Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 pm 

Don`t have much time now. Just wanted to say to you Jorge that I really like the grid and the search + filter. It is working nice, even in Control Panel Shelf tab.

And the glow thing looks way better on my new 32" monitor.

Good job Jorge, as always!

I am preparing myself for my own beast: reinstalling Windows. After 4 years it is about time. I am for a few days of pain, to bring everything to normal. I will do a backup afterwords to avoid the pain in the future...

When I finish I will come back to tell you if any of the errors I have now are still present.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:13 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Well, everything's running fine here, absolutely no errors/problems so far with the current beta.

The detaching Grid Stacks are great - can't bring myself to try them from the dock though, just goes against the grain here. :) But on shelves/drawers - perfect Jorge, well done. Same goes for the search. Yes, I *am* testing it, even if I'll never use it in earnest. :) If anything, the box size of the search could be even smaller, though it looks fine. Font size is OK as well, no problem. And working perfectly with regular tabs too. Like that glow - always wanted to use that effect more extensively myself but never seem to find enough appropriate opportunities. (And that's just given me an idea!)

All in all, here's a couple of well-earned pats on the back for you Jorge. ;)

BTW, added some possibly important new additional info in re: that vertical/horizontal menu title bar problem to https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10870 yesterday:
Quote:
I've again gone over the two config files with a fine-toothed comb (and corrected some wrong values in the process), and then compared the behaviour of my theme with that of Darkmatter.

It is identical Jorge. So there is something missing in the Darkmatter config that would allow detached sub-menus to have the correct sub-theme horizontal title bars and close, roll up and rotate gadgets. (The context menus have them, though.)

Hence, not a matter of NextSTART not seeing the sub-theme. (In any case, non-detached sub-menus *do* have horizontal title bars.)

I have an inkling it might be something to do with an old setting we used to have (at least, I can't find it now in NextSTART prefs, nor the config files) - something about sub-menus inheriting theme/disable? Then again, I may be on totally the wrong track....

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Something else I just added has to do with the ability to left, center and right justify the tabs in a Shelf.

There are a few different possible ways to skin the Shelf, and most themes were created before I added the options to center the tabs, etc... As such, if some look ok, many others where the shelf body is not independent from the tabs can look terrible, e.g.; KTEK-4D:

So, I decided to use some more of the auto-correct 'magic' I used for the icon grids to fix this problem as well:

The best thing about this is that the algorithm tries to detect those themes where the *whole* tab row is actually supposed to be centered (i.e.; the tab row is independent from the Shelf body), and is successful *most of the time*, e.g.:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:13 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Something else I just added has to do with the ability to left, center and right justify the tabs in a Shelf.

There are a few different possible ways to skin the Shelf, and most themes were created before I added the options to center the tabs, etc... As such, if some look ok, many others where the shelf body is not independent from the tabs can look terrible, e.g.; KTEK-4D:

So, I decided to use some more of the auto-correct 'magic' I used for the icon grids to fix this problem as well:

The best thing about this is that the algorithm tries to detect those themes where the *whole* tab row is actually supposed to be centered (i.e.; the tab row is independent from the Shelf body), and is successful *most of the time*, e.g.:

Clever. Curious to see if it'll work with my shelves - the tabs are supposed to cover the whole width of the shelf and would look atrocious if set to 'centred'. Fingers crossed this will prevent that.

Also, glad you included the option for a 'Detach Submenu' sound. Guess I'll discover soon enough if a selected sound for this gets saved to the theme.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:31 am 

winstep wrote:

Oh no!! Are you going to do something that will change the KTEK-4D tab to the second image? I like the way the tab looks as is. To me, that's what gives it character. Otherwise, it's just another boxy theme. :cry:

At very least, please make an option to keep it the way it is now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:

No.

There is no arguing that the first image not only looks as *is* wrong.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
sacco_belmonte wrote:
The following video shows some of it, and also shows one of the folders won't open as grid stack (guitar vids). I right clicked on folders and opened properties for you to see if you find what's going on.

Well, that is not a real folder, is it? It's a *shortcut* to a folder. :)

Windows shortcuts to folders can now also be opened as Grid Stacks and Browsed in menus.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, just added a way to manage multi-monitor profiles (or multi-resolution profiles). The Winstep application basically 'remembers' the position of Shelves, docks, drawers, etc... when you switch screen resolutions or when you add/remove monitors.

When you switch to a different configuration (for instance, when you add a secondary monitor to a laptop) and assuming you had already configured your setup for that particular configuration before, the application automatically restores the positions Shelves etc previously had in that particular configuration.

Unfortunately the user that prompted this addition seems to have gone AWOL, at least for the moment. Anyone else interested in this feature?

There's one thing I'm not quite sure how to go about: he mentioned that in his dual monitor configuration he has a shelf in each monitor, and complained that the second shelf would jump to his laptop's primary screen when he disconnected the secondary.

Now, the method I just implemented does not solve the problem assuming he only wants to use the second Shelf when the other monitor is connected (other than him now being able to place the second Shelf somewhere else in his primary monitor rather than it appearing on top of the first shelf), unless I also associate enabled/disabled to the monitor profiles (e.g.; a Shelf might be enabled in one profile, but disabled in another).

This has the potential to become a bit confusing, however, if, for instance, you have a shelf disabled in a particular profile but forgot having done it and then returning to that particular profile a long time afterwards or vice-versa, no?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:57 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

No.

