Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: NextSTART Taskbar Functional Issues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:29 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Here's a section of a vertical NextSTART Taskbar, docked at right. Several meter modules are present, including the twin NET mod. The theme is Atmospherica. Nothing remarkable so far, one might think. But, the Taskbar background bitmap is shown exactly the same way as it would be on the left edge, whereas it should be inverted. Also, it is quite horribly distorted when compared to the actual bitmap and also the way it is displayed at the bottom. This issue is more of an aside really, and it's theme independent.
Attachment:
_001021-TaskbarVwMods.png
_001021-TaskbarVwMods.png [ 14.99 KiB | Viewed 12728 times ]

The more serious real beef here is what happens in the next image. The Taskbar has been made horizontal (bottom edge) again, and where's the other half of the NET module? There's an empty space where it should be. Yep, you can just see the top of it at the bottom edge of the bar, under the first half - in the same position it was in when the bar was vertical. (I did mention this issue before.) Again, this is theme independent. Only way to normalise the bar is to reload the theme.

Also, the 'Hide' function isn't working properly when the bar is docked - the background, Start button and QL are left in situ while everything else disappears, and it usually takes repeated clicks on the 'Show' gadget to bring the rest out of hiding as it were. This is also theme independent.

These were all, in this example, observed in a setup that uses the bog standard default Winstep configuration incidentally, so that variables due to individual configuration peculiarities could be eliminated.
Attachment:
_001022-TaskbarHwMods.png
_001022-TaskbarHwMods.png [ 14.41 KiB | Viewed 12728 times ]

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post subject: Re: NextSTART Taskbar Functional Issues
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:40 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

nexter wrote:
Here's a section of a vertical NextSTART Taskbar, docked at right. Several meter modules are present, including the twin NET mod. The theme is Atmospherica. Nothing remarkable so far, one might think. But, the Taskbar background bitmap is shown exactly the same way as it would be on the left edge, whereas it should be inverted. Also, it is quite horribly distorted when compared to the actual bitmap and also the way it is displayed at the bottom. This issue is more of an aside really, and it's theme independent.
Attachment:
_001021-TaskbarVwMods.png

The more serious real beef here is what happens in the next image. The Taskbar has been made horizontal (bottom edge) again, and where's the other half of the NET module? There's an empty space where it should be. Yep, you can just see the top of it at the bottom edge of the bar, under the first half - in the same position it was in when the bar was vertical. (I did mention this issue before.) Again, this is theme independent. Only way to normalise the bar is to reload the theme.

Also, the 'Hide' function isn't working properly when the bar is docked - the background, Start button and QL are left in situ while everything else disappears, and it usually takes repeated clicks on the 'Show' gadget to bring the rest out of hiding as it were. This is also theme independent.

These were all, in this example, observed in a setup that uses the bog standard default Winstep configuration incidentally, so that variables due to individual configuration peculiarities could be eliminated.
Attachment:
_001022-TaskbarHwMods.png

Any comments yet, Jorge, after dealing with all those real 'heavyweight' queries? ;)

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nexter wrote:

Or to detach and re-attach the module. Anyway, fixed - when the NextSTART taskbar is rotated all attached modules are briefly detached and then re-attached in the correct positions. Thanks. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
nexter wrote:

Or to detach and re-attach the module. Anyway, fixed - when the NextSTART taskbar is rotated all attached modules are briefly detached and then re-attached in the correct positions. Thanks. :)

Ah, yes, of course! Anyway, excellent work Jorge. :) Now, what about the other two, if lesser, issues?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:51 pm 

Hi...

I'm going to endorse this issues... especially the vertical ones, that need much love and time...

Another functional issue is that taskbar seems to have problems when doing a lot of Alt-Tab. In this image you can see a ghost of a taskbar button is created, and never vanishes... This issues is quite common...

Attachment:
wsGhost.png
wsGhost.png [ 49.05 KiB | Viewed 12648 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

SullyPanda76cl wrote:
Another functional issue is that taskbar seems to have problems when doing a lot of Alt-Tab. In this image you can see a ghost of a taskbar button is created, and never vanishes... This issues is quite common...

Steps to reproduce?

Anyway, as I explained previously, major improvements work by re-direction of focus, and for now I am more focused on WorkShelf. I'll focus on the taskbar again once I have the new system with Windows 10 here (should be sometime next month, it has already been ordered, but the order includes hardware that has just been released and therefore is not easy to get your hands on at this point).

Last time I focused on NextSTART we got the dynamic Quick Launch area with overflow control, smooth taskbar animations all over, plus a bunch of other enhancements, etc... I just never focused on the vertical taskbar because very few people use it that way. Something else I will work on once I turn my focus back to NextSTART is per-monitor taskbars.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 pm 

winstep wrote:

Steps to reproduce?

For instance start to move the tile and release the button halfway...

Attachment:
wsGhost2.png
wsGhost2.png [ 18.16 KiB | Viewed 12600 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:58 am 

Just found an easy workaround: Grab the original offending tab and make it change places with another.... the ghost tab will go away,...

SullyPanda76cl wrote:
winstep wrote:

Steps to reproduce?

For instance start to move the tile and release the button halfway...

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]