Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
[All well and nice, all these pithy things, but - as per my last post - where's the beef, Jorge? ;) Surely things should be prioritised?

Well, the Theme Builder is going to be a HUGE amount of work. These are little things I can add quickly while I try an psyche myself up to work on the builder.

Anyway, things keep moving along, but you have to remember there is only one of me, and in this past year we've already had 6 updates - all of them filled to the brink with new goodies. Things will get done.

LOL! Yeah, deep breaths Jorge, relax and psyche yourself up. ;) I do appreciate that the ThemeBuilder is a mammoth task after all this time with all the new features etc. And indeed, with you alone having to do it, it will assume almost epic proportions. Rome wasn't built in a day, as the old adage has it, and ThemeBuilder won't be done in a couple of weeks either. I know that ultimately you always do deliver though.

And you're right, there certainly have been a ton of new goodies this year. I'd go so far as to say that even 18.8 added up to a major release on its own, and overall there has been enough new stuff to justify at least two major releases so people are getting more than their money's worth if they registered/renewed early in the year. But certainly, a more finished beta of ThemeBuilder's NeXus portion would be nice, and perhaps - to start with the most fundamental things first - a beta or even alpha of the NextSTART portion.

I wouldn't seriously expect a final, fully polished release version of ThemeBuilder within the next couple of months or so, nor even early in the New Year. And in between working on TB, there's always time to switch over to doing a few other, easy to implement or fix things.

Speaking of which, I've got one that should be a very quickly done fix but I'll post that separately in its own thread.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And here is the new Label Settings dialog:

Not only can you now also change the text effect applied (Normal, Outline, Shadow, Sharp, Emboss), as you can tinker with the text effect's opacity. It also allows you to preview the results immediately.

More importantly - and probably the major reason for me to want to implement this - it frees precious space from the Appearance tab of the Dock Properties panel.

Likewise, Shelves and Drawers also use external floating labels if the number of lines of text for icons is set to None. Those settings were in the 'More Options' dialog of the Shelf's Appearance tab, so access to these settings can now be moved to a more logical place.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:44 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
[All well and nice, all these pithy things, but - as per my last post - where's the beef, Jorge? ;) Surely things should be prioritised?

Well, the Theme Builder is going to be a HUGE amount of work. These are little things I can add quickly while I try an psyche myself up to work on the builder.

Anyway, things keep moving along, but you have to remember there is only one of me, and in this past year we've already had 6 updates - all of them filled to the brink with new goodies. Things will get done.

LOL! Yeah, deep breaths Jorge, relax and psyche yourself up. ;) I do appreciate that the ThemeBuilder is a mammoth task after all this time with all the new features etc. And indeed, with you alone having to do it, it will assume almost epic proportions. Rome wasn't built in a day, as the old adage has it, and ThemeBuilder won't be done in a couple of weeks either. I know that ultimately you always do deliver though.

And you're right, there certainly have been a ton of new goodies this year. I'd go so far as to say that even 18.8 added up to a major release on its own, and overall there has been enough new stuff to justify at least two major releases so people are getting more than their money's worth if they registered/renewed early in the year. But certainly, a more finished beta of ThemeBuilder's NeXus portion would be nice, and perhaps - to start with the most fundamental things first - a beta or even alpha of the NextSTART portion.

I wouldn't seriously expect a final, fully polished release version of ThemeBuilder within the next couple of months or so, nor even early in the New Year. And in between working on TB, there's always time to switch over to doing a few other, easy to implement or fix things.

Speaking of which, I've got one that should be a very quickly done fix but I'll post that separately in its own thread.

Oops, I should have said two or three, actually. All concerning the NextSTART Taskbar, with the default Winstep configuration.
It's here : https://forums.winstep.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10849

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:
Oops, I should have said two or three, actually. All concerning the NextSTART Taskbar, with the default Winstep configuration.

In v18.10 I already followed your advice of simplifying the default NextSTART menu. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:13 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

In v18.10 I already followed your advice of simplifying the default NextSTART menu. :)

I noticed, Jorge - much better already. :) Meanwhile, once I get back I'll be continuing (on and off) working on my new setup (I now use 5 user accounts with different setups for Winstep) with my version of a simplified default config. Will post when ready. Eventually. :)

However, that's not the issue here - there are three functional issues with the Taskbar described and illustrated in the above linked thread. All should be quite simple and quick fixes. (I hope! :) )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:49 pm 

winstep wrote:
adrianq wrote:
Will the next release include a way for Nexus Menu items to not overlap the dock?

