Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
So, in order to make it resound more across the internet is "Grid Stack".

E problema terminado.

LOL. And we're back where we started. :)

Anyway, getting closer and closer to a beta. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:
Jorge, is the Grid Stack screenshot how you're going to do multiple rows?

Windy... sigh. :shock:

You've never seen Stacks in the Apple MacOSX dock?

Difference is, a Stack in MacOSX can only display the contents of a folder, under Winstep the new Grid Stack can display everything the Shelf does.

No. The only dock program I've used is Winstep Xtreme. I'm totally in the dark when you guys start talking about other similar programs.

Unlike many of your other users, I haven't spread my wild oats! Winstep is the only program for me!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, this is looking good. Getting the Grid Stack to pop up was just the tip of the iceberg, below that there is always a lot of work that needs to be done to make sure everything 'glues' together and works properly.

I've also been consolidating things internally so you can copy & move sub-docks and grid stacks via drag & drop at will. Works like a treat: even if you have sub-docks, grids, etc, nested several levels deep, copying the parent root icon flawlessly clones the whole structure too.

Now working on making sure user's can't do stupid things like dropping a sub-dock parent icon inside itself and thus break the universe! :)

You can have sub-docks nested inside grids nested inside other grids nested inside sub-docks nested inside shelves. The world is your oyster.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:27 pm 

Sounds all pretty nice.

Quote:
Now working on making sure user's can't do stupid things like dropping a sub-dock parent icon inside itself and thus break the universe! :)

lol

What would happen then, the RAM would fill up quite instantly due to icon multiplication?...or most probably just insta crash?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:39 pm 

winstep wrote:
LOL. And we're back where we started. :)

Anyway, getting closer and closer to a beta. :)

Not sure how you work your beta's I keep checking for updates, but nothing so far.
Do Beta's come like updates? I have notify Beta's on in Xtream but see nothing so far.

Can we play with it? :D 8) oh go on mister....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
What would happen then, the RAM would fill up quite instantly due to icon multiplication?...or most probably just insta crash?

A gigantic black hole would open right under your feet and suck you in faster than you could say 'yabadabadooo'. :wink:

You would probably simply lose the whole structure, leaving it orphaned in memory with no way to access it. There is actually a way to detect and fix any such trouble in Preferences -> Advanced -> Troubleshooting Options

oOSGearOo wrote:
Can we play with it? :D 8) oh go on mister....

Hold your horses, haven't made it available yet lol. Once a beta is available, I will announce it here first.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

For the default icon, the facing one any day of the week.

As for the name, 'stack' just sucks, whether by itself or combined with 'gid'. How about something like 'Grid Box' - sounds by far the most descriptive.

:Edit: 'stack/s' could always be mentioned in descriptive text, so that will be picked up as well by search engine bots. :/Edit:

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
If you really want skinners to provide digital in-shelf clocks, then for pity's sake give them more freedom along the lines that I already suggested previously. The old standard digital in-shelf/-dock clock is not only way too limited in what you can do with it as a skinner, but also just totally dated.

I already explained why in-shelf/in-dock modules are not free-form. It has mainly to do with icons in the dock being too small to allow any form of meaningful free form skinnig at lower icon sizes, BUT it also has to do with performance.

For these two major reasons, skinning of in-shelf modules will always be limited. You can already go overboard with the desktop modules though.

Yes, you did explain, and I still don't see why these restrictions should apply to certain modules and not to others. At icon sizes below 32, if not below 48, all modules look crap and don't really provide much if any useful information. Performance, yes, now that I can understand. But that could be remedied either with simple guidelines, or certain restrictions.

A good compromise for the digital in-shelf/-dock clock would be something like this:
skinnable background, with 2 or 3 lines of text - 1) Time, 2) Day (optional), 3) date, where the skinner sets font colour, and font if possible but if not a simple universal font like Arial or hooge (regular, and same font and size in all lines).
winstep wrote:
As for the clock being dated, there is a relatively recent alternative digital clock mode that actually looks really good and modern.

Where?? I don't see it here, all I see as the same old same old mixed digital/analogue appearance format, which really looks rather quaint.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
What is especially needed is for the skinner to be able to specify the colour of the metering mods.'s histo. Hell, the user can still change it if they absolutely want to.

That is already possible, and has been for ages. The theme can specify both the background image as well as the color of the graphic in the in-shelf/in-dock histogram meters.

Well, the histo colour certainly doesn't seem to get saved here. If I set it in one theme, it gets carried over to the next theme I change to, and so on, or just as often the colour even gets picked at random it would seem.

Just to clarify - by saving the histo colour I mean saving with the theme - a lot of folks tend to change themes fairly frequently, and having to reset it to suit each theme is a real PITA.
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
The same also applies to the running apps indicators for NeXus, which the ThemeBuilder alpha saves but then omits saving to the configuration.

Ok, I've added this. I couldn't in the past because when I first made the Theme Builder there was still no 'default' choice for running indicators, so there would be a conflict between what the user wanted and what the skinner wanted (and I know you hate that, but when this happens the user is king).

In the next release themes will be able to specify the running indicator image by including a 'NxIndicator.png/.tif/.ico' bitmap file in the theme folder. The theme will only use that indicator bitmap, however, if the user has left the running indicator selection as 'Default' instead of specifically choosing an indicator from the list of available indicator bitmaps.

nexter wrote:
Good. :) I already have the NxIndicator.* file in all themes, as well as a named file for each theme.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, added the 'Convert to Grid Stack' and 'Convert to Folder' options I discussed above to the right click menus of folder items and Grid Stacks displaying the contents of a folder.

