Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I'm beginning to understand what is going on here, and it's a combination of several factors:

First, the Windows Desktop is not just a folder in your hard drive holding various shortcuts - it's a lot more than that, it's the root of the shell namespace (which is itself the hierarchy of physical - drives, etc... - and virtual folders - My Computer and Control Panel - in your system).

Second, with Windows 10 it seems Microsoft made the decision to add *removable drives* to the navigation pane (which is the real desktop, the root of the shell namespace and what appears in the Desktop tab of the Shelf).

I hadn't noticed because my development system is still Windows 7 and my Windows 10 VMs do not have removable drives, and neither does my physical Windows 10 system.

This explains why both Windy and you are seeing those drives in the Desktop tab - the key point here is that the only drives you see are drives that are removable, i.e.; precisely those that MS made the decision to add to the navigation pane in Windows 10.

So this at least explains what is happening there.

Unfortunately it seems that Microsoft - as usual - forgot that 3rd party applications can also navigate their shell namespace, and made a mess with their implementation... so much so that you can apparently delete the contents of those removable drives via a right click menu option. Here is the difference: if you open a 'Drives' tab in the Shelf and right click ANY of the drives there, you won't see a 'Delete' option anywhere. But those that appear in the Desktop tab apparently already have this option - which can lead to situations like Windy experienced.

Techman, what version of WorkShelf are you running on your system? You're not running the latest beta, or are you?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:02 pm 

winstep wrote:
Techman, what version of WorkShelf are you running on your system? You're not running the latest beta, or are you?

Attachment:
workshelf.JPG
workshelf.JPG [ 37.02 KiB | Viewed 14468 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, that's cute, you're using my Winstep UI theme.

You're probably the only one lol

Anyway, reason I asked is that file with strange characters in your previous Shelf screenshot. I thought I had prevented those from appearing already. Sigh.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:52 pm 

winstep wrote:
file with strange characters in your previous Shelf screenshot. I thought I had prevented those from appearing already. Sigh.

techman wrote:
1. The Desktop Tab that Windy is showing is the same as the Desktop Grid when attached to a Dock. see attached comparison - Windy's Shelf & my dock
2. I opened a shelf and I am also showing the same type of Desktop view that Windy is showing.

The screenshot that I provided was a comparison of Windy's shelf and a Desktop Grid from my Dock not a shelf. Sorry if I did not make myself clear. I did compare my Shelf and Windy's Shelf with the Desktop tab and they were showed the same objects.

I don't want to lead you on a wild goose chase. Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

techman wrote:
I don't want to lead you on a wild goose chase. Sorry for the confusion.

No confusion. Shelf or Grid (they are basically the same thing underneath) that file should not be there.

I think. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:46 pm 

winstep wrote:
strange characters
I guess it may be safe to assume that the file you are referring to is the following> If so I tried opening it and got an error stating that the file had no app associated with it. I know I should have copied the message :( . I closed the message and Xtreme crashed and of course I didn't copy the error messages. When I restarted Xtreme the file no longer appeared in the Desktop tab.

Attachments:
file.JPG
file.JPG [ 11.27 KiB | Viewed 14455 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

techman wrote:
When I restarted Xtreme the file no longer appeared in the Desktop tab.

Weeeeird. Don't you love stuff like this that makes it nearly impossible to figure out what is going on?! :roll:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:22 am 

winstep wrote:
techman wrote:
When I restarted Xtreme the file no longer appeared in the Desktop tab.

Weeeeird. Don't you love stuff like this that makes it nearly impossible to figure out what is going on?! :roll:

Especially when it reappears :? Yep, it's back.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Existing Grid Stacks can now be invoked from NextSTART too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Existing Grid Stacks can now be invoked from NextSTART too.

Great! :)

By means of Hotspots pointing to existing GS I presume?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:

Yep. Means the GS must previously exist somewhere in a dock or Shelf or whatever, of course, but I really don't see that as a problem.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:34 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Yep. Means the GS must previously exist somewhere in a dock or Shelf or whatever, of course, but I really don't see that as a problem.

Nope, no prob at all. :) That's pretty much as we discussed previously. Can't wait for next beta!

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:37 am 

nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Nope, no prob at all. :) That's pretty much as we discussed previously. Can't wait for next beta!

What a convert eh Jorge from being total against GS in any shape or form to now accepting them wholesale just about. :P All we need now is internal commands to be accessible as GS. Trouble is it would only make sense on certain commands.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

oOSGearOo wrote:
nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:

What a convert eh Jorge from being total against GS in any shape or form to now accepting them wholesale just about. :P All we need now is internal commands to be accessible as GS. Trouble is it would only make sense on certain commands.

Not a convert at all Steve. The discussion initially revolved around GS for docks, and that was the cause of my objection. And I still hold that, associating GSs with docks is entirely wrong and goes against the whole metaphor of a dock. However, in association with shelves, drawers and NextSTART there not only can't be any objection but moreover, there GSs can be extremely useful. Totally different principle.

In fact, some time back I described something that I called something like 'boxes' for shelves, whereby - on a regular tab - you could create any number of boxes - basically just a line around icons that would have made for easier organisation -containing a number of files/folders. However, this could not be done. GSs are basically the same thing, just external to the shelf, with a GS link in the shelf that opens this 'box'.

So that is why I very much welcome GSs for use with shelves, drawers and NextSTART - their natural habitat, as it were.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, new beta is out.

This, among other misc.additions and fixes, adds support for:

1. Invoking Grid Stacks from NextSTART.
2. Opening shortcuts to folders as Grid Stacks.
3. Automatic multi-monitor/screen resolution profiles.
4. Proper centering plus left and right justifying of tabs in themes that did not previously support this.
5. Fixed disabling menu and shelf scaling on high DPI systems not working properly.
6. Fixed the minimum width calculation allowing tabs in Drawers and Shelves to be cropped on certain themes.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 45  Next