Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 pm 

That is weird! I did the drag and drop with one of the folders from the old playlist and it works ok. I have to figure out what is different. The one not working are also mp3, same bitrate and alll....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:54 pm 

No special chars in the names, I`ll check the ID3 tags....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Plot thickens. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
If you really want skinners to provide digital in-shelf clocks, then for pity's sake give them more freedom along the lines that I already suggested previously. The old standard digital in-shelf/-dock clock is not only way too limited in what you can do with it as a skinner, but also just totally dated.

I already explained why in-shelf/in-dock modules are not free-form. It has mainly to do with icons in the dock being too small to allow any form of meaningful free form skinnig at lower icon sizes, BUT it also has to do with performance.

For these two major reasons, skinning of in-shelf modules will always be limited. You can already go overboard with the desktop modules though.

As for the clock being dated, there is a relatively recent alternative digital clock mode that actually looks really good and modern.

nexter wrote:
What is especially needed is for the skinner to be able to specify the colour of the metering mods.'s histo. Hell, the user can still change it if they absolutely want to.

That is already possible, and has been for ages. The theme can specify both the background image as well as the color of the graphic in the in-shelf/in-dock histogram meters.

nexter wrote:
The same also applies to the running apps indicators for NeXus, which the ThemeBuilder alpha saves but then omits saving to the configuration.

Ok, I've added this. I couldn't in the past because when I first made the Theme Builder there was still no 'default' choice for running indicators, so there would be a conflict between what the user wanted and what the skinner wanted (and I know you hate that, but when this happens the user is king).

In the next release themes will be able to specify the running indicator image by including a 'NxIndicator.png/.tif/.ico' bitmap file in the theme folder. The theme will only use that indicator bitmap, however, if the user has left the running indicator selection as 'Default' instead of specifically choosing an indicator from the list of available indicator bitmaps.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:44 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I began working on adding the new Grid Stack.

Question: should Grid Stack icons in the main dock also show sub-dock indicators or just the general Grid Stack icon (a box with the Winstep logo)?

EDIT: At first I would be tempted to answer Yes myself, BUT: if the user enabled the option to attach sub-docks to existing application shortcuts, then a sub-dock can also be attached to a Grid Stack icon, at which point we would have a conflict and absolute confusion to what the indicator meant in that case).

So I guess sub-dock indicators must remain reserved for sub-docks and I will have to answer my own question with 'No'. lol

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:53 am 

winstep wrote:

Question: should Grid Stack icons in the main dock also show sub-dock indicators or just the general Grid Stack icon (a box with the Winstep logo)?

Keep it plain and simple, one thing personally if you put a logo on it I will want to remove the branding, and I expect others will to.

winstep wrote:
EDIT: At first I would be tempted to answer Yes myself, BUT: if the user enabled the option to attach sub-docks to existing application shortcuts, then a sub-dock can also be attached to a Grid Stack icon, at which point we would have a conflict and absolute confusion to what the indicator meant in that case).

So I guess sub-dock indicators must remain reserved for sub-docks and I will have to answer my own question with 'No'. lol

Subdocks on grids err he’s lost it peps. :lol: No I would settle for nothing more than a grid or stack of Icons, with if possible the container themed to the docks/... theme. Just like RD's stack/grid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
Keep it plain and simple, one thing personally if you put a logo on it I will want to remove the branding, and I expect others will to.

The default Grid Stack icon only shows if you don't change the icon. If you change the icon, it will show whatever icon you chose for it (just like it happens with sub-docks).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:25 pm 

something else you might want to check and implement in the next release is the ability to remove the item names showing on icons in the drawer like you can do with the docks. unless i keep missing the setting i still get the label on mouse-over. i have set drawer, appearance, no label assuming that would remove the labels, but no.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MrGrim wrote:
something else you might want to check and implement in the next release is the ability to remove the item names showing on icons in the drawer like you can do with the docks. unless i keep missing the setting i still get the label on mouse-over. i have set drawer, appearance, no label assuming that would remove the labels, but no.

