Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you had a Grid Stack opening at the top of the screen containing lots of folders and those folders where set to open as Grid Stacks, those Grid Stacks would open BELOW the very bottom of the parent Grid Stack (i.e.; too far away from the mouse pointer).

I changed it so the Grid Stack now pops up just below the parent icon.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:28 pm 

winstep wrote:
Added 'Ascending' and 'Descending' options to the Sort By setting of Shelf tabs. The lack of those was getting on my nerves.

So does this mean I will be able to use the *Regular* tab type instead of *Folder* tab type setting to add my folders on my single tab side docked Shelf? And that my top docked Shelf (that has Desktop, Main, Control Panel etc.) will work the way it used to?

Last edited by Windy on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:31 pm 

How can I make folders which open as stack to look as the parent stack? Right now they show up with their default look.

I noticed a folder with a custom icon opens as a folder and a folder without icon opens as a stack. That is, after setting " open folders as stack" in the main grid stack settings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:16 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nearly forgot about this one. GridStack's supposed to take its theme from the standard current shelf theme, and does so nicely, but has it's own settings for a variety of things.

Alas, there's one omission though - no setting for reversing the mini tab icons/functions, Jorge. In my case, this results in GSs being inconsistent with the shelf as I have them reversed, i.e., left = collapse and right = prefs. Had them like that from earliest days as that's what I was used to under NeXT OS of course, and it runs deep in my DNA. :)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
So does this mean I will be able to use the *Regular* tab type instead of *Folder* tab type

No! I said I added ascending and descending options to tab types that ALREADY supported sorting (because they cannot be sorted by hand and that option might be useful/feasible with that type of tab).

The tab types that support Sorting are Folder, Desktop, Documents, Downloads and Recent.

sacco_belmonte wrote:
How can I make folders which open as stack to look as the parent stack? Right now they show up with their default look.

Yeah, that is going to be a problem. I had already inquired in this thread about Grid Stack theme inheritance, but nobody commented at the time.

The problem is that these Grid Stacks don't really exist, they are dynamic and temporary, so there is no place to store their settings - therefore they use the default settings and the current global Shelf theme.

sacco_belmonte wrote:
I noticed a folder with a custom icon opens as a folder and a folder without icon opens as a stack. That is, after setting " open folders as stack" in the main grid stack settings.

Custom icons should have nothing to do with it... what is the type of the parent Shelf/Drawer/Grid Stack? Regular?

nexter wrote:
Alas, there's one omission though - no setting for reversing the mini tab icons/functions, Jorge.

Yes, I'm aware, Seeker had already commented on this - it's made worse by the dynamic Grid stacks.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:42 pm 

Quote:
what is the type of the parent Shelf/Drawer/Grid Stack? Regular?

WHere do I check that?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

sacco_belmonte wrote:
WHere do I check that?

LOL. I'm talking about the Shelf tab/Drawer/Grid Stack that *holds* the customized folder icon. Since I don't know which of the three the parent object is (although I suspect it is a Grid Stack) I can't call it by its name.

Anyway, this should work: right click on the customized folder icon (the one that opens as a folder instead of a Grid Stack), then select Tab then Tab Properties.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 pm 

If I right click that folder and chose tab/tab properties it opens the "Guitar tab properties" which is the parent dock which is a grid stack indeed.

"Open Folders in Grid Stacks" was checked previously by me.

Tab Type: Folder

The item in the dock has a custom icon because the actual folder has a custom icon. In explorer, if I see in the "Customise" tab in the actual folder properties is set to "Videos" That could be?

The folder indeed is full of videos.

Not that I dislike it opening as a window, I just wanted to report that behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:13 pm 

Changing the folder customisation to "General items" didn't made Winstep to open it as stack. So that's not it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:28 pm 

Quote:
Yeah, that is going to be a problem. I had already inquired in this thread about Grid Stack theme inheritance, but nobody commented at the time.

The problem is that these Grid Stacks don't really exist, they are dynamic and temporary, so there is no place to store their settings - therefore they use the default settings and the current global Shelf theme.

I could make the sub grid stacks to open with the same color. Following what you said I went to the general theme and colorized it.

Having the grid there doesn't bother me.

Here's a video showing how is working in general with folders.

I have installed Iconpackager previously and I notice some folder appear yellow and others appear grey as the iconpackager applied theme.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Alas, there's one omission though - no setting for reversing the mini tab icons/functions, Jorge.

Yes, I'm aware, Seeker had already commented on this - it's made worse by the dynamic Grid stacks.

Actually... the answer has been staring at me in the face all the time.

That is NOT the kind of setting you want *per Shelf*. You either want all of them like that - or none. So I'll just turn that into a global setting and we're done.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:29 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Actually... the answer has been staring at me in the face all the time.

That is NOT the kind of setting you want *per Shelf*. You either want all of them like that - or none. So I'll just turn that into a global setting and we're done.

Of course! Excellent, Jorge. :) Don't know how I'd cope with non-reversed mini-tabs. :)

BTW, are we going to be able to detach GSs? What have you decided?

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:

I'm going for yes, just haven't implemented it yet.

Not as straightforward as it might look though: users will tend to use the tab header to detach (move) the Grid Stack, but that is actually used to resize the Stack by dragging the tab up and down.

I'm going to try reserving the area with text for this on Grid Stacks and the rest for dragging (I've noticed that my own behavior is to pull on the area where the tab header text is when I want to drag up, but click on the empty area of the tab header when I want to move the Grid Stack instead)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:57 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

I'm going for yes, just haven't implemented it yet.

Not as straightforward as it might look though: users will tend to use the tab header to detach (move) the Grid Stack, but that is actually used to resize the Stack by dragging the tab up and down.

I'm going to try reserving the area with text for this on Grid Stacks and the rest for dragging (I've noticed that my own behavior is to pull on the area where the tab header text is when I want to drag up, but click on the empty area of the tab header when I want to move the Grid Stack instead)

Yep, sounds spot on Jorge! Same behaviour here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, I have one question for you peeps:

Of the settings that are currently individual to each dock and Shelf, which do you think should really be made global (i.e.; once selected, apply to all docks and shelves) ?

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 45  Next