Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bitdefender on Nexus Ultimate Dock
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:01 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

bookie56 wrote:
Hi guys!
We could discuss antivirus solutions all day and it there is so much said and tested by different people....
BUT...Avast is just too intrusive and slows most computers....have sevaral customers that have used the free one and click this and click on that and then the computer stops working...
Eset is a really sound product but has become too expensive....and doesn't come up top of the list very often....
Bitdefender for all one can say about it is a good and sound security solution and is up at the top year in and year out....

I will leave it at that because it depends on how you look at things....

bookie56

ESET is not exactly cheap, granted, but it depends also how you look at it. For all the stuff it does, it definitely is not too high a price. And anyway, what price does one put on online and AV security? I certainly think this is a top priority in this day and age. Sure, you can buy a full retail version of Windows 10 Enterprise for far less online, but what use is an OS without good security?

I never put much if any store by reviews, be they user (especially!) or journo ones. Personal word of mouth is a far more reliable source of information and always has been.

A friend owns a small consultancy business and runs a small office server and around half a dozen laptops and one workstation. His IT suppliers/maintainers only ever supply ESET in recent times and absolutely swear by it. And others I know do so too, and that's all the recommendation I need.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bookie56 wrote:
Bitdefender for all one can say about it is a good and sound security solution and is up at the top year in and year out....

I will leave it at that because it depends on how you look at things....

Kind of true, but did you get to read the 'If you are running BitDefender you MUST read this!' thread I have as a sticky in the forums?

An AV solution that throws the baby out together with the bathing water and THEN makes it look like someone else is to blame...?! No thanks. :)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:57 pm 

Avast was great free solution for years, and has been my personal recommendation for free av, but they have become to aggressive now both with false positives and with popups

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:55 pm 

Hi Jorge!
Never encountered the problems you describe and with most antivirus software there is a learning process for the software and us as a user...
I have seen some negative reviews but often biased....
I will continue to use it until I get converted....

bookie56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:34 pm 

Hi guys!

Well, just eaten my hat.....I have tried to do work on my local network servers and encountered a problem with the firewall...
Just had a long chat with them and getting a refund...I am so angry at the moment.... their malware/virus detection has been good but to release a product with "bugs" (there words) in the firewall...just takes the cake!

Not my day today!!

bookie56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

bookie56 wrote:
Well, just eaten my hat.....

LOL. Told ya. :wink:

Did it taste well? :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:32 pm 

No it didn't lol
I found that I couldn't access my network computers (home network) and what was even more annoying that I have just confirmed...

I have only installed Bitdefender on two computers...one being my work one and the other my girlfriend's...I was doing going to do a back up to one of my storage units a netgear readynas duo that has been around a few years and still works great....I had just installed Bitdefender on my girlfriend's computer and was going to backup her files the the netgear... well, the connection was ok but I couldn't physically get to the web interface from the computer...got all sorts of errors with IE, Google Chrome, and Firefox....wasn't even allowed to go to the "untrusted" mode....

I tried the same on my work computer...same errors...so I tried another computer that still had another ativirus software on it and no problems....complained but gave me a connection anyway....

Couldn't even see my network computers with their firewall on.....!!!

So eating my hat wasn't so hard....I appreciate your feedback.... need to install on more than 5 computers which Eset has a multi installation version....

I will organise this today and just wait for my refund.... :D

booke56

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:16 pm 

Well there is a conflict of opinion as to what I can buy from Eset...
If I go to the US site I can choose as up to 5 devices for $89,99...
If I go to the Swedish site I can choose only up to 4 devices and it costs 1044 Swedish kronor which is dearer than from US....
If I am going to get a small business solution here in Sweden it will cost double the above....
I have contacted Eset about the strange pricing and we will see what they say....
But as it stands...it is expensive if I buy it here in Sweden....
For multi devices I can choose 5 pc's for 1300 Swedish kronor...bloody expensive!

bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:07 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Holy smoking frog legs! I just did the conversion 1300 Swedish kronor to USD and it's $144. That's a difference of ... umm ... (starts counting on fingers and toes) ... about 55 toes...I mean dollars.

Bummer. I wish you luck on this grand adventures. (And may you always have plenty of toes!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:17 pm 

Hi DesertDwarf!

While I can agree Eset is a good sound antivirus solution I don't agree with the pricing.

I have had a response to my query with Eset and they basically say they have other prices outside of Europe...So in the US you get it cheaper than us.....

Sorry...but almost all other antivirus software have campaigns for buying their software but not...Eset...

I can get good antivirus protection for less than half that price....

And if I was to get the end point protection for small company and 5 computers I would be paying with tax 2896 Swedish koronor....Which is the little sum of about $320 for just one year and that is just plain robbery....

I don't know how they stay in business...people must like being robbed....!!

bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:20 pm 

bookie56 wrote:
Hi DesertDwarf!

While I can agree Eset is a good sound antivirus solution I don't agree with the pricing.

I have had a response to my query with Eset and they basically say they have other prices outside of Europe...So in the US you get it cheaper than us.....

Sorry...but almost all other antivirus software have campaigns for buying their software but not...Eset...

I can get good antivirus protection for less than half that price....

And if I was to get the end point protection for small company and 5 computers I would be paying with tax 2896 Swedish koronor....Which is the little sum of about $320 for just one year and that is just plain robbery....

bookie56

Kaspersky total security is your friend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:35 am 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

bookie56 wrote:

For a couple of decades, they built an extremely strong reputation for being the best (or very close to the best) at finding "in the wild" viruses. They stand on that reputation.

I suspect people like their data being robbed even less. ESET gives them that reassurance.

(Serious tone used because people got serious. Sheesh.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:23 am 

Hi again!
Well, man can't live on reputation.....or shouldn't be allowed to... I have had other antivirus solutions for years without major problems and have looked at many tests of products....Eset is good but doesn't warrant a price tag several times over all other products on the market....

Kaspersky is also doing extremely well as a product and isn't anywhere near the prices we pay in europe for Eset...

So, sorry...wasn't very convinced about the interest in getting customers from the email I received from Eset....I will go elsewhere....

bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:47 am 

Hi guys!
OK! This has been a long time coming.....
A while back I was contacted by Eset and they wanted to offer me better prices.....which I accepted...
I have it installed on all of my Windows computers and I like the antitheft solution....
I was just checking for different reviews about the latest version and this popped up...can't say I am impressed with the review or attitude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0irhY1GOuI

bookie56

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing.

This said, anyone who relies 100% on their security software to protect them from EVERYTHING is going to get their systems infected sooner rather than later.

It's common knowledge (or should be) that security software is like door locks - it is designed to prevent *most* of the undesirables from breaking in, but it's not fool proof. In fact, nothing in life is fool proof.

The best prevention methodology is both good security software AND prophylactic behavior. If you 'sleep around' with everything that moves, sooner or later you will catch something nasty, even if you use prophylactics (which are not fool proof either). The answer is not to be a 'data slut', don't open everything you see, be suspicious. :wink:

In all these years I only got a PC infected with a virus ONCE (I think it was Jerusalem B, IIRC): less than a month after getting my very first PC, a 386SX 25Mhz. :) I'm a quick learner.

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next