Winstep

Software Technologies

Winstep Forums

Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Double click folder shortcut
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm 

I added a shortcut to a folder in a shelf item. When I single click on the item folder contents are shown in a popup menu which is good, but when I double click the item, the item bounces but nothing happens. I expected it to open the folder in windows explorer when I double clicked it. How can I make the item open the folder when I double click on it?

Post subject: Re: Double click folder shortcut
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And that is exactly what should happen (the folder opening in Explorer) - there was a bug in one of the older versions that prevented it from happening though, but it has been fixed already.

1. What version of Winstep Xtreme/Nexus Ultimate are you running (top right corner of About tab in Preferences)?

2. What happens if you right click the folder item in the Shelf and select 'Open' from the context menu that pops up?

3. Can you please post a screenshot of the Item Properties dialog for that item?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:45 pm 

My responses to your questions.

1. I'm using WinStep Xtreme. Version information as follows.
WorkShelf.exe 18.12.1373
WSUpdate.exe 18.11.0195
Winstep.exe 18.11.0117
WsxService.exe 18.06.0096
WsxMMTimer.dll 1.00.0008

2. Folder opens in windows explorer

3. I added a screenshot of shelf entry properties (I assumed this is what you meant)

When I double click, I see the folder contents popup menu appear briefly for a second and it disappears, almost as if, single click is processed even before double click is processed and then double click event is ignored or bypassed.

Attachments:
Shelf entry properties.jpg
Shelf entry properties.jpg [ 57.84 KiB | Viewed 12075 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

venkum wrote:
When I double click, I see the folder contents popup menu appear briefly for a second and it disappears, almost as if, single click is processed even before double click is processed and then double click event is ignored or bypassed.

That is exactly what is happening. I can't remember exactly when I fixed this issue (could have been after the official release and I might have failed to add the fix entry to the history file) so here is what I need you to do:

1. Download a silent update to Winstep Xtreme v18.12 (build 1375) from HERE.

2. Exit Winstep Xtreme.

3. Unzip and run the update.

4. Try again and let me know, please.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:37 pm 

I updated it and Workshelf.exe says 18.12.1375. I checked again and this update did not fix the issue. Still does the same thing.

On a side note, previously, before this update, I checked for updates, but Winstep said I had the latest version, maybe because you did not release build 1375 as official update yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sometimes a non-critical but mildly annoying bug is found shortly after an official release (more people with different configurations running the application) and when that happens I may release what I call a 'silent update', i.e.; users who downloaded the new version until the silent update was released might run into the bug, but anyone who downloads after won't because they will already be running the fixed version. Thus the impact is minimized.

This is done this way because users REALLY REALLY DISLIKE more than one update in a short period of time. Since the bug is not critical, they might not even notice it's there - and if they do I can always tell them to download the silent update manually, as I did with you now.

An example of such an issue in v18.12 was the 'Disable final boing effect' setting for the dock and shelf pop-up animations - I had no idea how many people disliked that effect until I accidentally changed something in the code that made that setting be ignored. :)

In your particular case, I just took a look at the code and I have bad news: it's not really a bug, it's actually ALWAYS been this way in WorkShelf whenever a folder item is set to open as a menu (i.e.; you cannot double click it to open it in Explorer like you can in NextSTART).

I'll see what I can do, but you will have to wait for next release - to speed up the process you can set the application to notify you of beta versions, whenever one is released. In the mean time you will have to right click and select 'Open' from the context menu, sorry.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39 pm 

no problem at all. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:01 am 

Just checking when the next release will be available with this feature.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you check 'Notify me of beta (test) versions' in the Advanced tab of Preferences you will be able to download the beta of v19.2

Profile WWW 

Post new topic Reply to topic Board index : Winstep Forums : General Discussion  [ 9 posts ]