Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Help with "Z-Order" and problem
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:14 am 

I am having trouble figuring out this out:

Are the various options (Normal, Always on Top, Always on Bottom) supposed to affect the dock's default position relative to all open windows? Or is this an application-specific setting relative to the dock? Would appreciate an explanation.

My problem is that occasionally (on certain applications only) my dock no longer appears even when swiping the edge. When I right click on that apps icon and go into Z-Order and select Normal, it seems to fix the issue, but then the issue comes back a few days later.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Help with "Z-Order" and problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:00 pm 

Any help on this one?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jon.s.nelson wrote:
Are the various options (Normal, Always on Top, Always on Bottom) supposed to affect the dock's default position relative to all open windows? Or is this an application-specific setting relative to the dock? Would appreciate an explanation.

As the name says, that option controls if the bar always appears below other windows even when it has the focus (Always On Bottom), always above other windows even when other windows have the focus (Always On top) or behaves normally like other windows (Normal Z-Order), going above and below other windows as you click on them.

jon.s.nelson wrote:
My problem is that occasionally (on certain applications only) my dock no longer appears even when swiping the edge. When I right click on that apps icon and go into Z-Order and select Normal, it seems to fix the issue, but then the issue comes back a few days later.

I doubt this has anything to do with z-order. Try assigning a hot-key to activate the dock and using that instead when you are unable to get it to show (Preferences -> Behavior tab -> Activation Settings).

Also, what version of Nexus are you running (top right corner of About tab in Preferences) ?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:19 pm 

Thanks for the response. Version: 18.11.1367

Unfortunately. the hot-key fix doesn't work for me. Perhaps the attached screen shot can shed some light. As you can see, the bar "refuses" to show up ONLY above certain apps (ie. Chrome) I reduced the window side of Chrome so you can see that the bard DOES show over other apps/windows. This is still the case with the z-order set as "Always Above".

Since I'm running Windows Blinds(by Stardock) which themes the title bar Chrome and other apps, it's possible that THAT is part of the problem. I'm just wondering if there is some way to force the bar to appear above Chrome in this case...

Also, I'd like to add that if I close Chrome, and reopen, then the bar DOES appear again over Chrome.

Attachments:
dock stuck below.png
dock stuck below.png [ 1020.42 KiB | Viewed 8589 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 4 posts ]