote:
Well, the problem with the size of the Tools and Windows grid stacks had to do with that centering problem I mentioned above, which also caused the grid to appear on the other monitor. Fixed here.

Still, a stack won't pop up larger than 2/3 of your screen, for performance reasons (although computers with bigger displays also tend to have better CPUs).

If there is room on the screen, you can still resize the stack vertically by dragging or double clicking the tab header, or horizontally by dragging the edges, but it will not remember the changes once closed.

This is one of the things I was going to ask you about. Are you saying it's solely a performance issue and not impossible to do? If it's solely a performance issue, will it run normally with higher-end CPUs and monitors? If that's the case, warn the user about the possibility of performance issues. My setup runs 4k with no problem and has a solid state drive.

I was hoping that you made the single-tab Shelf with the option to work like the Grid Stack. For now as a workaround after a lot of trial and error, I dropped the Grid Stack into a single-tab WorkShelf docked on the side.

Just ran into another problem. Thinking you incorporated the Grid Stack features into a single-tab WorkShelf, I deleted the old ones.

However, the new ones are smaller. I wanted it to be the same size as the old one. I couldn't drag it to the size I want, so I changed the font in an attempt to make it larger.

I didn't like the way it looked, and decided to change it back. The font wouldn't change back to the default, so I had to delete it. Fortunately it didn't hold the "new" font.

How do I make the tab a bit larger? EDIT: NEVER MIND. I FOUND WHERE SCALING IS.

BTW, will the option for icons to be left to right from the top to bottom be in the next beta, or if there is no next beta, in the next release?

Last edited by Windy on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:08 pm 

winstep wrote:

If you go to the Windows Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Administrative, what is your 'current language for non-Unicode programs' set to?

Also, since you are using Windows 10: if you click on the 'Change System Locale' button, is the 'Beta: Use Unicode UTF-8...' setting enabled (I know that can create issues with Winstep applications)?

ALSO: can you still open the document by clicking on it in the Desktop tab or Stack despite it not displaying the correct icon?

a) English (uk)
b) im using win 7 not 10
c) no it wont open

http://prntscr.com/l9vdm3

it seems it converts č/ć to c which then results in incorrect path

Last edited by seeker on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
a) English (uk)

Well, change it to Serbian (?), then restart Xtreme and try again.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
a) English (uk)

Well, change it to Serbian (?), then restart Xtreme and try again.

croatian :) and it works right now

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:39 pm 

Quote:
I also changed the open animation so that it still appears to come from the icon EVEN if it's not possible to center the Grid Stack in the icon.

I don't care too much either way. :) Thanks for trying tho.

After you mentioned I can change spacing, icon size etc... I managed to find "Grid Stack Properties", thank you. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:12 pm 

Jorge,

Any thoughts on my previous email:

I have two dock items. The first is a Grid Stack and the second is a dock entry as a Folder that shows in a menu. If I click on the first (grid stack which opens fine) then click on the second (folder that shows as menu), the grid stack doesn't close (the menu list will overlap the grid stack). However, if I click on the second icon first and then click on the first icon, The menu of the second icon closes before the grid opens (which is what I would expect).

My expectation would be that the previous icon will close when a new icon is clicked.

I do know this is beta, but was curious if that was intended.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

adrianq wrote:
My expectation would be that the previous icon will close when a new icon is clicked.

And you would be right. Fixed, thanks. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
After you mentioned I can change spacing, icon size etc... I managed to find "Grid Stack Properties", thank you. :)

I changed what happens when you click on the left mini-tab of a Grid Stack so that it opens the properties dialog instead of Preferences. This actually prompted me to ask all you guys a question:

1. How do you guys normally open (or get to) WorkShelf Preferences?

2. How do you guys normally open NextSTART Preferences?

I'm asking because there are multiple ways to do this.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 45  Next