Winstep

Software Technologies


 Winstep Forums


Print view
Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 45  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 873
Location: UK
Windy wrote:
winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:
Obviously, if it's the way you said you're going to change it to, it will take up the whole screen and block part of my toolbar.


Yes, it will.

You can try using a different theme where the tabs are independent of the body OR you can resize the Shelf so it only uses the right portion of your screen.


Two things wrong with that.

1. I love the KTEK-4D theme and don't want to change it. :cry:

2. I can't very well block out the hot woman can I?!! Stunning isn't she?!! :wink:

:Splutter: Err.... *WHAT*? What 'hot' woman? All I see is a skinny bit of flat arse in knickers, straw (likely fake at that) hair and bits of a not-too-promising, plain-Jane face. (And I've just had a 2nd and 3rd opinion on that, too.) And - though I'm far from any kind of fan of feminism, on the contrary! - you're objectifying women with that shot and carrying on like some hot-under-the-collar juvenile who thinks with his horn. ;)

Besides, you can always move your shelf. :)

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:25 pm
Posts: 376
Grow up.


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:20 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10941
Gregory2001 wrote:
Grow up.


He's kidding, and this argument stops here. That goes for you and for him.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:46 am
Posts: 419
winstep wrote:
This has the potential to become a bit confusing, however, if, for instance, you have a shelf disabled in a particular profile but forgot having done it and then returning to that particular profile a long time afterwards or vice-versa, no?


not any more than it already can be, i mean even now you could disable a shelf/dock in a 'single resolution' setup and then forget all about it when you load the settings down the road


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 811
nexter wrote:
:Splutter: Err.... *WHAT*? What 'hot' woman? All I see is a skinny bit of flat arse in knickers, straw (likely fake at that) hair and bits of a not-too-promising, plain-Jane face. (And I've just had a 2nd and 3rd opinion on that, too.) And - though I'm far from any kind of fan of feminism, on the contrary! - you're objectifying women with that shot and carrying on like some hot-under-the-collar juvenile who thinks with his horn. ;)

Besides, you can always move your shelf. :)


I'll address what you said about how she looks and ignore the last part of your statement. You might have that opinion because I only took part of the toolbar and you were not able to see the whole thing. You might change your mind after seeing it.

Here's the link to the theme. BTW, it's for Firefox. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... n-my-eyes/


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10941
Guys, this is a thread about new features after v18.10, not a discussion on how a particular woman looks. Take it off-topic or STOP (in preference the latter).

I am not in a very good mood today.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 873
Location: UK
winstep wrote:
Guys, this is a thread about new features after v18.10, not a discussion on how a particular woman looks. Take it off-topic or STOP (in preference the latter).

I am not in a very good mood today.

I'm 'shtumm'. Not worth pursuing and inappropriate here indeed, as you say Jorge. To get back on topic -

I've been trying very hard to find some new problem with the Grid Stacks and search, but nothing. It's all working swingingly here. :)

Already incorporated three Grid Stacks into my shelf in my personal setup. Proving extremely useful. Helps keep the contents of my 'Projects' tabs small and easily overseen and thus makes for cleaner organisation of projects and smoother work flow.

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:50 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10941
See? I knew Grid Stacks would be a 'biggie'. :)

Anyway, I think it's time to start wrapping things up for the official release, after one final beta in a couple of days.

I need to ramp up on the anti-piracy and integrity check measures first though.

Wish those who claim 'oh, a pirated copy is not a lost sale' to self-justify their actions read the other thread to realize how wrong they are. I also wish those who crack small utility software like Winstep get robbed one day of all the hard earned money they made from their regular jobs during that month, and that the thief laughs in their faces as he's doing so just so they know how it feels.

Doubt that they would be able to put two and two together, though. Sigh.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:16 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10941
Test... Just upgraded the version of PHP installed on this server, if you met some flaky forum service in the last few hours, now you know why. :)

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 873
Location: UK
winstep wrote:
See? I knew Grid Stacks would be a 'biggie'. :)

Yep, and so they are. :) What put me off the track at the beginning was the fact that the whole discussion centred around docks in the beginning. I still think that's a 'mixed metaphor' as it were and feels all wrong (to the old NeXT purist in me anyway), but in combo with shelves/drawers - perfection!
winstep wrote:
Anyway, I think it's time to start wrapping things up for the official release, after one final beta in a couple of days.

I need to ramp up on the anti-piracy and integrity check measures first though.

Alas, that's always going to be a loosing battle Jorge. You build a better mouse trap and soon enough you get better mice. ;) And so the cycle goes on and on. But what else can one do!

The thing is, as long as there are people prepared to rip off small developers by using cracked versions of their apps, you're going to get someone happy enough to keep cracking it for the sake of some mythical 'kudos'. :( Yes, granted, there no doubt are some people out there who can barely afford any sort of computer and can't afford even a few quid for a utility that they somehow discover they desperately need, and it's easy saying then they should just do without. In the case of apps like Winstep, that is certainly valid and true enough. Winstep - as great as it is - is not essential for anything, though I know it certainly is to me but then again that is a matter of personal preference. But sometimes it can be something that really may be vital to some fiscally handicapped person, that may actually help them improve their situation, and there one cannot help but empathise with their predicament.

