Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shelf with Applications Folder?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 pm 

So I was trying to figure out a way to show all applications installed. I found a neat little tidbit of Creating a folder i.e. in C:\Applications and then renaming the folder Applications.{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}. That displays all installed applications in the folder, now the problem I am running into is if I select Folder for the shelf and select that folder nothing shows. Now I can individually drag these items to the shelf, however, that it a bit of a pain and defeats the purpose of having it automatically add new programs as they are installed.

The question then is, is this a bug or is there a way to fix it? As selecting Apps only adds windows store applications.

Post subject: Re: Shelf with Applications Folder?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are using an undocumented feature of Windows (which only works on Windows 10, by the way) and you ask if the inability of the Shelf to work with that is a bug? :wink: eheh

What I can eventually do for next release is - if possible - add another tab type that supports this, calling it, perhaps, 'All Applications' tab type or something like that.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 am 

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about it being undocumented since I had to google around for it. It is much more useful though having all applications in one place.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, it's your lucky day, I've added a new tab type titled 'All Programs' (and also one called 'Downloads', pointing to your Downloads folder). :)

This said, since the new 'All Programs' tab type is only available under Windows 10, I haven't tested it yet to see if it works (it should).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:43 pm 

winstep wrote:
Ok, it's your lucky day, I've added a new tab type titled 'All Programs' (and also one called 'Downloads', pointing to your Downloads folder). :)

This said, since the new 'All Programs' tab type is only available under Windows 10, I haven't tested it yet to see if it works (it should).

Hi Jorge
So would these be availble then for GStacks?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

oOSGearOo wrote:
So would these be availble then for GStacks?

GStacks, I like that name lol

Since a GStack can display anything a Shelf does, the answer would be yes... if it worked.

But alas, the bad news is that it doesn't.

The virtual folder doesn't seem to be browsable - you can only open it from Explorer. I think it's a permissions problem, so the only thing I might be able to do to mitigate the problem is add this as an Internal Command, which would open the folder in Explorer when clicked on.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:05 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
.... Since a GStack can display anything a Shelf does, the answer would be yes... if it worked.

But alas, the bad news is that it doesn't.

The virtual folder doesn't seem to be browsable - you can only open it from Explorer. I think it's a permissions problem, so the only thing I might be able to do to mitigate the problem is add this as an Internal Command, which would open the folder in Explorer when clicked on.

As an alternative, why not consider using the 'All Users' and 'Current User' Startmenu folders? I use these as folder menus in NextSTART, although in order to get past the permissions problem in Win 10 I had to add the path manually.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:33 pm 

Well, the whole reason I ended up looking for the Applications folder solution, in general, was due to somehow my start menu and next start menu coming out of sync. I will definitely test it out if you have it available for download as an update.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:20 pm 

no one really to display all installed programs since most of us have several apps that are installed that we don't use that often. my suggestion is simply create a folder anyplace you like with you most used program shortcuts in it and add that as a tab on your self.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RaneMstSage wrote:
I will definitely test it out if you have it available for download as an update.

Not sure you understood what I wrote above:

I tried adding a new 'All Programs' tab, doesn't work, it pops up blank.

So I'm afraid you're out of luck on this one.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:17 am 

Yeah that's what happened when I did it as well. However, you can drag from the folder individually and it will populate correctly. The only problem is you can't mass drag the shortcuts. So it can be time-consuming.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:10 pm 

RaneMstSage wrote:
Yeah that's what happened when I did it as well. However, you can drag from the folder individually and it will populate correctly. The only problem is you can't mass drag the shortcuts. So it can be time-consuming.

not as bad as you think. most programs either automatically put a icon on your desktop or ask if you want one there. now just do the following:

win fresh install
install everything you want
rightclick the desktop create your folder
open it, click organize, check menu bar
on menu bar select tools, folder view, ciew, check use check boxes
now just check all the program shortcuts on the desktop you want in the folder and move them to the folder
now you can simply go into tour start menu and righclick each of the few shortcuts there and drag them to the folder and select create shortcut when the context menu pops up when you release the mouse button
now that that folder is created and populated move it to a secondary drive if you have one(this way you always have it)
now on your self or dock point the tab to where you now have that folder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MrGrim wrote:
now on your self or dock point the tab to where you now have that folder

Not sure that was what he was asking for, but that's not the reason I'm intervening: Shelves, Drawers and the new Grid Stacks support something called 'Regular' tabs types.

If you are dealing with a ton of shortcuts to applications you DO NOT NEED to put them into a folder first like you had to with RocketDock, etc... In fact, that is the WRONG way to go about it, because then you can not reposition those shortcuts at will (folder type tabs can only be sorted by name, type, date and size) and you cannot add Winstep specific objects like modules and internal commands to it.

If you use a Regular tab type instead, you can now not only add the latter, as you can also position your icons in whatever order you want via drag & drop (again, something you cannot do if you are using a folder tab/Drawer/GStack).

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:44 pm 

the idea of the folder was for program shortcuts only, but i do see if you want to add other items to it it could be a problem. now about this gstacks? and about ordering items as i want? i like being able to have a shelf on the right side with a tab that points to my folder of shortcuts, but what i don't like but got use to is the ordering. having say adobe reader and bb flashback below reader instead of to the right of it. i'f love to have them going from left to right instead of top to bottom in shelves on the sides. again i am loving the new versatility from 18.8 on. makes my old setup under 18.5 look truly outdated.

EDIT:
my issue may simply i don't think i have a good grasp on what different tab types do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MrGrim wrote:
i like being able to have a shelf on the right side with a tab that points to my folder of shortcuts, but what i don't like but got use to is the ordering.

On the same Shelf, right click a tab header and select 'Add New Tab'. In the dialog that pops up, chose 'Regular' as the tab type, if it's not already selected by default.

This will create a new blank tab in the Shelf of the type 'Regular'. Now open the folder containing your shortcuts in Explorer, select all the items in it and drag them to the new empty tab.

You can now right click on your old folder tab and delete it - you'll be using the one you just created from now on. Difference is, the new tab (of Regular type) allows you to order the shortcuts however you want via drag & drop. You can also add modules, internal commands, sub-docks, GStacks, etc, to it, something you cannot do with a folder tab because the Windows file system does not support Winstep objects.

You see, when you drop files or shortcuts into a folder type tab, you are actually MOVING or COPYING files *into* (or out of) the folder whose contents are being shown by that tab.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next