It not only looks wrong but actually looks atrocious and totally destroys the look of the theme. Pooh-ugly.
winstep wrote:
Now, the method I just implemented does not solve the problem assuming he only wants to use the second Shelf when the other monitor is connected (other than him now being able to place the second Shelf somewhere else in his primary monitor rather than it appearing on top of the first shelf), unless I also associate enabled/disabled to the monitor profiles (e.g.; a Shelf might be enabled in one profile, but disabled in another).

This has the potential to become a bit confusing, however, if, for instance, you have a shelf disabled in a particular profile but forgot having done it and then returning to that particular profile a long time afterwards or vice-versa, no?

Potentially very confusing. Best left alone I'd say. As I don't use my external monitor that way (i.e., as a second) but rather just to replace the built-in screen, it doesn't really affect me either way, at least, for now. Things may change in the future. But I'd still say the same.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Potentially very confusing. Best left alone I'd say. As I don't use my external monitor that way (i.e., as a second) but rather just to replace the built-in screen, it doesn't really affect me either way, at least, for now. Things may change in the future. But I'd still say the same.

I actually decided to implement this with the ability to enable or disable specific docks/shelves/drawers in each monitor profile.

Profile management is 100% transparent to the user - everything is taken care of in the background, much like the positioning of desktop modules every time you switch to a different theme already is, you probably don't even notice it's there: e.g.; you switch to a new theme, desktop modules are auto-arranged. You now open some new modules, re-arrange them as you want, then switch to yet another new theme - again, currently open desktop modules are auto-arranged so they don't overlap each other because of their new sizes. However, when you switch back to the previous theme, the desktop modules will now be where you expected them to be for that theme (because, behind your back, the Winstep application is automatically creating profiles for the different themes and screen resolutions).

So, multi-monitor profiling should be pretty much the same. Nothing happens until you actually change screen resolutions or add/remove monitors. At that point, the position of objects at that particular moment is saved, and the shelves, etc, auto-arrange to fit the new screen resolution or multi-monitor arrangement. You can then re-position them at will, the new positions will also be saved when/if you switch to a different configuration.

When you switch back to your previous configuration, instead of shelves, etc, being auto-arranged they are now placed at their previous positions for that particular configuration. First they are all closed (to make sure reserved screen areas are properly reset, which seemed to be another of the user's complaints), and then they re-appear at the positions they were at in the saved profile.

Shelves that were disabled in the previous configuration but enabled in the one you just switched to are re-enabled, and vice-versa. This will allow the user to only have a second shelf open (in his secondary monitor) when he is using two monitors. That second shelf can be disabled in his single monitor profile.

Either way, I also added an option to disable multi-monitor profiles to the General tab of Preferences (but they will be enabled by default).

Now I need him to test the whole she-bang but he seems to be AWOL.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:38 pm 

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

I actually decided to implement this with the ability to enable or disable specific docks/shelves/drawers in each monitor profile.

Profile management is 100% transparent to the user - everything is taken care of in the background, much like the positioning of desktop modules every time you switch to a different theme already is, you probably don't even notice it's there: e.g.; you switch to a new theme, desktop modules are auto-arranged. You now open some new modules, re-arrange them as you want, then switch to yet another new theme - again, currently open desktop modules are auto-arranged so they don't overlap each other because of their new sizes. However, when you switch back to the previous theme, the desktop modules will now be where you expected them to be for that theme (because, behind your back, the Winstep application is automatically creating profiles for the different themes and screen resolutions).

So, multi-monitor profiling should be pretty much the same. Nothing happens until you actually change screen resolutions or add/remove monitors. At that point, the position of objects at that particular moment is saved, and the shelves, etc, auto-arrange to fit the new screen resolution or multi-monitor arrangement. You can then re-position them at will, the new positions will also be saved when/if you switch to a different configuration.

<Snip>

Either way, I also added an option to disable multi-monitor profiles to the General tab of Preferences (but they will be enabled by default).

Now I need him to test the whole she-bang but he seems to be AWOL.

I have more than one monitor display and like what I read about this "multi-monitor profiling" Presently I have everything on the one display and no docks modules .... on the second, but will use the second display if a test becomes available.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

No.

Jorge, just so you know, it isn't only aesthetics. It is also functionality of the Shelf. In the screenshot, you'll see why.

I sometimes bump the Shelf and leave it that way while looking at something and after I'm done looking I'll then put the cursor on one of the tabs and cycle through the tabs to find which one I want to use.

Obviously, if it's the way you said you're going to change it to, it will take up the whole screen and block part of my toolbar.

Attachment:
Winstep Xtreme Top Shelf-Tab Change Issue.jpg
Winstep Xtreme Top Shelf-Tab Change Issue.jpg [ 198.76 KiB | Viewed 13967 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
Obviously, if it's the way you said you're going to change it to, it will take up the whole screen and block part of my toolbar.

Yes, it will.

You can try using a different theme where the tabs are independent of the body OR you can resize the Shelf so it only uses the right portion of your screen.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:28 pm 

winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:

Yes, it will.

You can try using a different theme where the tabs are independent of the body OR you can resize the Shelf so it only uses the right portion of your screen.

Two things wrong with that.

1. I love the KTEK-4D theme and don't want to change it. :cry:

2. I can't very well block out the hot woman can I?!! Stunning isn't she?!! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
1. I love the KTEK-4D theme and don't want to change it. :cry:

2. I can't very well block out the hot woman can I?!! Stunning isn't she?!! :wink:

Yes, she is, but life is made of hard choices. :)

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 45  Next