Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: NEXUS redraw problems
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:04 pm 

I have a problem where NEXUS does not redraw/refresh properly on mouseover and it leaves a bunch of ghosts. This only happens when either the Chrome browser or Microsoft IE is open. a screenshot of the behavior is below. Can you help me fix this? I had it when we first installed NEXUS, but it went away when I uninstalled ObjectDock. This morning, I installed the latest NEXUS update and the behavior started again. I have an Intel i7-8700 CPU and a GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card with dual 4k monitors.

Attachment:
NEXUS redraw.jpg
NEXUS redraw.jpg [ 163.88 KiB | Viewed 12442 times ]

Vern

Post subject: Re: NEXUS redraw problems
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I asked Vern to post here to see if someone else is suffering from this same issue.

Personally I think this is a video driver problem - if I am not mistaken, IE and Chrome use DX surfaces to render browser content, but this should in no way interfere with layered windows (which are also used by many other applications besides Winstep Nexus).

Vern, doesn't Chrome have a switch for video hardware acceleration or something like that?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:31 pm 

I've already tried switching hardware acceleration off in Chrome and that did not fix the redraw issue.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 pm 

A screen refresh does not refresh NeXuS so no change. However, any program that I open that adds a new item to the dock refreshes NeXuS and clears it up until I mouseover it again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:48 pm 

I found the setting in NeXuS that fixes the issue. If I navigate in Preferences to the Advanced tab, Performance vs Memory Usage button, Advanced button and check the box beside Disable magnify effect buffer, the issue goes away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 pm 

I was too quick to say the problem is resolved. I would say it is mostly resolved. I still get an artifact at each end of the dock and directly above the dock item that was magnified and at each end of the dock where it has retracted. At least it is useable.

Attachment:
NeXuS buffer.jpg
NeXuS buffer.jpg [ 59.82 KiB | Viewed 12433 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seems you are not alone with this issue after all - just got someone else reporting the same issue. I just asked them to post here to see if we can find what is common to you two (or if more people are experiencing this).

EDIT: According to him it only does this in one of his PCs, so it is indeed system specific. With the current Microsoft track record on Windows 10 updates, I'm pretty sure I know who to blame here. :wink:

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:59 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

winstep wrote:
Seems you are not alone with this issue after all - just got someone else reporting the same issue. I just asked them to post here to see if we can find what is common to you two (or if more people are experiencing this).

EDIT: According to him it only does this in one of his PCs, so it is indeed system specific. With the current Microsoft track record on Windows 10 updates, I'm pretty sure I know who to blame here. :wink:

There's certainly something funny going on since the December monthly cumulative update for 1803. Haven't noticed anything directly affecting Winstep yet though. But, Explorer and other apps no longer map my DVD drive until you actually insert a disc. Couple of other minor things here and there toothough nothing too bad.

Just a volunteer Moderator, not connected to or affiliated with Winstep Software Technologies, and not an official part of customer service though I do try to help when and where I can if my scarce time permits

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 8 posts ]