I 'grew up' with personal computers in a time when software was something you wrote yourself and/or swapped with friends and acquaintances and/or got off BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems, for those too young to remember these things.) Paying for software was simply not an option then, and would have been laughed at and totally rejected. And so, like many others like me, when computers, OSs, and programmes and coding became much more complex and commercial and shareware apps started to appear, I resented and resisted the very idea of paying for it for some time. But of course, eventually almost everyone realised that it was either paying up or sooner or later there wouldn't be any apps.

That is a lesson that certain rats that use cracked versions of apps like Winstep desperately need to learn. Because they are the biggest threat to the health of software by small developers, more so even than the pirates per se.
winstep wrote:
Wish those who claim 'oh, a pirated copy is not a lost sale' to self-justify their actions read the other thread to realize how wrong they are. I also wish those who crack small utility software like Winstep get robbed one day of all the hard earned money they made from their regular jobs during that month, and that the thief laughs in their faces as he's doing so just so they know how it feels.

Doubt that they would be able to put two and two together, though. Sigh.

:mrgreen: Yeah, and those dirty little rats that use the stuff as well. :)
winstep wrote:
Test... Just upgraded the version of PHP installed on this server, if you met some flaky forum service in the last few hours, now you know why. :)

Don't know about the last few hours, but early in the morning - i.e., the small hours GMT, it was offline, just kept getting a '500'.

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:21 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10941
nexter wrote:
Yes, granted, there no doubt are some people out there who can barely afford any sort of computer and can't afford even a few quid for a utility that they somehow discover they desperately need, and it's easy saying then they should just do without. In the case of apps like Winstep, that is certainly valid and true enough.


Then all they need to do is write in and ASK. You don't TAKE, you ASK (and you have to be prepared for a 'No').

nexter wrote:
Paying for software was simply not an option then, and would have been laughed at and totally rejected.


Yes, I remember those times very well - back then you could have a room filled with literally thousands of counterfeit computer tapes and it would be ok (i.e.; legal) as long as those were not AUDIO tapes.

But those times are long gone. Everyone knows the value of software these days.

nexter wrote:
But of course, eventually almost everyone realised that it was either paying up or sooner or later there wouldn't be any apps.


And that is literally the thing. Everyone knows that, but some don't care. They are like locusts, consume everything in one place and once that's done and there is nothing left, they simply move on to another location without a second thought about the destruction they left behind.

nexter wrote:
:mrgreen: Yeah, and those dirty little rats that use the stuff as well. :)


They don't understand. They only understand how truly devastating it is when it happens to THEM - then it HITS them like a TON OF BRICKS - but, of course, since so few of those people actually contribute with ANYTHING creative, fat chance that will ever happen to them.

It is akin to you working your butt off for a whole summer to buy something you always dreamed of, and then at the very end of all that effort, when you can almost taste that reward, your employer turns to you and says 'I'm not paying you, and oh, by the way, I am not stealing from you because you can't steal something you don't already have'

It's bullsh*t!

And for what? To be able to run a version that his older than your grandma because you can't update it and looks like crap because the crack is defective or something? And then you blame the software and have the nerve to come complaining and asking for help to the guy who created the software and whom you're stealing from so blatantly?! lol

The problems he has with the software are ALL of his own doing - and are all well deserved too.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:19 pm
Posts: 873
Location: UK
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Yes, granted, there no doubt are some people out there who can barely afford any sort of computer and can't afford even a few quid for a utility that they somehow discover they desperately need, and it's easy saying then they should just do without. In the case of apps like Winstep, that is certainly valid and true enough.

Then all they need to do is write in and ASK. You don't TAKE, you ASK (and you have to be prepared for a 'No').

Indeed. And yet, even then I think where non-essential apps (like in this case Winstep) are concerned, they rather should just do without. I know I would. I could see perhaps asking if it was something that really could help me perhaps. But then, as a developer, how do you know that the person asking isn't just trying it on? You don't, simple. To paraphrase a well known quote from the classic TV sci-fi series Babylon 5, "Nobody on the internet is exactly what they appear."
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
Paying for software was simply not an option then, and would have been laughed at and totally rejected.

Yes, I remember those times very well - back then you could have a room filled with literally thousands of counterfeit computer tapes and it would be ok (i.e.; legal) as long as those were not AUDIO tapes.

LOL! Yes, weird situation that was.

But I´m talking even earlier than that, well before machines like the Sinclair and Amstrad etc. came along. There simply wasn´t any commercial software yet (apart from perhaps a few simple apps for the Apple I/II?) for machines like the Commodore Pet and others like it - you very quickly learned Basic and 'rolled your own' or asked around or hit a BBS. :)
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
But of course, eventually almost everyone realised that it was either paying up or sooner or later there wouldn't be any apps.