In v18.10 I already did the necessary changes so the first menu that pops up does not overlap the icons, Adrian.

As I wrote on the other thread: "you should notice the menus no longer overlap the middle of the dock, they will always pop up above or below the (non magnified) icon area."

This does not mean the first menu will not partially overlap part of the dock's body: doing that would be completely wrong because a) some dock backgrounds are HUGE and b) you don't want the menu to pop up too far from where you clicked to minimize travel distance.

Jorge,

Maybe I am setting something wrong since the menu is still overlapping. I have attached a couple of pictures.

Any ideas what I am overlooking?

Attachments:
File comment: Overlapping menu item
overlap.png
overlap.png [ 191.94 KiB | Viewed 15985 times ]
File comment: Current Version Number
version.png
version.png [ 138.33 KiB | Viewed 15985 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

adrianq wrote:
Maybe I am setting something wrong since the menu is still overlapping.

Oh, but that's not a right click context menu, that's a folder menu (i.e.; the menu that pops up when you click on a folder item in the dock set to open as a menu). Guess I forgot about those. :oops:

Can you please confirm that the menus you get when you *right click* on dock items are indeed not overlapping the dock icons?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:24 pm 

winstep wrote:
Can you please confirm that the menus you get when you *right click* on dock items are indeed not overlapping the dock icons?

The right click menus work perfectly. They do NOT overlap the dock. It would be great if the "folder menu" items would work the same way.

Thanks again for the quick response.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

adrianq wrote:
The right click menus work perfectly. They do NOT overlap the dock. It would be great if the "folder menu" items would work the same way.

Thanks for confirming this. I fixed the issue with the folder-type menus, unfortunately you will have to wait for the next public beta. You might want to enable the 'Notify me of beta (test) versions' setting in the Advanced tab of Preferences.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
More importantly - and probably the major reason for me to want to implement this - it frees precious space from the Appearance tab of the Dock Properties panel.

Which I can now use to move into it the new menu scaling option currently buried in General -> More Options, thus making it a lot more visible (and putting it where it should be). :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:25 am 

Bug in MPlayer icon:

Old playlists work just fine, but trying to create new playlist from a folder, regardless of the method (drag and drop over the icon, drag and drop in the Media Player settings or using the buttons in the Media Player settings) will create the playlist (with the apropriate name: the folder name), will show all the files in that folder but will only play 3 or 4 files, always the same files, regardless of the method employed to play them (next key on the keyboard, next button from MPlayer control, normal advance at the end of the song or trying to choose any other file, apart for the 3 or 4 that are working, via "right click menu/Now Playing/song")

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
but will only play 3 or 4 files, always the same files

Do you have 'Shuffle' enabled or disabled?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
but will only play 3 or 4 files, always the same files

Ok, just tested it here and although I did find a 'bug' which I fixed (forgot to add the same drag & drop capability to the Media Player icon in Shelves and Drawers) what you mention is working just fine, i.e.; it plays all the files in the playlist.

So, I suspect something else: a bad mp3 file or something. The bug would thus be on what happens if the media player encounters a file it cannot play for some reason.

However, I need you to verify that somehow.

Something else to check out: if you open the .m3u playlist file

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Alarms\<playlist filename>.m3u

is any of the filenames there (together with pathname) longer than 266 characters (MAX_PATH)?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:45 pm 

winstep wrote:

Quote:
Do you have 'Shuffle' enabled or disabled?

It does not matter, the result is the same.

winstep wrote:

Quote:
However, I need you to verify that somehow.

Something else to check out: if you open the .m3u playlist file

C:\Users\Public\Documents\WinStep\Alarms\<playlist filename>.m3u

is any of the filenames there (together with pathname) longer than 266 characters (MAX_PATH)?

Nope, way below that. Also checked the files, all mp3, all working ok.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vlad wrote:
Nope, way below that. Also checked the files, all mp3, all working ok.

How many mp3 files are in that playlist? Can you check them by clicking each file in the 'Now Playing' menu?

Can you email me the .m3u playlist so I can have a look? Perhaps a filename with foreign characters is the problem.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next