Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Weather Monitor Not Accurate
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:00 pm 

It seems the Weather Monitor does not work correctly, I have mine set to Davenport FL, Say it shows 84 Degrees in the dock, When you select Detailed weather conditions from context menu and go to the weather site the temperature is off by 5 Degrees all the time ?

Post subject: Re: Weather Monitor Not Accurate
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

derwoodbones wrote:
It seems the Weather Monitor does not work correctly, I have mine set to Davenport FL, Say it shows 84 Degrees in the dock, When you select Detailed weather conditions from context menu and go to the weather site the temperature is off by 5 Degrees all the time ?

All the time? I just checked it and the temperature is only off by 3 Degrees Fahrenheit (82 F on the weather module, 79 F on the website) and if you convert that to Celsius, the difference is only 1ยบ Celsius, which is nothing (and the temp reported by the module in Celsius is actually equivalent to the 'feels like' temp in their website).

Anyway, the module retrieves the current temp from Weather.com's XML feed. I just double checked, the code and locations are right, and 82 F is the temperature the XML feed is returning, while the page reports 79 F.

You will have to ask Weather.com why there is a difference in temps between their XML feed and their webpage (and there IS a difference, although I would call it negligible, and probably because the website and the XML feed are updated at different times) - this might also be compounded by the weather module caching weather information for one hour, to avoid excessive requests/abuse (i.e.; temps might be one hour stale - at the most).

Ah well. Weather was never an exact science, temps can vary between one room and the next and they can change quickly just after sunrise or sunset. :D

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:58 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Weather.com seems absolutely useless here, as I think I already mentioned some time ago. Regardless of time of day or night, everything's usually out by miles. And when comparing with the BBC's and the UK Met Office's web sites and/or apps, they're near as dammit spot on, while weather.com's seems to be living somewhere in cloud cuckoo land.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:03 am 

Agree weather.com has long time issue with their data feed and the reading always show bit deviation

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]