This makes it very easy to create a new Grid Stack based on a folder: just drag & drop the folder to the dock, Shelf or Drawer, right click on it and select 'Convert to Grid Stack'. :)

To convert a Folder Grid Stack back to a folder, just right click the Grid Stack icon and select 'Convert to Folder' in the context menu.

Simple, and I like simple things. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyway, here we go: for now I prefer to keep this beta private for now, only downloadable from here instead of being picked up by the Update Manager.

WARNING: Make a backup of your WorkShelf settings BEFORE installing the beta..

There were changes made to the code that deal with drag & drop and internal data structures, and although I did my best to filter out and fix any bugs, the probability of those occurring (this time with potential corruption of the contents of your Shelves and Docks) is higher than normal.

You can download:

the beta of Winstep Xtreme v18.11 from HERE

and the beta of Nexus Ultimate v18.11 from HERE.

Exit all running Winstep applications, then unzip and run setup.

Please let me know ASAP what you think of the new Grid Stacks.

Click the version number in the top right corner of the About tab and then the 'View Change Log' button to see the full list of changes, fixes and additions.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:46 pm 

I really LOVE the new GRID format!

And the menu items list works great too!

Thank you so much for the excellent work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 pm 

stack seems to stay open until you click somewhere on shelf again, by design or?
also there is no behavior tab in stacks properties

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 pm 

This is how it looks here. For the most part it works but the designated grid spaces for most entries are wrong thus they don't display all the icons. The last "Docs" (folder) entry seems the one having most trouble, only displaying two rows.

The first "Windows" entry opens in my other monitor.

Here's my monitor config (3x1080p)...note the misalignment at the bottom (this is required by me)

Attachment:
2018-10-23_22-04-27.jpg
2018-10-23_22-04-27.jpg [ 8.98 KiB | Viewed 16183 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:09 pm 

winstep wrote:
Anyway, here we go: for now I prefer to keep this beta private for now, only downloadable from here instead of being picked up by the Update Manager.

WARNING: Make a backup of your WorkShelf settings BEFORE installing the beta..

There were changes made to the code that deal with drag & drop and internal data structures, and although I did my best to filter out and fix any bugs, the probability of those occurring (this time with potential corruption of the contents of your Shelves and Docks) is higher than normal.

You can download:

the beta of Winstep Xtreme v18.11 from HERE

and the beta of Nexus Ultimate v18.11 from HERE.

Exit all running Winstep applications, then unzip and run setup.

Please let me know ASAP what you think of the new Grid Stacks.

Click the version number in the top right corner of the About tab and then the 'View Change Log' button to see the full list of changes, fixes and additions.

Excellent work Jorge. I did the steps as you set out including backup of settings (unnecessary). One thing Ive noticed with this build so far (even though the recycler is empty it still shows full) It had stuff in it I used the explorer window to empty it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
stack seems to stay open until you click somewhere on shelf again, by design or?

I never used the real thing, so I have no idea how it works on MacOSX.

This said, the stack staying open until you click somewhere else actually allows you to do some quick drag & drop (especially from other Shelves, docks, etc, as clicking on a different Shelf or dock will not close the Stack either) without having to go through the drag, hover, wait for it to open, etc, process...

Ah, you're probably going to like this too: you can now copy whole sub-docks and their contents simply by pressing CTRL when dragging (same applies to Grid Stacks, of course).

seeker wrote:
also there is no behavior tab in stacks properties

Sub-dock properties don't have a behavior tab either.

Nearly all the settings in the Behavior tab are either global or have to do with mouse activation/auto-hide settings, which do not apply to Grid Stacks.

At first I displayed the Behavior tab and had all the irrelevant settings disabled (which is most of them) but seeing the result (and also how one user at Wincustomize got confused because the Content tab of Drawer properties, which only supports one tab, still shows the buttons allowing you to add other tabs although disabled) I decided it was perhaps best to remove it altogether.

The only problem is the button that controls sub-dock behavior inside the Stack was also on the Behavior tab and now is missing, but I guess I can perhaps relocate that button to the Contents tab of Stack Properties.

What do you think?

sacco_belmonte wrote:
For the most part it works but the designated grid spaces for most entries are wrong thus they don't display all the icons.

What do you mean by 'grid spaces' ? The size of the whole Grid Stack? I deliberately limit it to half the width and half the height of the current monitor, whichever is less.

If it would get bigger than that, it grows scroll buttons. The MacOSX Stack does the same thing, although it uses a scroll bar instead of scroll buttons.

sacco_belmonte wrote:
The last "Docs" (folder) entry seems the one having most trouble, only displaying two rows.

The first "Windows" entry opens in my other monitor.

That's the reason why this is a beta. :)

What do you think of the animation?

And the speed of the animation, does it feel too fast (you can control animation speed on the General tab of Preferences, if you want to play with it a bit). Speed of closing animation is twice as fast as opening animation, for obvious reasons. :)

Any other observations?

Also, I added the two different default icons to the Icons\Samples\ folder, if any of you want to use the alternate icon just rename Grid-Stack.png to Grid-Stack-old.png (for instance) and Grid-Stack2.png to Grid-Stack.png.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 45  Next