Yes, if you set the number of lines to zero you still get the floating label. And true, your complain makes sense: if you can disable the floating label on the dock, you should also be able to on Shelves and Drawers. Point taken.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I've added a 'No Label' option to the number of text lines settings in Shelves and Drawers.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:24 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
If you really want skinners to provide digital in-shelf clocks, then for pity's sake give them more freedom along the lines that I already suggested previously. The old standard digital in-shelf/-dock clock is not only way too limited in what you can do with it as a skinner, but also just totally dated.

I already explained why in-shelf/in-dock modules are not free-form. It has mainly to do with icons in the dock being too small to allow any form of meaningful free form skinnig at lower icon sizes, BUT it also has to do with performance.

For these two major reasons, skinning of in-shelf modules will always be limited. You can already go overboard with the desktop modules though.

Yes, you did explain, and I still don't see why these restrictions should apply to certain modules and not to others. At icon sizes below 32, if not below 48, all modules look crap and don't really provide much if any useful information. Performance, yes, now that I can understand. But that could be remedied either with simple guidelines, or certain restrictions.

A good compromise for the digital in-shelf/-dock clock would be something like this:
skinnable background, with 2 or 3 lines of text - 1) Time, 2) Day (optional), 3) date, where the skinner sets font colour, and font if possible but if not a simple universal font like Arial or hooge (regular, and same font and size in all lines).
winstep wrote:
As for the clock being dated, there is a relatively recent alternative digital clock mode that actually looks really good and modern.

Where?? I don't see it here, all I see as the same old same old mixed digital/analogue appearance format, which really looks rather quaint.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
What is especially needed is for the skinner to be able to specify the colour of the metering mods.'s histo. Hell, the user can still change it if they absolutely want to.

That is already possible, and has been for ages. The theme can specify both the background image as well as the color of the graphic in the in-shelf/in-dock histogram meters.

Well, the histo colour certainly doesn't seem to get saved here. If I set it in one theme, it gets carried over to the next theme I change to, and so on, or just as often the colour even gets picked at random it would seem.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
The same also applies to the running apps indicators for NeXus, which the ThemeBuilder alpha saves but then omits saving to the configuration.

Ok, I've added this. I couldn't in the past because when I first made the Theme Builder there was still no 'default' choice for running indicators, so there would be a conflict between what the user wanted and what the skinner wanted (and I know you hate that, but when this happens the user is king).

In the next release themes will be able to specify the running indicator image by including a 'NxIndicator.png/.tif/.ico' bitmap file in the theme folder. The theme will only use that indicator bitmap, however, if the user has left the running indicator selection as 'Default' instead of specifically choosing an indicator from the list of available indicator bitmaps.

Good. :) I already have the NxIndicator.* file in all themes, as well as a named file for each theme.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:

And we have lift off!!!

Actually looking pretty good.

Dimensions are automatically calculated, there is a cool pop up and close animation towards the parent icon, and because the Grid Stack runs with the power of Shelves it can display anything the latter does. In this case, it is showing the contents of the Windows Control Panel:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:19 pm 

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:

And we have lift off!!!

Dimensions are automatically calculated, there is a cool pop up and close animation towards the parent icon, and because the Grid Stack runs with the power of Shelves it can display anything the latter does. In this case, it is showing the contents of the Windows Control Panel:

[img http://www.winstep.net/images/GridStack.jpg[/img]

Umm . . . that does NOT look like a theme builder. ;-) Okay, just kidding. Looking good Jorge.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:39 pm 

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:

And we have lift off!!!

Jorge, what exactly am I looking at? That doesn't look like something that is part of the Shelf, dock or Drawer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Jorge, what exactly am I looking at? That doesn't look like something that is part of the Shelf, dock or Drawer.

See that box icon with the Winstep logo on the dock? You click that icon and THAT pops out from it. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 45  Next