Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:13 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:
stack seems to stay open until you click somewhere on shelf again, by design or?

I never used the real thing, so I have no idea how it works on MacOSX.

This said, the stack staying open until you click somewhere else actually allows you to do some quick drag & drop (especially from other Shelves, docks, etc, as clicking on a different Shelf or dock will not close the Stack either) without having to go through the drag, hover, wait for it to open, etc, process...

well it stays open no matter where you click unless you click on the shelf or on the close button.
it stays open while i watch a tw show for example or use the browser. which is cool but im not sure if it should be default behavior

also there is some inconsistency with icons

http://prntscr.com/l9mq39
for one pdf file it displays the right icon, for the other it does not

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
well it stays open no matter where you click unless you click on the shelf or on the close button.

Eh? That shouldn't happen at all, and it certainly does not happen here. Anyone else seeing this?

seeker wrote:

Yeah, I also noticed some icon problems on sacco_belmonte's video.

What happens if you add the same tab type but this time to the Shelf? Same issue with the same icons?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 pm 

winstep wrote:
Any other observations?

Also, I added the two different default icons to the Icons\Samples\ folder, if any of you want to use the alternate icon just rename Grid-Stack.png to Grid-Stack-old.png (for instance) and Grid-Stack2.png to Grid-Stack.png.

I find that dragging and dropping into a Grid-Stack problematic (when dragging from Nexus-Dock into a Grid-Stack). I have made a G-S of browsers (I ve got three) but I can’t drag them in from Nexus into the G-S.
I found this one because Iam trying to get the animated Icon back for FFox and chrome(your G-S don’t seem to like the most excellent animated icons). AIcons for FFox … yours.

Xtreme beta in operation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:19 pm 

winstep wrote:
Eh? That shouldn't happen at all, and it certainly does not happen here. Anyone else
seeing this?

I don't have this problem, but I do have something I find odd. I have two dock items. The first is a Grid Stack and the second is a dock entry as a Folder that shows in a menu. If I click on the first (grid stack which opens fine) then click on the second (folder that shows as menu), the grid stack doesn't close (the menu list will overlap the grid stack). However, if I click on the second icon first and then click on the first icon, The menu of the second icon closes before the grid opens (which is what I would expect).

My expectation would be that the previous icon will close when a new icon is clicked.

I do know this is beta, but was curious if that was intended.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
I find that dragging and dropping into a Grid-Stack problematic (when dragging from Nexus-Dock into a Grid-Stack). I have made a G-S of browsers (I ve got three) but I can’t drag them in from Nexus into the G-S.

Sorry, you say it's problematic, but you don't explain exactly WHY it's problematic or what is happening.

Also, you can only drop items specific to the Winstep application (modules, internal commands, etc) into REGULAR Grid Stack types. Windows does not support them.

oOSGearOo wrote:
I found this one because Iam trying to get the animated Icon back for FFox and chrome(your G-S don’t seem to like the most excellent animated icons).

Animated icons are only supported on REGULAR Grid Stack types (and docks and Regular Shelf tabs and Regular Drawers), not on Grid Stacks of other types (such as the folder type you are probably using).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:47 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

Eh? That shouldn't happen at all, and it certainly does not happen here. Anyone else seeing this?

seeker wrote:

Yeah, I also noticed some icon problems on sacco_belmonte's video.

What happens if you add the same tab type but this time to the Shelf? Same issue with the same icons?

http://prntscr.com/l9nmal
same thing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:58 pm 

winstep wrote:
oOSGearOo wrote:
I find that dragging and dropping into a Grid-Stack problematic (when dragging from Nexus-Dock into a Grid-Stack)..

Sorry, you say it's problematic, but you don't explain exactly WHY it's problematic or what is happening.

Well I did explain it as I went along. Basically (your right) I am using folder type where folder = c:\stacks\webbrowsers\Firefox.shortcut

The oddity (now explained) is that in an effort to get the “Animated Icons” I was dragging them from the dock to the (folder)GS and they were not showing up in GS. I would drop a shortcut of firefox on nexus then change to animated icon and then drag an drop into GS.

As you explained windows does not know about them, pity but hey its only eye-candy. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
same thing

Less bad, means it's not a problem specific to Grid Stacks.

I do suspect it has to do with the filename having foreign (non-ANSI) characters though. Winstep applications are ANSI and not Unicode - could you check my theory with the other icons also showing up as a question mark, please?

And what happens if you rename the file so it has no foreign characters in the filename? Does it now properly display the icon?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
The last "Docs" (folder) entry seems the one having most trouble, only displaying two rows.

The first "Windows" entry opens in my other monitor.

Ok, both problems caused by the Grid attempting to center itself on the parent icon and the way it calculates available screen space. This becomes a problem if the icon is too close to one of the screen edges.

You're lucky the Windows one went to the other monitor, here I got a crash on the IDE because it was trying to create a window with negative size lol

Working on a fix right now. Need to find a balance between going either for centering or for Grid size.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, fixed it. Making size take precedence over centering fixes the issue.

Ok, one question: should the Grid Stack open automatically when you first create it via the context menu (i.e.; Insert New Item -> Grid Stack) ? It currently doesn't, but I think it probably should.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:

Figured it out, fixed, thanks! :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:33 am 

Don't know what happened. Whatever I did to get to that point, I clicked on Grid Stack, but when I attempted to try it out, it never appeared!

Now I can't find it anywhere. :? What exact steps do I take to access the Grid Stack?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy, not 'the' but 'a' Grid Stack. They're like sub-docks, you can add as many as you want.

Right click a dock -> Insert Item -> Grid Stack -> Select type of Grid Stack you want.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:35 am 

Quote:
That's the reason why this is a beta. :)

I know :) I deal with betas often.

I meant some of the the grid stacks didn't display all my icons.

If you ask me I would like all the icons displayed at once, no scrollbars involved. Just as RocketDock was in my first video in my other post.

- Adding a folder and converting it as grid was easy and worked 10 out of 10

- The animations are good. No problem at all...the right speed, everything is right on the way it looks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
If you ask me I would like all the icons displayed at once, no scrollbars involved. Just as RocketDock was in my first video in my other post.

Well, the problem with the size of the Tools and Windows grid stacks had to do with that centering problem I mentioned above, which also caused the grid to appear on the other monitor. Fixed here.

Still, a stack won't pop up larger than 2/3 of your screen, for performance reasons (although computers with bigger displays also tend to have better CPUs).

If there is room on the screen, you can still resize the stack vertically by dragging or double clicking the tab header, or horizontally by dragging the edges, but it will not remember the changes once closed.

sacco_belmonte wrote:
- Adding a folder and converting it as grid was easy and worked 10 out of 10

Handy, isn't it? Also just added a 'Browse' (in a menu) option to the context menu of icons of folder type Grid Stacks.

sacco_belmonte wrote:
- The animations are good. No problem at all...the right speed, everything is right on the way it looks.

Good about the speed. I did change the Easing used for the animation to linear, the Expo easing I was using in that beta wasn't, IMO, working so well because it starts very fast and only slows down at the very end.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 45  Next