And that is literally the thing. Everyone knows that, but some don't care. They are like locusts, consume everything in one place and once that's done and there is nothing left, they simply move on to another location without a second thought about the destruction they left behind.

That's the problem with human society as a whole too. We are a cancer, consuming everything and spreading everywhere, and killing the host in the process. :( And thus we have the same happening with, in a microcosm, software, alas. And in either case, sadly, almost nobody gives a damn. In the first case, profit is all that counts, in the second, small personal gains and 'savings'. :/
winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:
:mrgreen: Yeah, and those dirty little rats that use the stuff as well. :)

They don't understand. They only understand how truly devastating it is when it happens to THEM - then it HITS them like a TON OF BRICKS - but, of course, since so few of those people actually contribute with ANYTHING creative, fat chance that will ever happen to them.

It is akin to you working your butt off for a whole summer to buy something you always dreamed of, and then at the very end of all that effort, when you can almost taste that reward, your employer turns to you and says 'I'm not paying you, and oh, by the way, I am not stealing from you because you can't steal something you don't already have'

It's bullsh*t!

And for what? To be able to run a version that his older than your grandma because you can't update it and looks like crap because the crack is defective or something? And then you blame the software and have the nerve to come complaining and asking for help to the guy who created the software and whom you're stealing from so blatantly?! lol

The problems he has with the software are ALL of his own doing - and are all well deserved too.

Jorge, I couldn't agree with you more and completely understand you letting off a little steam.

As for that particular little rat, yeah, what a nerve! LOL! It's almost funny. And he also seemed to have the nerve to think the app was a bit crap. Well, it does indeed serve him right having the problems he has. Would serve him right if it fried his machine.

_________________
nexter - so, what's next?


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:12 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10941
seeker wrote:
not any more than it already can be, i mean even now you could disable a shelf/dock in a 'single resolution' setup and then forget all about it when you load the settings down the road


And in that line of thought besides the position and enabled/disabled status, I now also save docked and orientation status. Makes sense, I think.

Since monitor profiling also monitors screen resolution changes, this would also support different placements for different screen resolutions.

Unfortunately the user in the best position to test this is still AWOL lol.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:47 pm
Posts: 811
winstep wrote:
Windy wrote:
In the screenshot, I have some items there (like my external hard drives) that I don't remember putting there. Is it normal for them to be there? I probably notice them now because most everything is now in alphabetical order.


That's your Desktop tab, and no, it's not normal for those to be there, looks like you dragged the contents of 'My Computer' to your Windows Desktop. Enable your Desktop icons and see what you did there more clearly.

Windy wrote:
Just curious as to the reasoning of them being there and why some of them (like the browser folders) aren't in alphabetical order.


Enable your desktop icons and see for yourself why they are there. As for folders and special shell items, they are always grouped together and displayed first regardless of Sort Order.


Been very busy the couple of days and wasn't able to deal with this until now.

I EXITED XTREME AND THERE ARE NO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES ON MY DESKTOP.

I tried to delete the external hard drives from the Shelf and instead of it just deleting it as a shortcut normally does, it starts deleting files! I had to hit cancel. I'm not sure if the files it was deleting didn't delete because I hit cancel. I have several TB of files on there and have no way of knowing if they were deleted because the files that were potentially being deleted were moving too fast for me to read. I didn't see anything in the Recycle Bin.

Were the files deleted?

Another thing that happened a couple of days ago when I tried is that it said I need Admin. rights and I didn't bother with it until a little while ago because of being busy.

This has never happened before and I can't figure out how to safely delete the external hard drives from the Shelf.


Back to top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.10?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:17 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:30 pm
Posts: 10941
Windy wrote:
I tried to delete the external hard drives from the Shelf and instead of it just deleting it as a shortcut normally does, it starts deleting files! I had to hit cancel. I'm not sure if the files it was deleting didn't delete because I hit cancel. I have several TB of files on there and have no way of knowing if they were deleted because the files that were potentially being deleted were moving too fast for me to read. I didn't see anything in the Recycle Bin.

Were the files deleted?


You were warned before, Windy. Anything you delete from the Desktop tab in the Shelf will have the *same exact fate* as if you had deleted it from the Windows Desktop.

If those were actual folders and not shortcuts to drives, then the folders and their contents will have been deleted. And I shouldn't mention folders in the plural, because you can only delete one item at a time from the Shelf, so...

If they were shortcuts, only the shortcuts got deleted.

Anyway, you're the only one who can possibly know if anything was actually deleted. Open the Windows 'My Computer' folder and look for your external hard drives there, which is where they belong in the first place.

Also, when deleting stuff, unless your press the SHIFT key the files are normally moved to the Windows Recycle Bin, not permanently deleted. But after that Windows will dynamically manage what is inside the Recycle Bin, getting rid of older stuff as it needs more space.

_________________
Jorge Coelho
Winstep Xtreme - Xtreme Power!
http://www.winstep.net - Winstep Software Technologies


Back to top
 Profile WWW 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 675 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 45  Next
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: