Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 74 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: So, what's next after v18.12?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do *all* the controls slowly redraw, as in one by one? Any chance of a video?

Are there any pages in Preferences that load really fast or are they all affected by this? Have you tried different Preferences UI modes (standard, black, etc)?

Sincerely for the moment I have no clue as to what could be causing that.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:41 pm 

main preferences take a couple of seconds, tabs that are really slow are general, sound, themes and docks & shelves (that last one could be simply because i have so many), about and modules not so much, rest of the tabs respond nicely. item ('dock/shelf entry properties) take about 5+ seconds

different pref UI modes dont affect it at all

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, but it's the whole tab that takes a long time to appear, or does it appear and then the controls are SLOWLY drawn one by one?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

FranzS wrote:
3.) I'm using two screens. While the preferences panel does allow me, to place a drawer on the first monitor, it always appears on the second one. Placing the drawer by using the context menu works as expected. This does not happen with docks and shelves.

Jesus! Setting the position of a Shelf or a Drawer by selecting the monitor in the UI (instead of a context menu) was completely broken on multi-monitor systems.

This happened because of a change I did in the units of coordinates to internally simplify positioning Shelves (and any Shelf subsets such as Drawers and Grid Stacks) while still maintaining backwards compatibility: there were a couple of places I forgot to update the code accordingly.

Anyway, fixed for next release, thank you.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

FranzS wrote:
1.) If the shelf (or a drawer) is placed on the top edge of the screen, it does no longer use the flipped bitmaps (WsFullBodyF, WsFullTabAF, WsFullTabIF, ...). It never used flipped symbols for settings an closing the shelf body, but the bitmaps (if provided) where used. I know, this option was hardly used by any themes ...

Should have fixed this one too.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 am 

winstep wrote:
Ok, but it's the whole tab that takes a long time to appear, or does it appear and then the controls are SLOWLY drawn one by one?

It takes long time to appear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:

Even right after rebooting Windows?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:09 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

after reeboot of windows its fine for some time (dont know how long exactly since my computer is mostly on for long sessions)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

seeker wrote:
after reeboot of windows its fine for some time (dont know how long exactly since my computer is mostly on for long sessions)

What Windows version are you running? Also, doesn't restarting Winstep Xtreme fix it as well? It should.

This might be because of an handle/memory leak (although no fault of the application itself) I just found out about: in my new Windows 10 system (I never noticed on Windows 7, so I don't think it happened there), I noticed WorkShelf was leaking an handle every time I clicked on a tab in the Shelf.

At first I assumed it was a bug in the application itself, but after spending some time on this I eventually figured out that the leak happened on the Windows sndPlaySound API call, which is used to play the .wav based sound effects.

So, every time WorkShelf played a .wav sound (such as the one played when expanding or collapsing the Shelf or switching to a new tab) it would leak an handle, and possibly some memory too. Over time this adds up, especially because WorkShelf is a 32 bit application and is thus limited to 2GB of address space, regardless of total system memory. As available memory begins to run out, memory allocations start getting slower too, which might explain what is happening there since you keep your system up for a long time.

Since this is no fault of the application itself, I fixed it here by 'passing the buck', that is, using the SND_SYSTEM flag in that API call, which makes the system play the actual sound instead of it playing within the application's own process space. Let Windows do all the leaking, it is already leaky enough as it is. :wink: Seriously now, I don't think the leak will happen if Windows itself does the playing, so this shouldn't cause any problems.

Until the next release, try restarting Winstep Xtreme, that should fix the issue, at least for some time. Before you do and when it gets sluggish again, open the Windows Task Manager in the Details tab (assuming Windows 10) or Processes tab (assuming Windows 7) - nice going MS, good way to confuse everyone! - right click on the header and select 'Select Columns' in the context menu that pops up. Enable 'Handles', 'User Objects' and 'GDI Objects'. Also, monitor memory usage and please let me know.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 pm 

winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

What Windows version are you running? Also, doesn't restarting Winstep Xtreme fix it as well? It should.

Windows 7, 64 bit

i will keep an eye on performance and memory use
im not 100% sure but i think restarting winstep didnt help before, ill have to wait for it to happen again to test that

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:46 pm 

seeker wrote:
winstep wrote:
seeker wrote:

there is a slight delay now, nothing big yet, workshelf using 12.308 K Handles 423 user objects 458 gdi objects 340

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next release fixes the NOAA/METAR returning N/A for current weather conditions.

In the next release you will also be able to find new Grid size 'Icon Rows' (height) and 'Icons' (width) settings in the Appearance tab of Grid Stack Property panels.

They're set to Auto by default but can be changed to whatever fixed value you want.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:57 pm 

winstep wrote:
This might be because of an handle/memory leak (although no fault of the application itself) I just found out about: in my new Windows 10 system (I never noticed on Windows 7, so I don't think it happened there), I noticed WorkShelf was leaking an handle every time I clicked on a tab in the Shelf.

At first I assumed it was a bug in the application itself, but after spending some time on this I eventually figured out that the leak happened on the Windows sndPlaySound API call, which is used to play the .wav based sound effects.

So, every time WorkShelf played a .wav sound (such as the one played when expanding or collapsing the Shelf or switching to a new tab) it would leak an handle, and possibly some memory too. Over time this adds up, especially because WorkShelf is a 32 bit application and is thus limited to 2GB of address space, regardless of total system memory. As available memory begins to run out, memory allocations start getting slower too, which might explain what is happening there since you keep your system up for a long time.

Since this is no fault of the application itself, I fixed it here by 'passing the buck', that is, using the SND_SYSTEM flag in that API call, which makes the system play the actual sound instead of it playing within the application's own process space. Let Windows do all the leaking, it is already leaky enough as it is. :wink: Seriously now, I don't think the leak will happen if Windows itself does the playing, so this shouldn't cause any problems.

Until the next release, try restarting Winstep Xtreme, that should fix the issue, at least for some time. Before you do and when it gets sluggish again, open the Windows Task Manager in the Details tab (assuming Windows 10) or Processes tab (assuming Windows 7) - nice going MS, good way to confuse everyone! - right click on the header and select 'Select Columns' in the context menu that pops up. Enable 'Handles', 'User Objects' and 'GDI Objects'. Also, monitor memory usage and please let me know.

I'm wondering what the result will be since you're going to be "'passing the buck', that is, using the SND_SYSTEM flag in that API call, which makes the system play the actual sound instead of it playing within the application's own process space."

At present, I'm able to adjust the volume level of the WorkShelf separately from everything else, i.e., clock announcement, Winstep Media Player and sounds from other applications in the Volume Mixer. I turn the volume level up for the Shelf bump sound and turn the level sound down a bit for the clock announcement.

If you make the change, will I still be able to access and adjust all of the Winstep volume levels in the Volume Mixer?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Windy wrote:
If you make the change, will I still be able to access and adjust all of the Winstep volume levels in the Volume Mixer?

The sounds will appear under 'System' in the Volume Mixer instead of 'WorkShelf'.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:56 pm 

seeker wrote:
seeker wrote:

there is a slight delay now, nothing big yet, workshelf using 12.308 K Handles 423 user objects 458 gdi objects 340

delay is more noticeable and restarting winstep doesnt help (forgot to write down memory usage before restarting)
usage after restart 10.204k, handles 407, user objects 458, GDI objects 321

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 74 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next